IGNORED

Comparisons

CityCiderEd

We are now under the umbrella of Bristol Sport which encompasses football,rugby and basketball. Bristol rugby was going nowhere with Andy Robinson so a top head coach was bought in and the transformation in the fortunes of the rugby club has been phenomenal. Pat Lam was a proven top quality coach that had transformed Connacht into a very good team. He has surrounded himself with top forwards and backs coaches and Bristol have become one of the most exciting prem sides to watch. Now take the football club. After promotion to the championship we struggled under SC and brought in LJ. He did a job and kept us up and has made progress in the league year on year. This is where the difference is between the coaches of the football and rugby teams differs. One is a proven top coach with a great coaching team around him and the other had no experience at championship level and had coaches who also had no experience at this level. We have a very good squad of players at Bristol City but the head coach needs to get the best out of them and give the team an identity. At the moment we have a group of players that are not performing nowhere near their potential. 

7 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

We are now under the umbrella of Bristol Sport which encompasses football,rugby and basketball. Bristol rugby was going nowhere with Andy Robinson so a top head coach was bought in and the transformation in the fortunes of the rugby club has been phenomenal. Pat Lam was a proven top quality coach that had transformed Connacht into a very good team. He has surrounded himself with top forwards and backs coaches and Bristol have become one of the most exciting prem sides to watch. Now take the football club. After promotion to the championship we struggled under SC and brought in LJ. He did a job and kept us up and has made progress in the league year on year. This is where the difference is between the coaches of the football and rugby teams differs. One is a proven top coach with a great coaching team around him and the other had no experience at championship level and had coaches who also had no experience at this level. We have a very good squad of players at Bristol City but the head coach needs to get the best out of them and give the team an identity. At the moment we have a group of players that are not performing nowhere near their potential. 

Ah the old ‘ double negative ‘ trap , what you’ve actually written is that the players are performing near their potential. 
:smartass:

However I do have some sympathy with your intended proposals . 

There are many sound reasons why the club should have employed LJ and quite a lot of reasons why they shouldn’t have .

LJ deserves and will get the time to put things right but if we drop well off the pace in the second half of the season will SL risk sacking him ?

Personally , I had a niggling doubt over the timing of his hiring . I would have preferred to have seen him actually achieve something in his fledgling career before being offered the post .

He has now installed an identity at the club of lovely , decent human beings who all seem to be enjoying their work . I like the image our club portrays .

Is that sufficient in the cut throat world of professional football ? 

I don’t know the answer but have suspicions. 

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Ah the old ‘ double negative ‘ trap , what you’ve actually written is that the players are performing near their potential. 
:smartass:

And there in a nutshell is part of the problem. They are near but not at their potential with some of them struggling to adapt to our head coaches many changes of formation. I'm not sure what you mean by having an identity at the club? You say they all seem to be happy but the faces of the players against Millwall and Blackburn showed that might not be the case. I really want LJ to succeed in this job and to an extent he has done but to say in his presser yesterday that we need big players to compete in this league is strange as he is the one that has signed the current players.

With the players we currently have to choose from it seems we are no closer to finding a formation that gets the best out of them but sadly Afobes injury has really cost us.

Archived