IGNORED

Irritation about Leeds Utd comment on Sky Sports News

Lrrr

They said can Bielsa go 1 or 2 better and take Leeds United 'home', Leeds were relegated in 03/04 season and they had spent 14 seasons in the premier league, so they've now spent more years outside the premier league then their last stint in it, may just be a personal irritation that Leeds are still described in the sense they are a premier league club.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

They said can Bielsa go 1 or 2 better and take Leeds United 'home', Leeds were relegated in 03/04 season and they had spent 14 seasons in the premier league, so they've now spent more years outside the premier league then their last stint in it, may just be a personal irritation that Leeds are still described in the sense they are a premier league club.

I think we just have to accept that, like Villa, the premier league "needs" a club like Leeds so why should we stand in the way of them resuming their rightful place in the universe?

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They are a massive club who would enhance the premier league IMHO 

That's not a point I'm contesting, its the point the premier league gets referred to as their 'home'

In fact, there have been 27 Premier League seasons, and Leeds have only been there for 12 of those, so the majority of Premier League seasons* have taken place without Leeds.

*Yes, I'm aware that football didn't start in 1992, but Sky seem to think it does, and it makes my point more valid, so I'm going with this comparison :me?:

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

That's not a point I'm contesting, its the point the premier league gets referred to as their 'home'

Well if you put all 92 Clubs into what would be seen as their ‘natural home’ / ranking I’d suggest that they’d be in the top division , ignore the poxy ‘Premier League’ label 

Luckily they have to win points and get promoted to do so , the same as every other Club

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

History of the English game indicates the top flight isn't actually their home as they are around the 24th most successful.

We are around 35th.

That may be because they are a relatively "new" club formed in 1919.

For me Leeds are one of the top 10 biggest clubs in England. Admittedly, at the lower end of the top 10. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

For me Leeds are one of the top 10 biggest clubs in England. Admittedly, at the lower end of the top 10. 

Can't argue with that KITR I just think they happen to have the countries biggest bellends following them also.

BTW I think my source of data looks a bit naff having had a second glance !

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Bang on. Huge club. Anyone who thinks different is deluded or in denial.

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Can't argue with that KITR I just think they happen to have the countries biggest bellends following them also.

BTW I think my source of data looks a bit naff having had a second glance !

Not sure on what people base this

in my near half century of following City I can think of a number of fanbases who could claim that title (Villa fans right up there 5 , but not Leeds

Massive, consistent loyal following ,and loud , loud , loud , home and away 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Highest commercial income in the division speaks volumes tbh.

Don’t know whether you’ve studied their figures Mr P, I would anticipate you have

out if interest where do they perform so well in terms of income ? 

I know they do well from Tv but is it gate receipts ?

I do get why some people find Leeds fans a bit arrogant and self-entitled for presuming they "should" be a Premier League team despite not being there for a decade and a half and, in general, I hate the idea that teams "should" be anywhere. Leeds are currently a Championship club and they are a Championship club on merit. If they get promotion, they can deservedly say they ought to be in the Premier League. But for now they, like the rest of us, are where they deserve to be.

But all that said, the atmosphere at Elland Road a couple of years ago when they came back to draw 2-2 with us was amongst the most stunning I have ever witnessed. The home fans pretty much dragged an inept-looking team back into the game by sheer force of will. I don't like the arrogance but Leeds do have incredible support. 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

in my near half century of following City I can think of a number of fanbases who could claim that title (Villa fans right up there 5 , but not Leeds

I've never had any bad experiences in the flesh with Leeds fans (bar the odd bit of verbal handbags) but if you see them on facebook and twitter, you really see that they have a huge number of absolute ****wits as fans. 

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I've never had any bad experiences in the flesh with Leeds fans (bar the odd bit of verbal handbags) but if you see them on facebook and twitter, you really see that they have a huge number of absolute ****wits as fans. 

I’d suggest that's more indicative of Twitter and Facebook , than Leeds fanbase

Been to Elland Road quite  a few times to watch European games and met numerous Leeds fans on England trips and found them to be down to earth and sound, like all the Yorkshire Cubs tbf  

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I guess it depends on what influences your world view, personally I find that villa fans are alright in person (a bit depressing if anything) but some are annoying online(twitter mainly) , Leeds fans are super cocky in person and there are loads online that just jump on anything to do with football to say how great Leeds are. I got spat on and cigarettes thrown at friends a couple seasons ago at Sheffield U so obviously have a very dim view on them. 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

I guess it depends on what influences your world view, personally I find that villa fans are alright in person (a bit depressing if anything) but some are annoying online(twitter mainly) , Leeds fans are super cocky in person and there are loads online that just jump on anything to do with football to say how great Leeds are. I got spat on and cigarettes thrown at friends a couple seasons ago at Sheffield U so obviously have a very dim view on them. 

