IGNORED

The progress we have made in two years

Alan Dicks

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

And.... Why not get Gary O Neill back then, loads of experience...... The bottom line is Smith has loads of experience and is fit and did not even make it into the squad, add to the fact he has been fit for a few weeks and Massengo and Nagy have played when they have been fit I think we can see who LJ thinks is the better player. Also LJ will be thinking of the bigger/longterm future for us and that is Massengo/Nagy (on and off the field as in development and transfer fees).

I mean Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Giggs etc etc should never have got in Man Uniteds team when they did due to their lack of experience, when there were plenty of worse players out there that could play in their positions.....

Yeah, and we lost and were awful

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

This has to be the worst post ever put up on here.

To put that sort of progress as down to luck proves only one thing that there is still a manic anti LJ lobby on here that can't wait to seize on any adverse result to spread their bile. Every match day thread 'they' post the most, ruining it for the rest . Of course no matter who the manager might be they would turn in on him eventually, because they cannot deal with loyalty and a belief that sticking together actually helps.  

I imagine they have no concept of teamwork. 

The worst ever - yeah right. My point was that there are many factors that determine league position, notably how good the other teams in the league are. If we finish 12th this season, will you say that we're on the decline? 

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Yeah, and we lost and were awful

Didn't want to comment on any other point of my post?

So we were not good against Fulham & Huddersfield then (shall we casually just forget them because it doesn't suit the agenda of slagging the players/team/manager/club off)?? If we include them then that makes Nagy/Massengo good twice and poor once if we are singling out what we want to suit (so 2-1 in scorelines to Nagy/Massengo)?? 

How many times have Nagy, Massengo & Brownhill played together? Our second against Fulham was started by Fammy, and then a turn by Massengo that was superb started the move off. A turn Smith would only dream off I expect. To single out one performance last night is just plain daft - whether you think so or not. If we had to play any 3 of Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill and Smith, then Smith would be last choice by most people (and by our manager). 

FFS give them some sort of chance - if you can.

If we're happy to moan about bad performances and progression while we are 4th in the Championship, it's probably a sign that expectations are high and we're looking to have a good season.

I'm not the biggest LJ fan, but we've progressed nicely, and we're still on course. We've also got a number of young, talented players that will only improve over time.

The last result was shit, but all that matters is that we respond accordingly and keep our form going.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Only a deaf  dumb and blind person could argue that we have'nt made progress. However, IMO this year is the crunch to see where we finish and what needs to be done to move the club forward if we don't put in a concerted promotion push. After that, who knows. As it stands we are doing ok albeit with a few frustrating blips along the way.

Tommy!

Sure plays a mean pinball

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

The worst ever - yeah right. My point was that there are many factors that determine league position, notably how good the other teams in the league are. If we finish 12th this season, will you say that we're on the decline? 

Yes of course

Hasn't happened yet though has it? 

OP suggested that positions at December mean we are on the decline, whereas only final league positions can be used as a metric to decide that. Which have improved year on year.

If we finish 12th this season I will agree that we might need to be looking elsewhere in the management department, but right now is purely hypothetical, and using that to criticise our management is pointless negativity.

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Yes of course

Hasn't happened yet though has it? 

OP suggested that positions at December mean we are on the decline, whereas only final league positions can be used as a metric to decide that. Which have improved year on year.

If we finish 12th this season I will agree that we might need to be looking elsewhere in the management department, but right now is purely hypothetical, and using that to criticise our management is pointless negativity.

Well that's kind of my point. If we finish 12th this season, I don't think we'd be on the decline from a season in which we finished, say, 10th

Of course we have made progress over the last four years. The quality of players in our squad is probably better than any other squad in the last forty years.

Our away performances are gathering a significant number of points; the sort of total that are usually gathered by the two automatically promoted sides.

However, the big let down are the home games which in the main, are turgid, boring, awful entertainment content. After Huddersfield, I genuinely thought it was a change of tack by Johnson, but last night, it was back to the slow, sideways and backward passing that allowed a well organised Millwall to dictate the game.

I've followed City for seventy years through thick and very thin, you can't get worse than the 1-7 hammering at Northampton, and I've never felt so disappointed as I do now.

I cannot face another dismal afternoon this coming Saturday. So I am walking the dog instead. Unless I get some indication that things  in the future have improved, it could prove to be the end for me. Amazing that we've spent shed loads more money than we ever have and we still cannot win the awkward home games in an entertaining way.

Our progress - and it is progress, undeniably - is steady, unspectacular, glacial compared to a number of other clubs, and only noteworthy when compared to ourselves, and our own poor record at this level of football. 

Our highest finish of 8th (in this Championship spell) Millwall managed two seasons ago, and Preston bettered (7th) the same season; both on 13k crowds and considerably less resources. 

Some will point to bigger clubs struggling below us but most of them have enjoyed PL football at some point (and even finals/won silverware, and played in Europe) and consequently run into the kind of problems the current SL/MA/LJ triumvirate have yet to encounter (ie relegation).

We are doing better than Stoke, Sunderland etc, yes, but we really should be: again, we are comparing ourselves here to failing, basket-case organisations (who are generally failing/basket-case because of soaring so high and trying to stay afloat with the best in the land. Something we have not done for more than 40 years, and remember what happened to us then) on the slide/way down.

