IGNORED

Thank God for that, well done lads

reddogkev

Massively important win today, we really needed those 3 points and to call a halt to those 4 losses.

I say again, Thank God.  Lose today and OTIB would've been a place to avoid for the next 3 days. 

Well done, LJ, well done you reds, always good to avenge a poor defeat at the same time as picking up a crucial win.

Roll on Brentford.

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Lee Johnson is god!? Brave shout. 

Ha, I like your style, although he'll be hailed as one when he get's us into the Prem, which I feel is going to happen.

Some things are inevitable, and the upward trajectory of City is one of them ...

And I'm not even joking! 

13 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Beat Brentford and we could be as high as 4th. Crazy to think reading this place over the last few weeks. 

Results today showing we’re not the only ones to lose games - West Brom, Preston and Wednesday all losing winnable home games.

Just goes to show what a poor-quality division it is this year. The point is that we could and should be in a much better position, rather than scrapping with about nine other clubs

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well one win against a poor Luton side doesn't change much

It does. 

It provides confidence to go on to the next game. Let’s not forget some of the really poor performances against poor sides earlier on in the season. 

Some of the football today was excellent and we fully deserved the 3 points, that’s a big change from a few days ago

26 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Ha, I like your style, although he'll be hailed as one when he get's us into the Prem, which I feel is going to happen.

Some things are inevitable, and the upward trajectory of City is one of them ...

And I'm not even joking! 

Your optimism is always a pleasure to behold!

I must admit I do not share your certainty. We have looked like play off contenders only to tail off so many times now that that is what feels to me to be the inevitability.

Having said that, today was a better result than some are giving credit for. Of course it was Luton and there are far stronger teams in the division but what impressed - and relieved me - was how much confidence and verve the team played with. Eliasson and Diedhiou in particular played as though a weight has been lifted off their shoulders and as though they were finally being allowed to play their game rather than squeeze into a style that did not fit. The team actually looked like they were enjoying themselves and, after some drab home performances, I enjoyed watching them.

Brentford will be a very different challenge and I am not getting carried away but it was good to see a confident performance, especially as recent form might have made the team play within themselves.

Good win today, but Luton are a poor side.

Keeps us in touch with the rest of the pack heading into the New Year at least.

We really need to start building some momentum and belief if we want to stake a claim for the playoffs.

Some individual excellent performances today. A bit nervy at times but a clean sheet is always good regardless of the quality of the opposition.

Taking skill, ability and determination as a given........the most important trait a footballer can have is confidence.   This victory has stopped the rot, and whoever the oppostion are,  that can only instil the necessary confidence in the team.   As we have lost four on the bounce, equally we can also string a series of wins together, in a league where anybody can beat anybody.   Look at Preston, Sheff Wed and WBA results today?

36 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Beat Brentford and we could be as high as 4th. Crazy to think reading this place over the last few weeks. 

Results today showing we’re not the only ones to lose games - West Brom, Preston and Wednesday all losing winnable home games.

This is the main point missed by most.....the championship is such a close league....lose a few and it could ruin your season. 

One game has the potential to buck the trend......that potential still needs to be realised.....we have the potential to upset Brentford.....the passion and desire must be there from the outset. Brentford are a good footballing team....dis-respect them they'll destroy us.

Fingers crossed for the next one - COYRs!

28 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Precisely.  Listening to those around me simultaneously reading out the above scorelines from their phones whilst also discussing our recent run with overwhelming negativity and incredulity makes me smile to myself.  We are not immune from such results, and neither is any other team in this league.  The much peddled cliche about The Championship is a little obvious but also entirely true, these type of results happen frequently and at one time or another to every team in the division.  

I'm sure some people think all of the other 23 teams in The Championship all win every week with sparkling football and it's only us that ever suffers defeats. 

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Can't see it

Well, just look a bit harder!  I've long held the view that LJ is the man to imitate Howe for City, and with longevity and job safety, comes the confidence to keep on trying and improving.

I feel promotion will happen within next 2 or 3 years.  The investment and infrastructure suggests the club is only going one way.

It's only a matter of time, and despite the noise on here sometimes, Lee is improving each season as a manager.

31 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

Good win today, but Luton are a poor side.

Keeps us in touch with the rest of the pack heading into the New Year at least.

We really need to start building some momentum and belief if we want to stake a claim for the playoffs.

Some individual excellent performances today. A bit nervy at times but a clean sheet is always good regardless of the quality of the opposition.

We've been beaten by many poor sides over the years!!

5 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

There's no silver lining for some of the negative people on the forum. I'd be surprised if @AshtonGreat was inside Ashton Gate today.

You're correct, I wasn't. Being 2pts off fourth place is of course decent - all I'm saying is that we are now in something of a lottery with a lot of other clubs, when we could've been in a much more comfortable position

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

You're correct, I wasn't. Being 2pts off fourth place is of course decent - all I'm saying is that we are now in something of a lottery with a lot of other clubs, when we could've been in a much more comfortable position

That's much more positive phrasing :).  City were full of fight & spirit today & confidence has returned in time for a potentially great game on New Years Day.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Well, just look a bit harder!  I've long held the view that LJ is the man to imitate Howe for City, and with longevity and job safety, comes the confidence to keep on trying and improving.

I feel promotion will happen within next 2 or 3 years.  The investment and infrastructure suggests the club is only going one way.

It's only a matter of time, and despite the noise on here sometimes, Lee is improving each season as a manager.

At what point does he leave the project to go to Burnley? ?

Think we need to treat this result with kid gloves, considering what happened after the Huddersfield result.

The moment we look convincing at home against mid/lower mid table and above sides, I'll be swayed that things are turning in the right direction. Playing against sides like Luton and Huddersfield where there are wide open gaps down the flanks to drill the ball in at will are not good to make comparisons against well drilled tactical sides that seem to nullify us without too much effort!

Archived