IGNORED

Where do we go from here

joe jordans teeth

49 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Where have we progressed ? 44 games played 66 points, 51 goals conceded 56 goals scored (+5) Vs 66 points 55 goals conceded and 65 goals scored (+10) for 17/18

Exactly the same points, we have let in 4 less and scored 9 less for a worse GD. We found a way to play defensively away from home, that is true, but we were dire at AG as the same approach did not work. 

We have stood still whilst Norwich and Leeds substantially improved and Sheffield United wiped the floor with us in terms of results. 

With 2 games still to play...

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

As Ole said elsewhere, "goals over football" (mentioning Tony Thorpe, among others), something that remains a thing of the past in most manager's eyes. I for one would like a striker who scores lots of goals and frankly I could not give a rat's ar*e what else he does over 90 minutes or if he is an absolute **** !

Exactly. Loved seeing The Pony doing what he's best at for Pompey last week and Jackett eating his words. "Give him a chance and he'll take it," which he did winning the game in the process. Which beggars the question why when with us, like Thorpe and Baldock as top notch box strikers, we played him out wide and our crowd to this day bemoan the lot of them.

What we've been crying out for seasons is not somebody who runs all days or tracks back, rather someone who muscles upfront and when provided decent ball knows how to find the back of the net.

3 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

As Ole said elsewhere, "goals over football" (mentioning Tony Thorpe, among others), something that remains a thing of the past in most manager's eyes. I for one would like a striker who scores lots of goals and frankly I could not give a rat's ar*e what else he does over 90 minutes or if he is an absolute **** !

A striker can score lots of goals but his goals, their points to goal ratio can be inferior to another individual playing in the same position. 

The forwards role is frequently multi facetted. A nine being just a nine limits tactical flexibility = the teams possibility offensively and defensively. 

Archived