IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin
13 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Club is stating that 10,000 tickets have been sold for Sunday night's televised game against Arsenal. Good news, just hope the increased attendance will give the girls a boost.

Sadly I expect just like the game against Liverpool at the back end of the season two seasons ago, the vast majority of those there will be there because of the name of the opponent and no doubt the chance to see a couple of Lionesses live so will be pretty meh about who they are supporting

I really don't expect too many extra will be there to support City

I'm at an event with Gazza in Bristol in the afternoon, hoping to get back across Bristol for KO

Haven't been on OTIB in a while so posting now. Good to make the trip up with other City supporters. Saw @SinéadB as well who was in the North for the weekend (and saw Harrogate v Stockport the day before). Was at the Academy Stadium (as it was then called) for the Conti Cup quarter final in 2022, but Sunday had a much bigger crowd - which I don't think was announced at the time.

Unfortunately missed KO as I had to walk 10 mins back to the car park due to the club not allowing the drum that I brought with me (it's not mine, it belongs to supporters who couldn't make it). Surprisingly, I didn't miss any goals. Wasn't expecting much anyway, especially to a side pushing for the title, but to lose the way we did was disappointing.

Some of us made noise anyway, but couldn't really sing "City" songs as I didn't want the home fans to think we were singing about their team...

Much better second half, and Marckese made some great saves but was also responsible for Bunny Shaw's second goal as her save landed for Bunny to head in. Also, conceding five headers is a unique fact!

Heard Oasis playing as I left, so I don't think it can get any more Man City than that...

DSC_4415.JPG

DSC_4416.JPG

DSC_4417.JPG

DSC_4419.JPG

DSC_4420.JPG

DSC_4421.JPG

DSC_4422.JPG

DSC_4423.JPG

DSC_4424.JPG

DSC_4425.JPG

DSC_4426.JPG

DSC_4427.JPG

DSC_4428.JPG

DSC_4429.JPG

DSC_4430.JPG

DSC_4431.JPG

DSC_4432.JPG

DSC_4433.JPG

DSC_4434.JPG

• Like 2

On 17/10/2023 at 10:04, Cidre Monita said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed but does anyone know roughly/ballpark figure how much the City girls get paid? And how does it compare to the other clubs. 

I have no idea but even the highest paid WSL footballers only get somewhere between £20k-£30k, I assume 

• Admin
On 17/10/2023 at 10:04, Cidre Monita said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed but does anyone know roughly/ballpark figure how much the City girls get paid? And how does it compare to the other clubs. 

In August it was reported that the lowest salary was approx £20k per year, highest is approx £400k per year, with average salary being £47k per year

Sam Kerr was reportedly the highest paid player earning £398k per year 

SOURCE: Women’s football numbers comparison: prize money, wages and bonuses | Evening Standard

Birmingham and Spurs were the lowest paying clubs with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City unsurprisingly being the highest payers

SOURCE: Women's Super League wages revealed with stars earning 50 TIMES less than male counterparts | The Sun

I think that it is safe to assume that we will now be a the bottom end of those scales if not lowering the lowest salary

• Thanks 2

I am interested in the women's team, but can't say I followed this summer's transfer dealings. Would anyone better informed be able to summarise the situation at the club? It looks like we're in for a struggle. 

It seems a real shame and an opportunity missed that we wouldn't 'go for it' as much as we can whilst we're still one of the bigger teams in the country. The women's game is growing massively. I wonder whether in 100 years City fans will look back on these years as the golden age for Bristol City WFC – much like our only men's FA Cup final was 120 odd years ago now! 

At the very least, it's embarrassing that we're being tonked every week and the match reports being so prominent on BBC Sport and Sky. Whether you have much interest in the women's game or not, it's still Bristol City being prominently embarrassed every week at the moment. Frustrating. 

Or have I got this wrong? Do we still live in hope?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robin101 said:

I am interested in the women's team, but can't say I followed this summer's transfer dealings. Would anyone better informed be able to summarise the situation at the club? It looks like we're in for a struggle. 