True

And forget my comment about Yorkshire clubs !

:laughcont:

Sheff United have in my experience a high percentage of d********^s

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t know whether you’ve studied their figures Mr P, I would anticipate you have

out if interest where do they perform so well in terms of income ? 

I know they do well from Tv but is it gate receipts ?

Had a quick skim over their accounts for last 3 seasons, Bob.

2015/16- Gate Receipts £8,188,578- as a % of Turnover it's 27.16%

Their Commercial Revenue though, well- I suppose you could include Catering as part of it- but certainly Merchandising for that season- well without the "Catering" but merely Merchandising and general Commercial it'd be a whopping £11,856,166 or about 39.32% of income, and with Catering it rises to a crazy £16,710,797! More than half their income that year- depends if we include Catering or not but it's exceptional for this level and better than a number of PL clubs therefore IMO at least an indicator of club size.

Not had the chance to look at it in full, but once we total up Central Distributions and TV revenues- presumably the former the Solidadirty Payments from PL to EFL clubs, we get only 15-20% in revenue- unsure if that'd be classed as TV or not though.

In terms of pure TV revenue, well in their most recent accounts that was the princely sum of 2.16% of around £40m! Nuts given how often they're on- Commercial Revenue definitely seems the biggest segment of income there though. £881,250 out of £40,737,293 to be precise on the pure TV front.

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They are a massive club who would enhance the premier league IMHO 

I doubt they would be allowed in the Premier league with the state of their ground and flower show tents and.......oh sorry, you're talking about Leeds, I thought you were talking about someone else.

They are a "big" club, but there are lots of big clubs out there.

If they get enough points to finish 1st or 2nd then they will go up.  If not they either have to win the play offs or stay in the Championship (or get relegated).  It's the same for every Championship club.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had a quick skim over their accounts for last 3 seasons, Bob.

2015/16- Gate Receipts £8,188,578- as a % of Turnover it's 27.16%

Their Commercial Revenue though, well- I suppose you could include Catering as part of it- but certainly Merchandising for that season- well without the "Catering" it'd be a whopping £11,856,166 or about 39.32% of income, and with Catering it rises to a crazy £16,710,797! More than half their income- depends if we include Catering or not but it's exceptional for this level and better than a number of PL clubs therefore IMO at least an indicator of club size.

Not had the chance to look at it in full, but once we total up Central Distributions and TV revenues- presumably the former the Solidadirty Payments from PL to EFL clubs, we get only 15-20% in revenue- unsure if that'd be classed as TV or not though.

In terms of pure TV revenue, well in their most recent accounts that was the princely sum of 2.16% of around £40m! Nuts given how often they're on- Commercial Revenue definitely seems the biggest segment of income there though. £881,250 out of £40,737,293 to be precise on the pure TV front.

Thankyou 

Interesting - merchandise  / catering income is incredible

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thankyou 

Interesting - merchandise  / catering income is incredible

Definitely is.

As a proportion and in real terms.

Plus- as per Kieran Maguire- their most recent accounts in a "League table" of Championship commercial revenue in 2017/18- believe this includes merchandise/catering and other all under commercial income.

D3T9CWwWwAIwZgf.png

Bigger than a few lower to middling PL clubs I suspect.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Definitely is.

As a proportion, as per Kieran Maguire- their most recent accounts in a "League table" of Championship commercial revenue in 2017/18- believe this includes merchandise/catering and other all under commercial income.

D3T9CWwWwAIwZgf.png

Bigger than a few lower to middling PL clubs I suspect.

Ta

Going by that then , am I missing something ? or can we stop claiming we ‘can’t compete’ with so many clubs at this level ?

Nobody deserves anything.

However, I went to the champions league semi final vs Valencia at Elland Road. It's a massive club with a great history. Who I really dislike!

If they ever did ring fence the Premier League with no relegation. Leeds would be in my top 20 clubs easily. I don't like them, but it's true.

Nobody deserves anything.

Leeds have provided some of entertaining moments in the rich tapestry of football's history. To name a few: Astle's goal in 1971, Bremner scrapping with Keegan at the Charity Shield, the Yorkshire TV interview with Clough and Revie, their valiant European Cup win (sic) in 1975, the expenditure on goldfish, the (possibly apocryphal) Seth Johnson transfer story, getting mugged for Eric Cantona, and so on. For these, and more, we should be grateful they exist.

Archived