IGNORED

Saido Berahino ...

BS4 on Tour...

3 hours ago, TRL said:

I don't understand how thee can not be a jail term once you are caught drink driving for a second time. It beggars belief.

The extent and circumstances matter.  You can be charged for being drunk in charge of a vehicle for sleeping in it, no need for you to even drive it, or you can be done for drink driving for being half a pint over the next morning.

Looking at this case:

Latest: black and white - six pints and driving.  Drunk driving by anybody's definition.

2015: Drinking and driving - half pint over

2012: Drunk in charge of a vehicle - i.e. not actually driving.

If either of the two previous convictions had been six pints and driving then I agree with you - jail sentence - but they weren't and are the sort of thing many of us well have done.  A lot of people think they're ok to drive the next morning when they may be slightly over and I've known people sleep off a session in a car with no intention of driving it but that's still an offence unless you put the key out of reach such as in the boot and not in your pocket or the ignition.

The Stoke City striker was almost three times the alcohol limit when his Range Rover was stopped in London's West End at about 03:00 GMT on 18 February.

The court was told the Burundi international had previous convictions for drinking and driving in 2015 and being drunk in charge of a vehicle in 2012.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-48284235

He was found to have 101 mg of alcohol per 100 ml of blood - the drink-drive limit is 80 mg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-30848162

3 times over is a long way over. Then 101mg going 110! Should have been jailed clearly not learned from his previous conviction.

If you have been done for drink driving once then there is no way you should be going near alcohol and driving. In fact should be leaving your keys at home and taking other transport if there is 1percent chance you are drinking.

I have had a friend banned for sleeping in his car with keys in his pocket. I agree a little unfair but you are in control be it driving it or not. You only have to wake up still pissed and think (in a pissed state, "I know what I'll drive")

It's all well and good saying we have all been there.. that argument is fine until the day your luck runs out and flatten someone.

My opinion first offence lose license and massive fine 2nd offence jail term and license taken away permanently.

Just my opinion, I know others won't agree.

Archived