It seems a real shame and an opportunity missed that we wouldn't 'go for it' as much as we can whilst we're still one of the bigger teams in the country. The women's game is growing massively. I wonder whether in 100 years City fans will look back on these years as the golden age for Bristol City WFC – much like our only men's FA Cup final was 120 odd years ago now! 

At the very least, it's embarrassing that we're being tonked every week and the match reports being so prominent on BBC Sport and Sky. Whether you have much interest in the women's game or not, it's still Bristol City being prominently embarrassed every week at the moment. Frustrating. 

Or have I got this wrong? Do we still live in hope?

I think its the same for the mens team as well.

Tightening the purse strings at exactly the wrong time. Probably because SL has over stretched with all the developments and the Guernsey hotel and golf course. Its his call as its his money, but it is incredibly frustrating.

Its possible that both managers get the elbow and new managers get the money. 

On 18/10/2023 at 15:51, phantom said:

In August it was reported that the lowest salary was approx £20k per year, highest is approx £400k per year, with average salary being £47k per year

Sam Kerr was reportedly the highest paid player earning £398k per year 

SOURCE: Women’s football numbers comparison: prize money, wages and bonuses | Evening Standard

Birmingham and Spurs were the lowest paying clubs with Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City unsurprisingly being the highest payers

SOURCE: Women's Super League wages revealed with stars earning 50 TIMES less than male counterparts | The Sun

I think that it is safe to assume that we will now be a the bottom end of those scales if not lowering the lowest salary

Ok so given that a very rudimentary guess that the City girls have a squad of c20 players earning average of £25k equalling £500k per annum (no transfer fees applicable). Double that for operating costs and management/coaches wages and you get to £1M. So the City Ladies annual budget effectively equals the transfer fee of Marley Watkins!! 

• Like 1

City players announced (so far) for their countries for international break:

WALES (Nations League games v Germany & Denmark)
Liv Clark, Ella Powell, Ffion Morgan, Carrie Jones

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND (Nations League games v Albania)
Megan Connolly, Chloe Mustaki

SCOTLAND (Nations League games v Netherlands)
Jamie-Lee Napier, Amy Rodgers

ENGLAND U23 (games against Italy & Portugal)
Naomi Layzell

WALES U19 (WU19 EURO qualifiers against Czechia, England, Greece)
Tianna Teisar
Manon Pearce

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-women-news/gate-guide-arsenal-women/

In this article confirms a Q&A with Kaylan Marckese, which is the strongest hint that she won't play on Sunday (and can't anyway due to being on loan from Arsenal).

Fran Bentley is still out injured so it looks like Liv Clark will start in goal

• Admin
8 hours ago, CreekRed said:

Hi. I’m taking my daughters to the game on Sunday and they would love to get an autograph or two from the arsenal players (we are City supporters tho) what time do people think the away coach will arrive to get autographs? 
thanks in advance 

Hate to say it's very likely that before the game this won't be possible. 

The coach normally pulls up and the players walk straight into the ground - many will no doubt have headphones on as if to say I can't hear you 

Any chance will more likely be after the game and even more so after the teams go off then they'll come back out to do their warm downs. 

Then possibly also when getting back onto the coach 

Teams can arrive anything up to 2 hours before kick off 

It's also clear that a huge majority of those going to the game are there to see Arsenal and no doubt the Lionesses contingent so will imagine many have the same plans 

Hopefully everyone gets an opportunity to meet some of the players. 

One very important thing is that our team do make an effort to sign as many autographs etc after the game for those in the lower Lansdown Stand 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

No update from our club yet, but Man United have confirmed that Jess Simpson's injury is indeed an ACL one, effectively ruling her out for the season & ending her loan spell

That's a real sickener. GWS Jess!

• Like 2

From Friday's press conference (so it was before Jess Simpson's ACL injury was announced)

https://www.girlsontheball.com/2023/10/in-the-managers-words-barclays-wsl-21-22-october-2023/

Lauren Smith | Pre-Arsenal

On team news:

Nothing that's changed. Kaylen Marckese is tied because it's Arsenal so she can't play against her own team. That's the only real difference.

We haven't had the complete results on Jess Simpson yet. Because she's a loanee, it's between us and Man United on those things. So at the moment, it's not quite confirmed what the next steps are for.

