IGNORED

Kasey Palmer, any good?

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I see the point, and in a world of teenage wunderkinds he is certainly older than the standard prodigy - but then again, no-one is marketing him as a prodigy. At the same time, he is clearly nowhere near his peak, quite possibly down to his lack of first team exposure previously. At that age (23 I think yes??) I think it's unfair of us to be benchmarking him against others and saying "but look at 18-year old Massengo" or see what Messi was doing at that age. 

What isn't in doubt is that he is at an age where he still needs mentoring and guidance, still needs to fully hone his skillset, and still needs to work on his craft. This club offers the perfect environment for him to develop. Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but at 3.5 million he has not been anything remotely close to a gamble.

We need to remember that one year ago practically no-one had heard of him. Fast forward to now, that he has become comfortably established as a 'useful' player alone brings him credit. Would our squad be poorer without him? Yes. Is it stronger with him? Certainly. Fingers crossed that he crosses to the next level of competency, I for one would love him to do so and I'm excited at the prospect! Go on our Kase!! 

I was just joking mate continuing the joke above where his age keeps being referenced ?

But yes I agree with your points above.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Whilst I agree that Afobe and Palmer clicked (on and off the pitch), are we seriously saying that Palmer is such a niche player that he can only perform well with a very particular teammate alongside him? Doesn't make sense.

If Palmer has a good enough all round game, he should be able to display that in most (not all) games, irrespective of Afobe being in the team. I personally think he's slipped into some of the bad habits of last season and perhaps struggles with the tactical side of our play.

I think even the biggest KP fans can concede he doesn’t have the best all around game. Part of that is inexperience. Even his Huddersfield season he wasn’t a regular. He was used to playing in top teams with top talents. Think that can make it harder for a young player to adapt. 

Good news is I don’t think we has an attitude and will work hard to get better. As for Afobe, he played that style KP was comfortable with. You can’t understate having someone you trust will be making that run. It is up to KP however, to learn to play differently. Been pleasantly surprised with his defensive work. Not stellar but has a go. Now he needs to learn to make the simpler pass, not take risks in the centre of the pitch as often. Get some extra work with Fam and Weimann to create a familiarity. 

23 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

Young age, great eye for a pass, seemingly of good character in the dressing room, versatile and various other qualities besides. That alone makes him a valuable commodity, that there is clearly potential to improve yet further makes a mockery of the original question. 

I'm delighted that he's the kind of player the club are seeking to bring in, and if he doesn't fulfill the expectations that some of us have then so be it, it's not exactly like we've squandered a fortune. I'd far rather City are recruiting KP and the likes than spunking our cash on over-the-hill has-beens who don't give a hoot. He seems a great fit for the club and hopefully his talent can bloom yet further under LJ. 

Yep I’d rather recruit a KP then a Tom Lawerence for example. We just need to realise we do take risks hoping coaching can fulfil potential. Most of the time we improve players. One or two a year we get to a top championship level. A few others start reaching good championship level. One or two flop it is. The nature of our market(young cheaper players) we aren’t going to hit on all of them. Good news is even if KP doesn’t fit here he will retain most his value meaning not too much of a loss

Archived