IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

Only drop in now and again with the women’s football so caveat comments with that, but our right side looks excellent; pacy, strong with skill and composure, Morgan truly outstanding. The left, however, looks the opposite  - really vulnerable and weak in the extreme.

A few players looking like they’re running in treacle, notably at the front with the attackers needing to be more front foot and alive, some alarming space and time too for the opposition in our own box. 

Far from over, but if we can grab another early in the second half, hopefully we can grab the 3 points.

• Like 1

Wow. Fair play to the saints striker there. I thought that was a nailed on pen. Hanging on here.

Great save by bentley

Post, and mishit shot that looked like it was an easy finish, for us to claim a 1-0 win. Phew.

Edited by Sleepy1968
  • Like 1

Sounds we needed to defend really well at the end, but a massive result - especially when our nearest rivals stumble. Can't put a price on that at this time of the season. Four matches remaining; win the first three and it's all over.

• Like 1

Crazy game really, terribly nervous 2nd half performance by our girls, littered with misplaced passes and terrible decision making. So lucky not to have lost the game really, fantastic saves from Bentley. Only Furness showed any composure on the ball.

Still 0-1 and a 6 point cushion after London City's surprise defeat at Durham. Just 4 games to go now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What a strike too

Playing some really good stuff. Furness pulling at the strings, and Hayles finding good space in the channels. 

For those that hadn't seen it...

1 hour ago, miser said:

Excellent result. Followed game on twitter.

Surprised you didn't watch on FA Player!

• Like 1

Fantastic result for the girls, well done!! 

Nex Sunday then, London City have got Charlton at home while City host Sheffield United at the Robins HPC. Charlton will be tough opposition for the Lionesses; they are fourth at the moment but would be third if they beat Lewes on Wednesday night. As if to add more drama, City's game on Sunday kicks off an hour later than the Lionesses too! Sounds like it could be an exciting one! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Fantastic result for the girls, well done!! 

Nex Sunday then, London City have got Charlton at home while City host Sheffield United at the Robins HPC. Charlton will be tough opposition for the Lionesses; they are fourth at the moment but would be third if they beat Lewes on Wednesday night. As if to add more drama, City's game on Sunday kicks off an hour later than the Lionesses too! Sounds like it could be an exciting one! 

Quote from a friend of mine:

"So I'm pretty sure on my maths here 
IF we beat Sheff Utd next Sunday AND Charlton take anything from London City. We could mathematically clinch the title at Sunderland, with a win"

27 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Quote from a friend of mine:

"So I'm pretty sure on my maths here 
IF we beat Sheff Utd next Sunday AND Charlton take anything from London City. We could mathematically clinch the title at Sunderland, with a win"

7 points is needed from the remaining 4 games to guarantee winning the league. That's assuming London win all their remaining games.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Leveller said:

It's hundreds for the home games. And for some of the men's away games! Tens? One bus?

?

The men's game is really well supported as you must know. I was just wondering how many the girls/women/ladies now attract as they are doing so well. I honestly don't know.

For reference the lowest away attendance for Bristol City away game when I have attended is a full 73 seater coach, midweek away to Rotherham when we weren't doing great. And quite a few actually drove or went by train. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

Whats the away support numbers, obviously not got a following like the men but is it hundreds not thousands for these big games?

Large numbers of away supporters is still a growing thing in the women's game - and has to catch up to the levels in the men's game. Most away games I've been for the women have been in a car with others, and for dedicated fans they would make their own transport as their football club or supporters group providing travel isn't always available.

In the WSL clubs are starting to organise designated away areas - and away supporters can actually buy tickets from their own club rather than have to buy from the club that they are playing.

When Man City came to the RHPC last month I believe there were about 20/30 obvious supporters (as in they wore their club colours) - most on their coach & some who travelled themselves.

As well as the people that were on the coach yesterday I saw a few others at St Mary's yesterday - those that travelled to Southampton themselves, a group with a "Bristol City Hampshire Reds" flag, and I assume @Roadrunner was there even though we never got to meet

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Vicky Bruce on the Sound of the City tonight

Great interview tonight with Geoff. Wasn't (entirely) expecting her to sing fan chants in response to my question. Interesting to hear her say that they'll be playing games at Ashton Gate next season if they get promoted - not sure if that was a slip of the tongue...