IGNORED

Nathan no nonsense Baker

AppyDAZE

All credit to Baker, he's taken his chance to re -establish himself with Webster's departure and he's started the season playing consistently well.

Has he been reliable in terms of fitness, form and temperament for City in the past?

Absolutely not, and far from it on all 3 counts.

Thank God he's looking the part now when we really need him to - for whatever reason his attitude and demeanour looks far more settled and determined.

Well done Nathan, and keep it up!

20 hours ago, wood_red said:

I just got his stats from soccerbase and assuming they are correct, if so where are all his yellows and reds that many seem to think he gets, on what seems like a weekly basis?

2017/18 - 38 appearances, 7 yellows and 1 red - is that high for a central defender for a season?

2018/19 - 17 appearances (didn't check how many from the bench) no yellows, and no reds

2019/20 - 5 appearances and 1 yellow

Are the stats wrong? Or do we only remember a few crunching tackles that are perceived to be non stop cards just waiting to happen?

He has been superb so far along with Taylor Moore, we just have to hope they both stay fit for the next couple of months.

Central defenders rarely get yellow cards unless, as Paulo Maldini said, a mistake has been made. 

CM’s and wingbacks are more prone due to how much of the play goes past them, CB’s usually have all the play in front of them even when the opposition score. 

So I would say the 7 yellows and 1 red is above average, but the main problem with him was he was a lot like pack. Got carded for needless tackles, sliding in on the half way line for example, if you miss the ball and player you’re in all sorts of trouble.

He is a class CB, just think he enjoys the warrior tag that comes with him and likes to prove it at every opportunity 

57 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Central defenders rarely get yellow cards unless, as Paulo Maldini said, a mistake has been made. 

CM’s and wingbacks are more prone due to how much of the play goes past them, CB’s usually have all the play in front of them even when the opposition score. 

So I would say the 7 yellows and 1 red is above average, but the main problem with him was he was a lot like pack. Got carded for needless tackles, sliding in on the half way line for example, if you miss the ball and player you’re in all sorts of trouble.

He is a class CB, just think he enjoys the warrior tag that comes with him and likes to prove it at every opportunity 

An admittedly quick look at this table suggests his record in 2017/18 was much the same as other centre backs (including Bailey Wright) at roughly 1 yellow card per 5 games.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=23&season=20170&category=STANDARD&pos=0&team=0&isOpp=0&sort=5&sortOrder=0&page=2

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The success of Webster made lots of us forget, myself included, how good Baker can be. 

It was rumoured he was bought in as a Flint replacement but he didn't leave that summer, so that's testament to how highly he's thought of.

Very solid defender at this level when he's fit and not suspended.

Yep, and I thought he might be moved on in the summer....I thought it was him or Wright that should go.  

On 24/08/2019 at 23:29, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally agree, I love the guy - hence me starting this topic ... he’s a warrior back there ...

Thanks for pointing out you started a topic about Baker. Most of us know he a decent C.B, that's why we paid a few bob for him

17 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Hang on, everyone was saying he was awful at the start of the season!! Surely this can't be correct? 

In the past he's been unreliable in terms of fitness, form and temperament, and posters were quite understandably wary of this, and said so.

Now he's looking settled, focused and consistently playing well, and posters are giving him due credit.

Seems the norm for OTIB (and any forum for that matter), and imo. exactly how it should be.

The problem would be if formerly critical posters could not acknowledge how well he's playing now, but that's not the case.

The vital thing is Nathan continues his revival and consistency and doesn't pick up the sort of knocks that have seen him substituted and then sidelined in the past - we really can't afford to be without him now.

5 hours ago, marksy said:

Thanks for pointing out you started a topic about Baker. Most of us know he a decent C.B, that's why we paid a few bob for him

You are very welcome ... a fair number of City fans don’t seem to think he’s a decent C.B by the way ... although they appear to be changing their minds ... and the price tag isn’t really relevant, we paid a few bob for Weimann and O’Dowda yet you’ve written them both off on here ...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You are very welcome ... a fair number of City fans don’t seem to think he’s a decent C.B by the way ... although they appear to be changing their minds ...

Me too, I must have missed your thread BS4. Baker has always been a favourite of mine, and like you I've been surprised by the number of people who were appearing to be writing the bloke off a bit too early. Fingers crossed that he can continue to impress, keeps the shirt and goes on to great things at BCFC.

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You are very welcome ... a fair number of City fans don’t seem to think he’s a decent C.B by the way ... although they appear to be changing their minds ... and the price tag isn’t really relevant, we paid a few bob for Weimann and O’Dowda yet you’ve written them both off on here ...

Okay Humpty Dumpty, keep reminding us how insightful your are, some of us just love it. 

Archived