IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

4 hours ago, myol'man said:

@shahanshahan

This guy has to be the womens team Supporter of the Year surely? ?

Thank you!

But as I'm aware, the Supporter of the Year award is just the one covers all supporters. If the Bristol City Supporters Club & Trust do decide to introduce one for the women's team supporters, there are other supporters like me (who aren't on OTIB) that probably deserve it too...

7 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

An excellent summary if I may so, E.  I'd add a few of my own thoughts...

Think there was a tweak in formation last night with Grace Clinton playing deeper rather than alongside Abi Harrison and Shania Hayles which in itself made the midfield area more congested with a five in there rather than the usual four. Any tweak will take a little while to get used to but eventually we got there last night.

Emily Syme was superb last night, she stepped up. Aimee Palmer is usually consistently very good but Em raised her level last night a notch or two.

Rachel Furness is a great signing. Her record speaks for itself and is exactly the sort of player City needed as the right time. In her 20-25 minutes last night, she could have scored twice; against less organised teams, she could be a real attacking force.

As have been Gracie Pearse and Grace Clinton, Lauren has been impressive in the transfer market and at last, I feel City have strength in depth. 

Finally, the tired old cliche of the best teams winning when they aren't playing at their usual level? I'll happily use that here... against Coventry, the girls were dead and buried and struck twice in stoppage time to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Against London last night, they thwacked them with two goals in five minutes after half time and had scored the first against the run of play, as Erithacus states correctly. This team are finding the habit of winning when they maybe shouldn't; make no mistake, last season they would have lost that game for sure.

COYR.

The City women are totally different to the males of City history.

Bristol City have been experts throughout my decades of support of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Indeed, Phantom. It did cross my mind that the opposition were still in their dugout whilst we were whooping it up. Not a problem to celebrate but needs to be with respect or else it could rebound next month. I expect that the Lewes game next Sunday will not be a case of after the Lord Mayor's show - we can't drop our guard now.

23 hours ago, phantom said:

My only concern is over celebrating a bit too much, we all know what happened to Swindon 

I was going to share a video & photo from my Twitter that someone filmed of me celebrating after Ffion Morgan's goal (City's third) on Wednesday, but based on this wording - I'll just provide a link instead ?

Rest assured I definitely won't celebrate like that for the rest of the season (not until any promotion at the end)

As for the Swindon reference, you may have to remind me - the only experience I have in my lifetime as a City fan was during the Cotterill years in League One (Flint said no, no, no etc)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shahanshahan said:

As for the Swindon reference, you may have to remind me - the only experience I have in my lifetime as a City fan was during the Cotterill years in League One (Flint said no, no, no etc)

Promotion season undr Cotterill away at Swindon in autumn. Swindon won 1-0 after we had a man sent off. They celebrated as though they had won the league. 

• Admin
7 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

I was going to share a video & photo from my Twitter that someone filmed of me celebrating after Ffion Morgan's goal (City's third) on Wednesday, but based on this wording - I'll just provide a link instead ?

Rest assured I definitely won't celebrate like that for the rest of the season (not until any promotion at the end)

Nothing wrong with supporters enjoying and celebrating the magnificent result and performance, I'm just not a fan of players doing it so openly (in the dressing room no problem) 

We've given London their team talk now 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Judging by the highlights, those goalkeeping sessions with the men's team are really paying off for Fran Bentley, some terrific reaction saves. 

We do look physically stronger all round this year, it did look girls against women for large parts of last season.

I made it 7 good saves from Bentley, which perhaps shows the overall dominance London City had, but we took our chances. Now have to keep it up starting with a win against Lewes tomorrow.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Nothing wrong with supporters enjoying and celebrating the magnificent result and performance, I'm just not a fan of players doing it so openly (in the dressing room no problem) 

We've given London their team talk now 

Fair enough! I was tempted to do London City away in March, so would wonder what the atmosphere would be like...

For those in attendance at the Norwich game yesterday, did anyone hear Downsy mention at half time about two players from the original Bristol City Ladies who had formed 50 years ago? I was on the concourse & drinking so couldn't go back to my seat to see it.

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there was a City Ladies team back in the 70s. Was aware of a team in the 90s/2000s, but I know that the current team now is what used to be Bristol Academy, and Bristol Rovers before that - when formed in 1998

54 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

To be honest, I wasn't even aware there was a City Ladies team back in the 70s. Was aware of a team in the 90s/2000s, but I know that the current team now is what used to be Bristol Academy, and Bristol Rovers before that - when formed in 1998

I was around then and can't remember anything. Would not have been attached to the club. Best guess it would have been an amatuer team playing friendlies. Pretty sure there was no organised football for women at the time. The only organised women's team than was the Rocking Robin's (best forgotten).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

For those in attendance at the Norwich game yesterday, did anyone hear Downsy mention at half time about two players from the original Bristol City Ladies who had formed 50 years ago? I was on the concourse & drinking so couldn't go back to my seat to see it.

Yes, there was definitely something along those lines and there was a photo on the big screen. I think the first training session was announced as having been in September 1973.

• Like 1

Hard fought victory today. On top first half, but attack misfiring. Deadlock broken in 2nd half. Can't decide which I admired most, the speed of Morgan to get to the byline and cross or the speed of Syme to get up and finish. Ref was awful, didn't quite catch her name, sounded something like Kiera Stroud. 

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, miser said:

Ref was awful, didn't quite catch her name, sounded something like Kiera Stroud. 

Yeah, she wasn't the best. Think there was a shoutout for a City penalty in the second half, which wasn't given (if anyone is wondering, City Women haven't scored a penalty since Tianna Teisar scored against Reading in pre-season)

Ref's name is below, if anyone was actually wondering.

Sophie Whitehouse made some great saves for Lewes, on her return to BS8. The stuff at the end of the game was interesting to see where it looked like she tapped Clinton while she was down, but I'll have to watch it back..

FoxiQ2nWYAEfaX4?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

Another good, hearty and (increasingly) gritty performance by the girls; you can't argue with another three points. We have played Lewes several times and both sides will know each other well, so no prizes for guessing it would be another tight game. It took a lot of effort and application, which City had even after Wednesday night's crunch, so once again I have to praise the fitness levels.

I like Lewes - they are a 'little' club (not backed by a mega-dollar men's club) and really gave a good account of themselves: solid, organised, determined and a well-oiled outfit. They don't have any world-class signings but are a tough nut to crack. Their keeper Whitehouse especially had a great game, perhaps showing what we might have missed.

But what really got them annoyed was the first goal - they claimed loudly Ffion Morgan's cross had curled out before coming back in and being headed home. It must be said that I have not heard so much scorn descend from the stands on the officials. Not a great day. But it was the reward for City's constant committment, trying to open up the width and also bursting from the middle. We don't seem to get many one-on-ones from a flighted ball over a high back line like we used to - a sign how the game is moving on and becoming more competitive. Chances have to be earned with more quality these days.

Defensively, Bentley was assured in the moments when called upon, Layzell and Pearce were a formidable pair at the back, with Hutton and Morgan rather kept in midfield roles for much of the game. I am looking forward to the new midfield triumvirate of Palmer, Syme and Furness - the latter was a capable presence and showed some top class touches. She can battle and create forward movements with equal measure and I hope it will be a good partnership in the making. Elsewhere, Harrison was always demanding the ball and taking charge of attacks, despite an arm injury picked up when an opponent tumbled over her.

Notwithstanding the cup match against Man City and providing it does not cause significant damage, I think we can look ahead with confidence. This is a side that has all the ingredients for success.

• Like 3