We are on the up (still) with new this and new that, and a respected, benevolent owner covering the loses and providing strategic lead and direction. We have enough in our favour (other than luck with injuries, currently) to be doing very well.

On 10/12/2019 at 22:20, JoeAman08 said:

Genuine question, what do we say if we finish 12th this season for example? I think we are a long way off being a playoff side and can see the grind of december and January causing us to drop out of the playoffs. 

My (un)favourite sort of post - basically, “I think we’re going to drop down the table, though it hasn’t happened yet, so the club / Manager is doing badly”.

This happens time and again, people choose to judge on predicted slumps that haven’t actually happened. 

Progress is defined by many different metrics.

All I know is the best city team and best football I have seen since the mid 80s was played between Aug-Dec of the 2017-18 season. 

We haven’t really come close since.

For the sake of the project we didn’t capitalise on the opportunity that was there for taking.

We are what we are now and I’ve made peace with it.

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

Progress is defined by many different metrics.

All I know is the best city team and best football I have seen since the mid 80s was played between Aug-Dec of the 2017-18 season. 

We haven’t really come close since.

For the sake of the project we didn’t capitalise on the opportunity that was there for taking.

We are what we are now and I’ve made peace with it.

If by that you mean January, given sides can be or could have been- though what we now know with hindsight, perhaps wouldn't have been- docked points in season, so I'm not fully sure how fair that bit is.

When they finally get it right, there will be sides docked points in season for failing projected accounts IMO. If that had been us, imagine how that would have been if demoted from the playoffs for splashing the cash in a big way in January! By rights, for example, Birmingham should've been docked in season which may have sent them down. This kind of thing, has to happen for the good of the game tbh. Club themselves submits their projected accounts, unless binding contract for a summer sale in place to bring back into line, take them as the standard and dock points based on the factors and guidelines. Check and test stadia valuations as soon as they come to light. In fact, I dare say this is exactly how it should work.

Nonetheless, we could have spent a bit more, but more importantly could- no should- have spent what we did have available wisely.

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

My (un)favourite sort of post - basically, “I think we’re going to drop down the table, though it hasn’t happened yet, so the club / Manager is doing badly”.

This happens time and again, people choose to judge on predicted slumps that haven’t actually happened. 

Performances have been generally poor since the Afobe injury apart from the odd performance against sides who are happy to try and break us down. Didn’t say the club was doing badly nor LJ but definitely feel like the we aren’t getting the most out of this squad. There are plenty of actual statistics that point to us eventually falling from the top 6. Good news is we should improve with January approaching and two of our most important players nearing a return to the pitch(Kalas and Dasilva). So maybe we get better a shoot up the table but as of now I am going to be cautious with how I think this team will fair because I haven’t seen more than 1-2 playoff type performances for months. 

On 10/12/2019 at 22:48, JBFC II said:

So when it’s your stat about a brilliant start to the season we had 2 years ago it’s fine. 

And yet when somebody shows the actual progression we’ve made on the pitch over the last 5 years it’s luck. 

You couldn’t make it up...

Do you think what you are currently watching is progression  ?. 

Im glad I don’t pay to watch it anymore. 

6 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Oh please Flint would walk into this team. And Dasilva is so over rated on here it’s not even funny

Flint wouldn’t get near this team. 

And even if you think Dasilva is overrated do you really think he is a worse left back than Joe?

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Oh please Flint would walk into this team. And Dasilva is so over rated on here it’s not even funny

The only way Flint would walk into this team was 2/3 months ago when Dasilva, Moore, Kalas and Hunt were out injured.

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

Only 4 teams have conceded more than City this year. That’s not good enough.

People just won’t accept that the “bargains” of Kalas and Dasilva were really just accurate prices for standard Championship players 

Kalas, Dasilva and Hunt were three quarters of last seasons very strong defence during which Dasilva kept kelly out of the team and Kalas performed on a par with Webster. All three, along with Webster's replacement, Moore, have been, out of the team injured for large parts of the seasons during which Lj has been forced to pick a patchwork defence at times,hardly conducive to forming a strong unit.

The defensive strength has not been helped by Nagy's lay off, just at the time he was settling well into his role sitting just in front of the defence.

I still think we should have performed better than we have, especially at AG, and that LJ tends to make too many changes to personnel and formations, but also think that a lot of fans underestimate the impact that injuries have had on us this season. Before their injuries Kalas, Nagy and Afobe were forming a strong spine to the team and we haven't really recovered that yet. 

9 hours ago, Lucan said:

Only 4 teams have conceded more than City this year. That’s not good enough.

People just won’t accept that the “bargains” of Kalas and Dasilva were really just accurate prices for standard Championship players 

And both of whom are better defenders than Flint and Bryan...

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Better? Very subjective.

No one could deny Flint was an incredibly strong and consistent player for City.

Through a  rose tinted viewpoint he was. 

But let’s be honest, he was very prone to the occasional mistake and wasn’t a top half championship defender, despite his cult hero status and goal scoring record 

Archived