IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

• Admin
1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

Great to see the news come true! Unfortunately I missed it at the time as I was down at the Gate this afternoon.
Did watch her interview where she said she played for United in their mid-season trip to Malta last week.

Will be interesting to see where she fits in the squad tomorrow

I noticed that she was in the training videos from earlier in the week 

• Like 1

First half, City well on top 1-0 up and doing all the attacking. Could have been more, Hayles in particular was  clean through, but goalkeeper saved. Second half complete contrast. City flat as a pancake and could have no complaints at going behind. Then the late drama. Got away with one today. Good crowd today including some boisterous Germans.

• Like 1

Just got back....

Wow, as games go, wasn't expecting that finish. Last time I saw Coventry was the most sensational ending I've seen at a football match; they scored an absolute worldie on 90+7 to retain their Championship status last season and relegate their opposition that day, Watford. And although they are bottom of the league without a point, they've brought in four or five players this week and they made a difference today for sure. If they play like that for the rest of the campaign, they will pick up points and wins!

City started well but spurned chances and, well, we've all been at games where you're one up and worried because you need a second to kill the game off. Coventry have an awful habit of conceding early goals - a stat I've read says that they have been a goal behind after ten minutes in more than two thirds of their matches this season. City added to that stat but couldn't get the second or third to kill them off.

Cov equalised then that goal boosted their confidence and they went 2-1 up on 82 minutes. They then made four subs (one of which must have been a concussion sub as they made six in total) and that allowed City to regroup for one final push. Clinton, who was superb when she came on the field on 63, grabbed the equaliser before Abi Harrison scored a fantastic winner deep into stoppage time. We even had the spectacle of a false final whistle too, not sure what happened there, ref? But the scenes of joy at the end,  haven't seen at a City Women's game for a while and who better to score the winner than Abi who has never stopped working hard for the team despite not reaching the prolific heights of last season.

Other highlights for me was seeing Max, Tommy and Andy King there watching; Elyssia Boddy looked lively coming on, the two teenage wing backs show the academy is working on this side of the club too and it's clear that the club IMO are going for it this season, the signings of Clinton and Pearce suggest that.

Can they do it? They can, but will they?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, miser said:

First half, City well on top 1-0 up and doing all the attacking. Could have been more, Hayles in particular was  clean through, but goalkeeper saved. Second half complete contrast. City flat as a pancake and could have no complaints at going behind. Then the late drama. Got away with one today. Good crowd today including some boisterous Germans.

Exactly. First half was the much better. Second half saw a drastic change following the City substitutions made. Coventry's goalkeeper also got subbed after a collision, and I think that had an impact too. Happy for the win, but I don't think it was deserved. As for the Germans, they were stood near us - one us found out that they are from Dortmund and are here for the weekend (apparently were at Ashton Gate too yesterday)

1 hour ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Just got back....

Wow, as games go, wasn't expecting that finish. Last time I saw Coventry was the most sensational ending I've seen at a football match; they scored an absolute worldie on 90+7 to retain their Championship status last season and relegate their opposition that day, Watford. And although they are bottom of the league without a point, they've brought in four or five players this week and they made a difference today for sure. If they play like that for the rest of the campaign, they will pick up points and wins!

City started well but spurned chances and, well, we've all been at games where you're one up and worried because you need a second to kill the game off. Coventry have an awful habit of conceding early goals - a stat I've read says that they have been a goal behind after ten minutes in more than two thirds of their matches this season. City added to that stat but couldn't get the second or third to kill them off.

Cov equalised then that goal boosted their confidence and they went 2-1 up on 82 minutes. They then made four subs (one of which must have been a concussion sub as they made six in total) and that allowed City to regroup for one final push. Clinton, who was superb when she came on the field on 63, grabbed the equaliser before Abi Harrison scored a fantastic winner deep into stoppage time. We even had the spectacle of a false final whistle too, not sure what happened there, ref? But the scenes of joy at the end,  haven't seen at a City Women's game for a while and who better to score the winner than Abi who has never stopped working hard for the team despite not reaching the prolific heights of last season.

Other highlights for me was seeing Max, Tommy and Andy King there watching; Elyssia Boddy looked lively coming on, the two teenage wing backs show the academy is working on this side of the club too and it's clear that the club IMO are going for it this season, the signings of Clinton and Pearce suggest that.