On main lessons so far:

I think we're still finding our feet. It's not that it's happened just yet. We're a new squad building together and there's some positives to take from each game. That's kind of the lesson and what we take into it. The part is we need to be harder to beat. We need to prevent crosses when we play Man City; we need to prevent runners in behind when we play Arsenal. So, we know that there's things every week that's going to pick us apart. We just know that right now our defensive game needs to be the thing that really gets stronger, quicker.

On learnings from Manchester City performance:

There were a couple of key parts to the game in the second half. In terms of defending the box, we were a lot cleaner. We ensured that their success rate of crosses was low in the second half. And it all comes down to the second half because that's where the improvements lay really. However, we did start really strong against Man City start. We started with a press, I think maybe a shot, and two corners. So, you can't discount those moments either. Because you do that and you get a decent delivery, we get contact on, it could change the game and then you're not the ones chasing. So, we don't want to take away those moments where we're just playing free, but at the same time be realistic of what can happen at the other end.

On things they need to build on:

That's one of the two things really. I think the other part is we've been quite wasteful when we do get the ball. We're not expecting to have it for loads of time against Man City and Arsenal but when we do, we know that we can be better at that. That's something that the players already know. It doesn't mean that we're going to start with some crazy stats on possession, but what it means is when we do get it, we create opportunities, we get up a pitch, and we press a little bit higher. Those things are really going to be key as well to make sure that we're moving in the right direction.

On working on defensive frailties:

Absolutely. And that's not me putting it on the backline, or the goalkeepers, it's completely the whole team when we don't have the ball. So, it's not just looking at the shot that goes in, it's how it comes there. When you look at Man City, they're the best team in the league at crossing and they managed to score five headers against us. So, that is disappointing and that's where we've been frustrated with that. You look at how we can improve that as defending wide areas, preventing crosses, and then also defending the box when the cross does come in. So absolutely, it's about the whole team and how we can help each other to get stronger when we don't have the ball.

On learning how to recover from setbacks:

I think it's the moments after big moments as well that we need to make sure that we've got our heads clear for and refocus. We've lost a goal and then another one has come quite quickly in a few games, and I think because that's the thing that pushes us and kills us or kills a half of a game. So, one of the big focuses is to make sure that if there is a moment that really knocks us off our tracks that we get back on before that happens again as well. So, that's part of the learning curve. I think this league is teaching us quickly that you do get punished and when you do it, it is a ball in the back of the net. It's not just a chance or a warning; it's on score line.

The players have shown that even this week after a heavy defeat last week. They've come into training, their attitude and focus to just get back and go again has being excellent. So, I can't question that they're absolutely in and trying to do everything that they possibly can. That's half of the battle sometimes and I know that we've already got that.

I think there's a big 10 minutes either side of the half, when you start games and finish them, and then when any key moments happen. Those key moments aren't just goals for and against. I think it's when the team swinging one way. So, it's something we're very aware of and it's something we discuss and try to work towards. I think the big thing right now is when things don't go your way on the pitch, if there's a couple of fouls against you, maybe if they're smaller ones that you're not quite happy with, I think those moments really are the ones that we need to refocus and go after because you know when a goal has gone in you're chasing, but you just need to know when the game is swinging for you or for them.

On preparing the players from Arsenal:

It's a challenge because at no point did anybody sign here and win the Championship to not do that. They want to be in that starting 11 and they want to be going up against the players that you're talking about. And again, there's no point in hiding it. What those players can do, what Alessia Russo can do, what Beth Mead possibly can do, if she's available for longer than last week...we've got to be realistic about their talent. But then also give the players the tools to know how to deal with that and hopefully affect their game.

On whether playing Arsenal straight after Manchester City game is a positive:

I mean you can put them into context with each other. You know, a top four team and knowing where we had made errors that allowed Man City into the game and wanting to put that right and change it. That's something the players have shown that they can do. With a 5-0 first half and a 0-0 second half, that was because they were fired up and they were annoyed. Hopefully, if we're saying, "These are the xs, go fix them", there's an opportunity. So, I think, yes, it is good. Hopefully, we'll see some impact. I'll hopefully answer that after the game.

