IGNORED

Referee Gets Fined

elhombrecito

Wouldnt this be great to see in football? Imagine Graham Poll getting fined for making a mistake in a game! :(

NEW YORK (AP) -- Referee Tom White was fined $2,600 for failing to restart the clock at the end of the Seattle-Baltimore game, a mistake that contributed to the Seahawks' 44-41 overtime loss.

The fine represented half of White's game check, supervisor of officials Mike Pereira said Wednesday.

The entire crew was reprimanded for its performance during the Nov. 23 game, presumably hurting its chances to officiate in the playoffs. Crews are assigned to the postseason based on their regular-season ratings. ``Maybe they didn't do their part, but we didn't do our part, either,'' Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said a day after the game.

The play in question occurred with 58 seconds left and Seattle ahead 41-38. The Seahawks' Shaun Alexander gained 3 yards to the Baltimore 33, but head linesman Ed Camp threw a penalty flag because he thought offensive tackle Floyd Womack lined up as an ineligible receiver.

The Ravens called their final timeout but the clock was stopped anyway for the officials to discuss the penalty. They determined Womack was eligible, let the play stand and gave Baltimore back its final timeout.

The Ravens were ready to call timeout again, but White did not restart the clock. As a result, Baltimore saved its timeout until after the plays, saving 40 seconds that it used when it got the ball back to tie a game it eventually won in overtime.

``I don't think we have any cause to be pointing fingers anywhere else,'' Seahawks linebacker Chad Brown said at the time. ``Yeah, the officials blew the call. And we gave up 41 points.''

had a "soccer" game monday night (first round of the playoffs, incidently we won 5-1, 2nd round is tonight at 8:45pm groan).

Only problem with the hawks is we are 7-0 at home and 1-4 on the road. Thrown/got robbed of last two losses though. oh well.

Actually I care about the NFL more than NBA but I'm not sure I'm a true fan, don't really care. As opposed to the University of Washington football which I care about. funny I suppose..

Just to get this back on post topic a little :P :P

After watching Southampton v Portsmouth & WBA v Man Ure over the last 2 evenings, I think Graham Poll & Jeff Winter had extremely good games in their respective matches.

I believe credit should be given when it is due and this is such a time.

They let the game flow when needed & played the advantage rule very well.

And yes Mr. 'know it all' Kamara it WAS a sending off offence on Tuesday!!

This does not stop me thinking that referees should be made accountable for their actions/mistakes.

In the from of fines would be debatable, nevertheless, I believe there should be a format that could be called upon in the event of a referee not being deemed to have done his/her job properly.

The play in question occurred with 58 seconds left and Seattle ahead 41-38. The Seahawks' Shaun Alexander gained 3 yards to the Baltimore 33, but head linesman Ed Camp threw a penalty flag because he thought offensive tackle Floyd Womack lined up as an ineligible receiver.

yeah... don't you hate it when that happens :(

In all seriousness, I don't think it's right that the refs should be fined for errors of judgement but something as elementary as stopping/starting your watch... maybe justice has been done.

Archived