IGNORED

Brentford (a) - Wednesday - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

So, on the back of an 8 game unbeaten run, we head to West London for what is likely to be City’s last game at Griffin Park, the ground famed for having a pub on each corner!  Barnsley have just played Brentford into form allowing them to slice them open at will in Sunday’s televised 3-1 win.  The “one that got away” - Ollie Watkins scoring an all headed hat-trick.

How Do They Set-up:

In the past they’ve been regular 4231 line-ups, but this season with a full pre-season behind Dean Smith’s replacement Thomas Frank, we’ve seen them in a 343, until the above mentioned win when they reverted to 433, albeit with most of the same personnel.

71DD72BD-6B03-42EA-8F15-343ED2BB8944.thumb.jpeg.99f60010cf5ad2de5f1f84fa2badce01.jpeg
3725CF94-BE96-4E4A-948A-27C6438AE7C3.thumb.jpeg.7f833bc6687abf5f82e4004bf86a090c.jpeg

Perhaps with the success of Sunday’s formation after a mixed start (W2 D2 L4) from the opening 8 games, we might see a continuation of the 433 that achieved win no 3 and movement up the league to 14th.  The big difference being the very attack minded Canos playing RM/RF rather than RWB.  It scarified Mbeumo (Mbappe mkII allegedly!), replacing with the more industrious Mokotjo but allowed Benrahma and Canos the freedom to do what they do best, namely cause havoc wide and in the pockets around the corners of the 18 yard box.

Although it wouldn’t surprise me that with the confidence of a win, and being at home they revert back to the 343, which in some ways would match City up.  If so we could be in for an entertaining game.

The Players: 

GK - Raya - Spanish keeper previously at Blackburn signed for £3m in the summer.  Flamboyant shot stopper, and although good with his feet, prone to racing out his box when might be better letting his defenders deal with it.  Possibly an upgrade on our own Dan Bentley v1819, but not the City version 1920.

RB / RCB - Dalsgaard - Danish RB signed from Belgian side Waregem 2 seasons ago.  Steady enough defender but not as composed on the ball for Brentford team that used to play out from the back, albeit this season a bit different with the next man in the side alongside him....

CB - Jansson - ex-Leeds and Torino hard man signed for £5.5m in the summer after allegedly falling out with Bielsa over the goal they “offered” to Villa.  City fans may remember him losing his shit at Ashton Gate over a flat football a couple of seasons back.  Good defender, wears his heart on his sleeve.

CB - Jeanvier - ex-Nancy boy who arrived in West London from Reims via Lille.  Nice footballer but feel that he can overplay in the wrong areas / situations.

LB / LWB - Henry - ex-Walsall man who was rumoured to be on our radar a few seasons back, when he joined Brentford.  Nippy full-back who suits the wingback role.

CM - Jensen - highly rated Dane who arrived from Celta Vigo in the summer for over £3m.  Does the basics well, but not seen enough to know whether he’s the creative force he was heralded as.

CM - Norgaard - another Dane, ex-Brondby, but this time arrived via Fiorentina.  Talented Defensive Midfielder who played through all the Danish age groups apart from the full side.

CM - Mokotjo - South African born Dutchman, who’s featured from the bench until Sunday.  Workmanlike in the middle of the park and perhaps  brought in specifically for a tough away game in Yorkshire.  Between him and Mbeumo for the starting slot tomorrow.

RF /RWB - Canos -  ex-Liverpool youngster who arrived at The Bees via Norwich, having previously been on loan before his move to Norwich.  No doubting the Spaniard’s skills and can score goals too.  Whoever plays left side for City will be in for a busy night.

LM / LF - Benrahma - Algerian attacking player who drifts wherever the ball is.  A lot of loans in France with Nice, including Angers alongside Famara Diedhiou.  Would normally be my dangerman, but will reserve that for the next man...

CF - Watkins - dangerman - hat-trick on Sunday making him the Championship’s leading scorer with 7.  Ex-Exeter man, widely scouted by City, but taken by the bright lights of London....and a hefty sell-on percentage back to the south west club.  Got it all at this level, and clever enough to play anywhere along the forward line.  With Maupay moving on in the summer, the central role is now Ollie’s and he's thriving in it.

Other Players:

Pinnock - CB - ex-Forest Green Rovers player, signed from Barnsley in the summer

Yearwood - Young Midfielder signed from Southend where he made a good impression 

Mbeumo - Young, exciting French forward shoes signed for £6m in the summer from Troyes

So How Do We Win:

It won’t be easy, but after winning away last season thanks to Eliasson’s late goal, and in the back of 8 unbeaten, then confidence will play a big part.  It appears LJ has settled on a starting 5212 even if that switches to 442 later in the game.  Normally I’m all for squeezing the play, but having seen Barnsley picked apart with a high-line on Sunday, I feel that would be the wrong approach.  We do seem capable of absorbing opposition possession and forcing the ball wide or constraining to long shots.  I’m not convinced Brentford have the guile in the midfield 3 to expose us if we remain disciplined...but of course with Watkins and Canos capable on their own, the threat could come from them getting one on one with our defenders.

With the ball, I can see us creating chances like we did at Deepdale, and as long as we take them, we can run out winners and complete a good return from 2 tough away games.

Prediction:

Not normally one to be confident away from home, I finally saw identity in the 5212 system and familiarity too with everyone’s jobs...so I’m going for a 2-1 / 3-1 win.

Archived