IGNORED

Wigan pubs.

BCFC1512

• Admin

Simon Wright a visiting West Bromwich Albion fan informs me; 'Beside the away turnstiles is an entrance to the large indoor Marquee Bar, specifically for the use of away fans. It has the usual bar, big screen television and sells pies, as well as teas and coffees. It's a great comfortable facility and welcomes families.' I was particularly impressed with this facility and with a stage on one side and low lighting, I was almost waiting for the dancers to emerge! However on my last visit, the queues to get served were quite long eventhough there wasn't a particularly large away following in attendance. Otherwise the traditional pub for away fans visiting the DW stadium is the Red Robin, which is only a few minutes walk away from the ground opposite the Cinema Complex. 

The centre of town is about a 20 minute walk away where you will find a Wetherspoons outlet called the 'Moon Under Water' which was popular with away supporters on my last visit. Also worth a visit is the award winning 'Anvil' pub, which is located next to the bus station and is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Also worth a mention is the Berkeley on Wallgate (near the railway station). This fair sized pub, had a good mix of home and away supporters on my last visit, serves five ever changing real ales and shows Sky Sports on a huge screen. Andrew MacGregor adds; 'The Swan and Railway pub opposite North Western railway station were very welcoming. They encouraged us to put our Reading flag up in the window and were very pleasant to us all'.

On the concourse, alcohol is available in the form of draught Heineken (£4.20), John Smith's (£3.80), Strongbow (£4.20), plus small bottles of wine (£4). There are two counters serving beer and to try and bring some the order, at the largest one there is a queuing system in force which is overseen by the stewards. Plus there is a limit of buying two pints per person, so can you can get served relatively quickly compared to some other grounds. My only slight gripe is that no food is served from these outlets, meaning that you have to queue up again at a different counter for that. On occasions where the away end is sold (or almost sold out) then the Marquee Bar is opened at half time too.

From the football ground guide 

Archived