IGNORED

Phillips - Why We Don't Need Another Keeper....

downendcity

With Tinnion saying he is looking for yet another striker, I've worked out his strategy , which explains why he isn't looking for another keeper to understudy Phillips.

He has obviously realised that we don't have enough attacking options for his new "blitzgreig" style of attack and is worried that Roberts and Gillespie might be a bit too is a bit too defensive in the "holding " midfield roll.

We will, of course, be playing 3-5-3 this season.The back 3 will be Goodfellow and Lita as attacking full backs (that's why we could afford to let Carey go!) and Lee Miller playing as a very deep-lying centre forward/drop back keeper. We all know that Phillips' weakness is that he stays on his line for corners - no such problems with Miller, he will join the attack for all our corners ( how many goals did Phillips get from our corners last season - I rest my case - that's the reason we failed to get promotion)

To boost our attacking options, he's wants Murray to play out wide and concentrate on getting crosses in from the byline.However, he also wants Murray to then get in the box with the rest of the forwards and get onn the end of his own crosses - something he plainly failed to do under Danny Wilson.

Of course, we will still need Phillips - ready to come off the bench to shore up the defence when we have to hold on to a 7-5 lead with 5 minutes to go in every game!

You can now see why we failed to get promotion under Wilson. Tactically he was naive and couldn't come up with an original tactical style. There won't be many dull moments watching this City team this season.

Seriously, I want us to go at teams and beat them soundly. I think we have enough forwards with the ability to score goals if we play the way we can, but a bit worried that Tinnion has an obsession with forwards at the expense of getting adequate cover in key defensive areas.

Archived