IGNORED

Bit strange, does punishment fit crime- Football Administrators, litigation in football etc.

Mr Popodopolous

Earlier in the summer, Barcelona signed Griezmann. Much dispute over a release clause, both clubs claiming different figures.

Atletico obviously took it to court or football tribunal, unsure which and the prospective punishment for Barcelona seems a bit of an odd one if found guilty.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7472713/Barcelona-forced-close-Nou-Camp-punishment-early-agreement-Antoine-Griezmann.html

I would have assumed that either Barcelona ordered to pay compensation to Atletico, a Transfer ban or Barcelona maybe being docked points. Closing the Nou Camp though, ie behind closed doors and it doesn't specify games etc, seems a pretty random punishment??

Also have a strong feeling that football unfortunately yet inevitably, is going to get quite a bit more litigious.

I'd say that games behind closed doors is quite a strong punishment.

No fans can watch you at the ground- that's one of the heftier punishments is it not??

My main point is that it doesn't follow- Compensation, yep broke a rule to get cheaper- makes sense. Points penalty- yep, makes sense.

Oh yeah the general point- as long as money and investment/investors in football arise- so unfortunately, will litigation.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say that games behind closed doors is quite a strong punishment.

No fans can watch you at the ground- that's one of the heftier punishments is it not??

My main point is that it doesn't follow- Compensation, yep broke a rule to get cheaper- makes sense. Points penalty- yep, makes sense.

Oh yeah the general point- as long as money and investment/investors in football arise- so unfortunately, will litigation.

But who is punished by playing a game behind closed doors? Most players claim to not hear or realise what’s being said in the crowd so it’s the supporters that are being punished.

Now if they’d leave the stadium open & turned around & told Barcelona that they had to pay Atletico £50m more than the original release clause was (so over £200m) it would hit the club harder & they’d be less inclined to try & bend the rules again.

Archived