On finding the balance in managing when results aren’t going her way:

We've been building the foundation of how we do things for a few years. Just because this year's the WSL, it means that we can still fall on that. A lot of it's down to honesty. When things don't go right, we don't sugar-coat it. But equally the players don't. They want to know what they can do, what's better, and what did go well, and they kind of have accountability as a team anyway. So, that's not new. There were moments last year that we weren't happy with, and we had some hard conversations around that. We haven't got to that point yet.

On the leadership within the group:

That's the thing. The 15 minutes at half-time, you don't actually get that long at all. There's a time to walk in and walk out; they have their own time within that. So, you've got a couple of moments at max. So, you have to ensure that the team are saying the right things when they're in there together. I believe that the group were and when we walked in last Sunday at Man City, they proved that. They'd already decided what they wanted. I asked, "What do you want out of the second half?" They came back with the answers and then they held themselves accountable for that. So, it's easy in terms of those moments because nobody wants to be in that situation, and they pull together. For us, it's just about trying to solve some problems for the second half rather than do all the shouting.

On the importance of learning from every game:

Everybody wants to go into every challenge with an opportunity, and that's what we've got, right? It's 11 vs 11, one of the cliches of football. Somebody has a bad day; somebody has a good day - we have to be able to fall on those things. But we also need to be able to put things into place and start building the blocks that take us forward regardless of who the game is on the Sunday. What does it look like after the international break? What does it look like when we're fighting to go into the end of the season. So, whatever we do now to make sure that we're in a good place - it could be a result, or it could not be - builds us into the next game and the next game after that.

On the difference between the Championship and the WSL:

I think it's as we expected. You know that it's more clinical. The players that you come up against are all of a certain level and it's a lot higher. So, there aren't weaknesses as such within a team or within an individual. You know that everybody's good on the ball, that they'll have all their individual skill that pulls them apart from someone else. So, yeah, how clinical teams are is not a surprise. And it's something that we have to make sure that we become as well.

On playing at Ashton Gate:

It's incredible. Every time we step into Ashton Gate, and we break a new record or it's a big occasion, like it was with Charlton, I think they're moments that the players and the staff relish. I'm so proud of the city, the stadium, and everyone that we've got this again. It's then down to us to make sure that we put a show on that makes them come back. But I think it's an incredible number and yes, it really shows the work that's been put in throughout the club.

It's been excellent when we've had those moments. I spoke about it after the Leicester game, even though we were losing the game at the time, and we had a break out and the noise in the crowd was incredible. And the fact that everybody was really behind us, I think those are the really key moments that we've got. So, hopefully, it's a good experience for everyone that the crowd are on our side. And we give them something to cheer about that make people want to come back so that it's not just the Arsenal that we get and 10,000 plus for; it's week in, week out when we're at home at Ashton Gate.

On building sustainability as a club:

I think there's things that get missed as well. What we do around games, and what we want to do for the community is really important. Every home game this year, we're going to have a local charity attend...and that's come from the players as well. So, it's not just about just the top of the tree and what that looks like. It's about making sure that we impact the people that come to support us week in, week out, and we can help them as well.

I haven't been to The Rising Sun in a while (am also aware it reopened some time ago). For the men's game, are away fans allowed in there? I think it's the Coopers Arms on a men's matchday where it's home fans only...

Although if I have time, I might go to the Masonic, El Rincon and/or Coopers before the game...

Edited by shahanshahan

On 21/10/2023 at 14:36, shahanshahan said:

FT Aston Villa 2-4 Tottenham.

Villa scored first but then Martha Thomas scored a hat trick for Spurs.

Villa the only other team on 0 points. If City don't lose tomorrow against Arsenal, they can move above Villa in the table...

If your interested..........City are 55/1 To win, 14/1 to draw?

On 21/10/2023 at 00:28, CreekRed said:

Hi. I’m taking my daughters to the game on Sunday and they would love to get an autograph or two from the arsenal players (we are City supporters tho) what time do people think the away coach will arrive to get autographs? 
thanks in advance 

Probably be able to get an autograph after Arsenal’s 6th goal just before half time