IGNORED

Frame Football and the FA

handsofclay

With some who use this site and plenty of others I play walking football. There is usually money over each week having rented the pitch at GFA in Almondsbury. We donate this to Frame Football run by Nick Dewfall, who started our walking football sessions under the 2nd Chance FC banner.

Frame Football is designed for children with walking difficulties who use a frame. Usually, the children have Cerebral Palsy. It is a delight to see how much they enjoy the sessions and celebrate when scoring like they've just hit the winner in a Wembley Cup Final.

Up until last year, Nick was getting funding from the FA. His are the only Frame Football sessions in the West Country and kids travel from as far afield as Yeovil and Swindon to attend the Saturday morning sessions in Bristol. But this season the FA has withdrawn sponsorship. The reason for this is that Frame Football isn't competitive as the FA want to see more teams playing in leagues and cups and a "talent" pathway. Nick has tried explaining to them that these are kids who can't walk unaided so just getting them playing is a result. But no one from the FA is interested. The Frame Footballers pay £200 a year to be affiliated to the FA but get nothing for it.

When I heard this, I was disgusted. The FA are awash with money and I cannot think of many more worthy causes than Frame Football. James at Bristol City has said he will look into supplying some kit etc, which is great. 

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the forum so you can all, I hope, be disgusted with the FA as well. If you want to know more about Frame Football Google Nick Dewfall 2nd Chance FC.

8 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Typical FA. Is there anything we can do to practically help?

If you look up Nick Dewfall's 2nd Chance FC site there are contact details on there. Individuals have donated kit etc as City are in the process of doing.  City also gave them tickets for the Boxing Day game. 

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

With some who use this site and plenty of others I play walking football. There is usually money over each week having rented the pitch at GFA in Almondsbury. We donate this to Frame Football run by Nick Dewfall, who started our walking football sessions under the 2nd Chance FC banner.

Frame Football is designed for children with walking difficulties who use a frame. Usually, the children have Cerebral Palsy. It is a delight to see how much they enjoy the sessions and celebrate when scoring like they've just hit the winner in a Wembley Cup Final.

Up until last year, Nick was getting funding from the FA. His are the only Frame Football sessions in the West Country and kids travel from as far afield as Yeovil and Swindon to attend the Saturday morning sessions in Bristol. But this season the FA has withdrawn sponsorship. The reason for this is that Frame Football isn't competitive as the FA want to see more teams playing in leagues and cups and a "talent" pathway. Nick has tried explaining to them that these are kids who can't walk unaided so just getting them playing is a result. But no one from the FA is interested. The Frame Footballers pay £200 a year to be affiliated to the FA but get nothing for it.

When I heard this, I was disgusted. The FA are awash with money and I cannot think of many more worthy causes than Frame Football. James at Bristol City has said he will look into supplying some kit etc, which is great. 

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the forum so you can all, I hope, be disgusted with the FA as well. If you want to know more about Frame Football Google Nick Dewfall 2nd Chance FC.

This could be a communication issue. The FA are not awash with money and a case has to be made for it. Without going into detail there should be quite a few people interested as it appears uneven. 

It may be worth reading this -  http://www.thefa.com/get-involved/player/disability/disability-football-overview

2 hours ago, TBW said:

A "talent pathway"?... Seriously?

Yes, the FA get greater kudos if the England blind team do well in their tournaments, the women's team do well in theirs, or the over 70s Walking Footballers win their World Cup. Obviously, anyone qualified for these teams who is a bit special gets highlighted to the FA by coaches delivering these sessions.

The Frame Football kids just want to play football. That's their Cup Final taking part in a session as it is their only chance to play the game against others of a similar level. The FA no longer want to subsidise them because there are no tournaments to gain kudos for the FA and for England.

Yet, we are often told that it's not the winning that matters but the taking part. For these kids the taking part is a massive result.

Archived