IGNORED

Jack House RIP

Maesknoll Red

• Admin

The below is from the Bristol Post - I have copied it over as know the clickbait over there is more than a tad annoying for many

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tributes paid to legendary 'one-off' vicar and teacher Father Jack House

He baptised, taught, married and buried the community for generations and was known to many pupils at Ashton Park School

Tributes have been paid to a man described as a ‘legend in the community’.

Father Jack House, who died late on Friday (June 21), was known to thousands as a teacher, vicar, school governor, community stalwart and huge Bristol City fan across much of south Bristol.

For generations, he baptised babies, taught them at school, married them and buried their grandparents, and hundreds have been paying tribute to him on social media and in person.

The tributes to Father Jack, or Mr House as he was known to generations of pupils at Ashton Park Schoolor Rev House as he called himself in many letters to the Evening Post's letters page over the years, were led by the Holy Nativity Church in Knowle, which broke the news of Father Jack’s passing late on Friday evening.

“It is with great sadness we have to report Father Jack passed away earlier today,” a spokesperson for the church said.

“Please remember him and Rosemary in your prayers.

“He was a much loved, faithful friend of Holy Nativity and someone who touched many people's lives,” she added.

Mr House, 84, was a born-and-bred Ashton and Bedminster boy and larger-than-life character in BS3.

He grew up in Bedminster, and went to South Street School - now Compass Point Primary - which he left in 1946.

He had many hats in the community, but wore each of them at the same time. He was perhaps best known to generations of schoolchildren growing up in south west Bristol as a religious studies teacher at Ashton Park School, where he was described by past pupils as ‘firm but fair’ and as ‘inspirational’.

But he also went on to be ordained into the Church of England as a parish priest, and served as the vicar of St Francis’ Church in Ashton Gate, and also officiated at St Aldhelm’s in The Chessels and at several other churches in BS3.

He was ordained in 1971 and celebrated 25 years at St Francis Church in Ashton Gate in late October 2004, after serving across Bristol as vicar in Knowle, Easton and Brislington, before getting the gig at the church nearest his beloved Bristol City.

He was dedicated to serving the community in whatever way he could - and was school governor - and indeed chair of governors - at several local primary schools in his parish, including Ashton Gate Primary and Ashton Vale Primary.

He was behind the move, back in 2006, to restore the commemorative window at South Street School dedicated to the former pupils killed in the Great War, and later campaigned to get historic blue plaques on the homes of heroic or notable Bristolians.

Vivien Champeney worked with him at Ashton Vale Primary. She described him as: “A wonderful and dedicated chair of governors at Ashton Vale Primary.

“He always supported the staff, children and community even when he stepped down. I feel privileged to have known him,” she added.

Many knew him as the priest who taught them and then went on to marry them a few years later.

He was also a well known character at Ashton Gate, where he supported his beloved Bristol City through thick and thin.

Many of those paying tribute to Mr House said everyone in South Bristol has their own ‘Father Jack story', be it conducting a wedding on Cup Final day and keeping the guests updated with the score, or holding a service during a heat wave with Bermuda shorts on under his priest’s robes.

In later years, he was still a constant presence in and around Ashton, with locals regularly bumping into him and his wife Rosemary at Sainsbury’s, the Robins pub or at Ashton Gate on a matchday.

0_TCR_BRI_240619JackHouse_6.jpg

0_TCR_BRI_240619JackHouse_8JPG.jpg

I like many had Mr House as a teacher aswell as being in his tutor class for 3 years. He certainly made an impact on a lot of us at school we couldn’t ask for better teacher. Remember wearing dangling earrings caught me and took them never did get them back, though think we made up for it when we all left school and had the leaving party at their home. Always thought of Mr House he was a big part of my life, even came to my engagement and married me. Certainly have lost a wonderful man, and a man I’m proud to have known.

Never knew him as I went to Dundry Primary followed by Chew Valley secondary, but he sounds from what I’m reading on here like a top teacher - not unlike our Mr Guard (any ex-Chew pupils of a certain age might back me up here). 

Sadly part of a generation of teachers which are fast disappearing - the ‘board rubber’ event would lead to instant dismissal in today’s snowflake culture. 

RIP - clearly a much loved character. 

Joining this chat very late, but wanted to add my own regards and thoughts.

Mr House was my teacher at Ashton Park back in the early 80's. A long story but due to having an abusive upbringing (father), we relocated back to London when i was just 14. Mr House kept in touch with my mum for 2-3 years by post regularly checking up on me. I only found that out recently. It hurts knowing I cant now ever say thank you

On the off chance, if anyone on this board remembers the Cockney boy at Ashton Park in 82-84, then hello

Archived