Can they do it? They can, but will they?

Great summary. Didn't see you today @Hamdon Mart, must have missed you! At least you spotted Max, Tommy & Andy!

• Like 1

City were briefly top of the table for a few hours, then Crystal Palace & London City Lionesses played at the 6pm kick off.
London City were 5-0 winners and back at top with a point ahead

We finally play them next Sunday. If we could scrape a result against the bottom side, I'm a little worried to see what will happen next Sunday!

9 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Exactly. First half was the much better. Second half saw a drastic change following the City substitutions made. Coventry's goalkeeper also got subbed after a collision, and I think that had an impact too. Happy for the win, but I don't think it was deserved. As for the Germans, they were stood near us - one us found out that they are from Dortmund and are here for the weekend (apparently were at Ashton Gate too yesterday)

Great summary. Didn't see you today @Hamdon Mart, must have missed you! At least you spotted Max, Tommy & Andy!

Was inside the restaurant today @shahanshahan (not the first time I've said that!) as was a few from Coventry's media team there in my usual place. Saw you walk past and later met one of your friends handing out the newsletters...

Great to see Paul Wheeler today, one of the Championship's biggest advocates of women's football too. 

• Like 1

An exciting end to the game when the girls overturned a 1-goal deficit and relieved some anxious coaches. Have to commend them for keeping the desire going right until the final whistle and showing some determination. It was an important result and perhaps highlighted the slight rustiness of post-Christmas.

Going a goal up early on was no surprise but the girls seemed to take their foot off the throttle. Coventry made it difficult by packing the midfield and were clearly looking to stifle the pattern of play. However, the game became more broken and possession turned over rapidly for most of the duration. Aimee Palmer and Emily Symes are normally the driving force of the team but they drifted out of play for too long. Without the edge in midfield, Coventry were able to maintain a presence, which eventually allowed them to pick out a couple of long balls over the defenders; both goals owed a lot to slack marking.

2 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

a concussion sub

One of their players suffered a bad fall right in front of me, rolling and hitting the back of her head on the ground; she seemed shaken up by the knock and had to go off, presumably under concussion protocol.

Once the girls went behind with time running out, they finally got going again. The comeback may have had much to do with Coventry's keeper being injured in a clash with debutant Clinton and being subbed soon after. I don't know how good their second choice is but the two goals put past her looked unstoppable.

I feel sorry for the visitors: it must have been sickening for them, what with the injuries and the turnaround at the end. Hence there were a few indignant challenges, including a short flare-up as well.

Clinton looked more than useful, attacking purposefully and will hopefully carry on in similar vein. Abi Harrison's header right at the end of stoppage time was a reward for the varied positional and tactical work she put in today.

But over all the impression was one of a game largely spent in third gear. They can't be happy about the full 90 minutes and will have to be much better next week against London City. I also worry that this result might paper over a few cracks. Still, it's a 'W' and the table looks better for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Out of interest does anyone know what the capacity is at the HPC?

The other question is what will happen if the women win the league as the HPC won't meet the criteria for the WSL

I think there are around 550 seats with standing allowed behind the seats and some limited standing at pitchside. I'd guess 1200 max. Not sure re WSL as pretty sure capacity is better than the SGS where we played when last there.

There were 603 in attendance last Sunday.

The biggest attendance I've seen was the game last year against Charlton which was 956.

Not sure if the ground meets WSL criteria (and yet SGS did (at the time)), so I'd expect more games to be played at Ashton Gate...

Edited by shahanshahan

The Women appear to be on FA Player at 6:00pm tonight, assuming the game hasn’t been postponed. 

Could be a nice warm up for Leeds vs Cardiff game later on ITV4, although - aside from supporting the ref if he sends off loads of Cardiff players - a little undecided who to back. May be Leeds but just for being English.

• Like 1

City have to win in 90 mins to qualify for the quarter finals.

Liv Clark starts in goal.
Cataldo & Powell return to starting XI.
Hutton & Jasmine Bull start.
Greenslade & Teisar get rare starts.
Bruce & Syme drop to bench.

Hayles, Harrison, Bentley all missing from squad. Pearse cup tied?

FmxQdTdX0AAZIig?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by shahanshahan