IGNORED

Happy Korey Smith Day

CyderInACan

10 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just watching the highlights that I still have recorded and although I appreciate the magnitude of this game, but what a difference it makes to the atmosphere having the away fans pitch side instead of stuck at the back like this season.  

The logic of not giving many away tickets, as it’s an advantage to the away team, is completely counter productive, as without the larger away contingent the atmosphere is completely flat like this season so doesn’t help us either.

Watching the highlights shows that AG can have an amazing atmosphere even after the redevelopment, but decision made by the club don’t help.

There was fighting on the pitch with fans arrested at the end of the United game which wouldn't have happened if they'd been netted off at the front.

We still give plenty of tickets for league games - 2.7k in most cases - which is plenty to add to the atmosphere.

When we give more, i.e. Swansea, there is a far greater likelihood of trouble, and it's eminently predictable.

The club have got it about right now imo, a good away allocation which is more than enough for most clubs, but not so many that they take over.

Generally it is the more troublesome clubs who would want those extra tickets above 2.7k, and those extra fans are more likely to be non ST troublemakers - the club have hopefully learnt their lesson and won't go back to giving such huge away allocations.

The next move should be to aim to remove away fans from behind the goal to somewhere they have far less affect on the game, and get City fans behind both goals.

13 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

This demonstrates the paucity of achievements and great moments when a winning goal against Man U in a cup game is so high on the"Best Memories" list.

I understand that if you have only been watching City for a relatively short time.

In 70 years of support, we have only won two league titles. Both for Third Division which is good but hardly the top of the football world.

How about an FA Cup Final, although nobody alive can remember it. Or perhaps the win at Elland Road in 1973?

So, the best moments have to be First Division wins at Arsenal, Tottenham, Man U and at home against Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and plenty of others. A four year spell with the big clubs that has never been repeated. Will we ever see that level again?

Even if we do return to the top flight it's hard to imagine any game matching Arsenal away, Coventry away etc.

The problem for us older fans is we were a bit spoilt between 75-80 - although we certainly suffered for it in subsequent years! I've often thought most of my best City memories came in the first 10 years of my support - add the Leeds Cup win, the Portsmouth promotion match and even Chester away to the above, and that's probably my all time most memorable 5 matches I've watched live.

Man.Utd was a great win with 2 fantastic goals but having seen Man.Utd at the Gate 5X previously I ended up giving my ticket to my son who had moved away from Bristol after being a ST holder for almost 20 years and had never seen them at AG.

I really enjoyed watching it in the pub, although I hated the plastic flag waving.

I can well understand why a young City fan would think of it as an epic game - in many ways of course it was - but it was nothing like the magnitude of victory after 2 truly epic battles with Leeds watched by a combined total of about 84k... imo.

I reckon the John Emanuel win v Utd was at least as equally memorable in front of a bigger and more boisterous crowd at AG.

Showing my age, but there you go, football just ain't what it was.

Archived