IGNORED

Chelsea v Ajax

Maesknoll Red

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nah, was thinking more of Italy, Spain and Germany- other big Leagues, all have VAR.

World Cups, CL.

Notwithstanding that if the major money men you talk about previously find that VAR becomes bad for their investment it will be removed from service here......imo of course.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Notwithstanding that if the major money men you talk about previously find that VAR becomes bad for their investment it will be removed from service here......imo of course.

Yes true- will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Not fully against it personally but it seems to be causing issues- yet it has potential if applied correctly- a key caveat I agree- to stop stuff we've seen in the past of big clubs getting benefit of the doubt on big yet contentious decisions- would VAR have allowed Weimann's goal at Aston Villa eg and chalked off their penalty? At least one, if not both of these should have been possible or would have been with it I think.

D4DcFHoWwAAdfQ0.jpg:large

As for their penalty...well it was basketball from Hourihane IIRC. VAR would have cancelled out one if not both if implemented right.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not fully against it personally but it seems to be causing issues- yet it has potential if applied correctly- a key caveat I agree- to stop stuff we've seen in the past of big clubs getting benefit of the doubt on big yet contentious decisions- would VAR have allowed Weimann's goal at Aston Villa eg and chalked off their penalty? At least one, if not both of these should have been possible or would have been with it I think.

There are of course occasions when VAR has been spot on and you do think to yourself “that’s why we needed it”. Little things that the ref couldn’t see getting picked up and justice being done. The problem is we seem unable, in this country anyway, to find people to work the system in anything even resembling an effective and consistent manner.

VAR is getting far too much wrong atm to be worth the hassle and, indeed, there seems to be a new interpretation of how it is going to be implemented almost every week............things need to change and quickly to get the paying public on side.

I would guess that next season will be a big one for VAR.

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

I don't understand most of people's problem with VAR, it's there to enforce the rules. 

Unless your problem is that it breaks the game flow down then I understand, but it's there to make sure the correct decision is made. I welcome it. 

Imagine if there was VAR in every game last season, it would've done us some justice with Weimann's offside goals ?

VAR *CANNOT* accurately make any decision on offsides, as we do not have good enough technology to stop video at the precise point the ball was played.

The Liverpool goal that was ruled out by an armpit was probably actually onside because of this type of inaccuracies in the system.

So tell me again how it is enforcing the rules correctly.

(Wasn't there also a red card rescinded this week? One that had been checked by VAR- what a fantastic system /s)

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for their penalty...well it was basketball IIRC. VAR would have cancelled out one if not both if implemented right.

Sod's law, had VASR been involved it would probably have found reason for sending off one or more of our players!

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

As for their penalty...well it was basketball from Hourihane IIRC. VAR would have cancelled out one if not both if implemented right.

I see the questions as irrelevant as the passion in football (which VAR is killing) is more important than getting 100% of decisions correct.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fairly Anglocentric view IMO but time will tell...wonder if it's causing so much disquiet amongst fans in other nations.

The guardian do a nice round up of each big European league on Mondays and there has been demonstrations against it in Germany and Italy. The columns are a good read as well.

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

VAR *CANNOT* accurately make any decision on offsides, as we do not have good enough technology to stop video at the precise point the ball was played.

The Liverpool goal that was ruled out by an armpit was probably actually onside because of this type of inaccuracies in the system.

So tell me again how it is enforcing the rules correctly.

(Wasn't there also a red card rescinded this week? One that had been checked by VAR- what a fantastic system /s)

The technology is 100% available. I'm confident in saying even 60fps video could capture that moment. Whether they use that or not I don't know but i'll be surprised if they don't for those decisions. 

If they use something crap like 25fps then I'll agree with you. 

I think VAR system is fine but there seems to be user error 

So many problems with VAR. 

The killing of emotion from celebrating a goal. That’s what football is all about. 

The shambles of incorrect decisions despite it being used. 

The time taken for decisions. 

The way it is being used is inconsistent!-and told not to use screens at side of pitch so what’s the point of them?

I know they won’t but I would scrap it now. Doesn’t add anything and just slows things down. 

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bizarre refereeing last night. Blind can have no complaints but the second man sent off for handball is absolutely baffling and handed the tie to Chelsea on a plate. 

Watched back the penalty several times too slowing it down by the second and ball to hand or handball?

He turned after the event but natural position... Pretty hard to say IMO!

Tadic certainly thinks there was a foul on Blind in the buildup to it all. Seems pretty hard to say though.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Watched back the penalty several times too slowing it down by the second and ball to hand or handball?

He turned after the event but natural position... Pretty hard to say IMO!

I think to yellow card someone in those circumstances you need to be very sure he’s not in a natural position and having watched it I can’t see what the ref has seen that’s deemed it worthy of a second yellow. Marginal as to whether it was even a pen let alone to send the guy off for it and essentially hand over the tie to Chelsea.

Think Ajax will be feeling very hard done by. 

Heard Adrian Durham on Talksport the other day.

While much of what he says is rubbish only designed to prompt phone calls, when discussing VAR issues he did say that his concern is that since VAR's introduction in the prem he thinks the standard of refereeing has deteriorated

I think this is a worry, as referees now have what is almost a free pass. If they are uncertain about a potentially contentious decision they can abdicate responsibility knowing that either VAR will address it, or if it doesn't then they are exonerated. Everyone is pointing the finger at and blaming VAR at the moment, so perhaps poor refereeing is flying under the radar.

As if to add weight to my point about possible litigation being a factor- no it's not VAR but I see Napoli's owner is to take legal action against some of his own players!

If he does it over what seems to be a relatively trivial matter, then I could easily a rich, powerful owner pursuing action over an incorrect decison costing his side on the pitch- and big financially off it. The modern game is heading this way.

Archived