IGNORED

Drop Weimann

Berkshire Red

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

That's right. How can we fit Eliasson into the side? For me it's in a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 or in a 4-2-3-1.

I'm not sure how Weimann fits into either system unless he is on the wing, as he doesn't look capable of doing the lone role.

So then it becomes a question of how good a winger is Weimann. Do we have better? Well Eliasson is better. Arguably as a winger others are too.

In a 433 we don’t have to play Weimann on one wing in the same way as we play Eliasson on the other.  There is something in us that wants to pick symmetrical systems.  But it doesn’t have to be.

If we were to go with this Weimann, Diedhiou, Eliasson, nothing to stop Eliasson being a touchline ‘hugger’, whilst Weimann plays in the gap between LCB and LB.  I think that could work...and either side too.

Weeks ago, we were all looking forward to a time when we could play Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo.  The 433, gives us that chance.  Of course Korey could play too, but I don’t want him picked as a gamble of two starts in a few days.  We have a wonderfully gifted French kid fully refreshed.  Start him.  Bring on Korey if need be to shut down the game.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In a 433 we don’t have to play Weimann on one wing in the same way as we play Eliasson on the other.  There is something in us that wants to pick symmetrical systems.  But it doesn’t have to be.

If we were to go with this Weimann, Diedhiou, Eliasson, nothing to stop Eliasson being a touchline ‘hugger’, whilst Weimann plays in the gap between LCB and LB.  I think that could work...and either side too.

Weeks ago, we were all looking forward to a time when we could play Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo.  The 433, gives us that chance.  Of course Korey could play too, but I don’t want him picked as a gamble of two starts in a few days.  We have a wonderfully gifted French kid fully refreshed.  Start him.  Bring on Korey if need be to shut down the game.

Agree. And this is likely what LJ would go with in a forward 3. As he likes Eliasson right side. And he always plays Weimann.

But one problem with that is that Weimann naturally comes narrow and more or less forms a front 2 with Diedhiou, and like as a front 2, they don't seem to link well, get the best out of each other.

I guess the players in competition in that system on the wing are O'Dowda, Semenyo, Watkins. Not bad competition for places there.

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Agree. And this is likely what LJ would go with in a forward 3. As he likes Eliasson right side. And he always plays Weimann.

But one problem with that is that Weimann naturally comes narrow and more or less forms a front 2 with Diedhiou, and like as a front 2, they don't seem to link well, get the best out of each other.

I guess the players in competition in that system on the wing are O'Dowda, Semenyo, Watkins. Not bad competition for places there.

If he played Eliasson left side - where he started the second half impressively on Wed - would it matter too much if Weimann played narrower, if it truly was a front 3, albeit a slightly lop-sided front 3....(as opposed to a 451), i.e. Eliasson is a left sided forward, not a winger, not a wide midfielder?

I don’t know, just wondering!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If he played Eliasson left side - where he started the second half impressively on Wed - would it matter too much if Weimann played narrower, if it truly was a front 3, albeit a slightly lop-sided front 3....(as opposed to a 451), i.e. Eliasson is a left sided forward, not a winger, not a wide midfielder?

I don’t know, just wondering!

Not sure. To be honest I like the idea of 2 wingers who can each get the ball and beat their player. Cause problems individually on the touchline in one on one situations as well as being a threat coming in field.

O'Dowda is more that player than Weimann. Even Watkins seems more likely to beat his man out wide than Weimann. 

Semenyo probably the one that really excites me in a wide role as he is so powerful and got pace. 

Maybe even Adelakun, who knows. Plenty of wide options. Even Brownhill played one second half away at Sunderland (I think) with O'Dowda other side with one striker up top in Djuric in a 4141/433. That seemed to work as Brownhill had loads of freedom in that role.

Plenty of options.

Archived