IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

Fantastic result and a brilliant boost for the club as a whole. 

There's no better time to get back into the WSL with the world cup in the summer bound to ramp the popularity of the women's game up another notch. 

It's safe to say the squad will need further investment now to give ourselves a stronger chance of competing. 

Exciting times. 

Great stuff, even in a small league, only one to go up is always tricky. Not so sure about the gap either, as think we’re stronger these days and the middle to lower end of the Super League isn’t a drastically different standard, from what I’ve seen. If we want to be beating Man U/Chelsea etc week in, week out, clearly that’s a different level, but not too much more needed to be able to consolidate in my view.  

Key investment over the summer is going to need to be the pitch, as we’ve now got 3 teams in the highest league (despite their great season, suspect the Flyers will prefer to continue playing indoors) plus City men. That’s bound to mean more games where a higher capacity needed than available at the HPC. Really hope we don’t send the women off to (eg) Yeovil or similar to get more capacity, the Gate is the place to be. Or maybe SL will buy out Manor Farm and develop The Creek into the  second stadium Bristol deserves…

• Like 2

A nervy afternoon as Birmingham had kept the pressure on. Would have fidgeted a lot, except I was wedged in my seat (were people really that small in 1970). The second goal eased the pressure on the team although it may have returned big time if not for Bentleys fine save. In the end can't fault finishing  5-0 and 4-0 to clinch the title.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations all round, a fine job done well. A shout out to the fans like @shahanshahantoo who have followed the team all over the country, you must all be very proud.

Where to play next season is a dilemma though. Crowds should be well up and a lot of  WSL games seem to be on TV too so the facilities for that need to be there. We don`t want to miss out on TV revenue because they aren`t.

Can AG cope with three teams using the pitch? I know it`s being relaid and I expect the technology has moved on from when it was put down first so hopefully it can.

• Like 5

Today was fantastic to be part of and honestly one of my favourite experiences at Ashton Gate. Arguably the biggest moment for City WFC thus far. Great to see so many families and young girls attend; the momentum from our Euros win undoubtedly a catalyst.

Even if you're a sceptic of the women's game, I strongly recommend giving it a go; much more positive and wholesome than what the men's game often provides too!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Today was fantastic to be part of and honestly one of my favourite experiences at Ashton Gate. Arguably the biggest moment for City WFC thus far. Great to see so many families and young girls attend; the momentum from our Euros win undoubtedly a catalyst.

Even if you're a sceptic of the women's game, I strongly recommend giving it a go; much more positive and wholesome than what the men's game often provides too!

And you`d hope that a lot of those families and youngsters will be wanting STs for next season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

See the highlights for a class save from Fran Bentley, and a great fourth goal. Fair play to the Charlton players and staff for staying to watch the presentation.

I'll just include one photo as they're quite large.

20230423_171512.jpg

What ! The ladies are quite large or the pics ???

31 minutes ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Lots of hungry blokes at home waiting for there wives & daughters to get home ????

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

Congratulations to the girls! A season to be proud of and worthy champions. It's been a few years since the men won the League 1 title and the South Stand was only half built then. Good time for another party.

I thought the side put out by Lauren Smith had a few surprises but they all played well. If there was a touch of nerves or distractions with a crowd of over 7,000 (let's say that again - 7,000) the girls didn't show it. No jitters or fluffs, there was a composed and determined edge today. Charlton are no mugs but they hardly had a look-in, thanks to some solid centre-back play and a driving midfield. Any opportunities in and around the City box was normally dealt with by blocks; Fran Bentley really only had to deal with one decent effort on target which she stopped magnificently.

Getting the ball forwards, we had far the better movement. Ella Powell was bombing on in the first half to good effect and making it difficult for Charlton to press. Rachel Furness was having a big influence in the middle of the park, seizing on opponents' runs and turning into attack. She may not have been here long but it's clear she has added to the club greatly.

Grace Clinton pounced on a defensive slip and after that there really wasn't a threat of a response. Scoring almost immediately after the restart left Charlton without a valid way back and it was largely one-way traffic.

I have to say that Abi Harrison was outstanding today - not that she isn't in other games. She showed what she is all about with her positional nous, her skills with or without the ball and her leadership. When the first goal went in she insisted on getting the team into a huddle before the ball was back on the centre spot and giving them the benefit of some well-earned international experience. It must be impossible to define her value to the club: she is an on-field coach, a top goal-scorer, a passionate leader and (I dare say) something of a club icon. It's often said you need characters at a good club, and Abi is certainly in that class.

Ffi Morgan's entry in the second half was topped with a great strike, However, she suffered a nasty-looking injury near the finish and there was concern. Fortunately, she was up and walking about in the after-match party so it doesn't seem that worrying.

It must be said that there were two winning teams out there today - one in red, the other in black. Lauren Smith and her staff have reaped their just rewards after a season of improvement and encouragement. I'm not sure who they all are but you have to commend them all. Perhaps Mr Lansdown will be rightly pleased that the system works well and will be looking to carry on at all levels. Surely, there can be no doubt about the coach of the season award.

So the season has proved successful, in front of a record breaking crowd at the Gate. I recall how Liverpool's fans celebrated their title last year on our manor and today will be particularly pleasing for all Robins. But the season has not finished yet! Put the Prosecco down and make sure we end it in the way we want to at Brum - in a way we mean to carry on.

Naturally, with the end of the season approaching there will be a time set aside to take stock and begin planning for the next. Who will be moving on (or back to their parent club)? Who will be looking at contracts? And who are the new players coming up from the academy? Are there any players being scouted with the hope of adding to the squad? Interesting times ahead.

But for now it's partytime - a well deserved moment to enjoy and celebrate. Mindful of just how things can change in the blink of an eye (ask Leah Williamson) you must take these moments and get the most out of them. After all, with the WSL a reality, the hard work starts now!

Two years out of the top flight have been corrected. But take a second to soak it in: Bristol City Women - Barclays Womens Champions 2022-23! A credit to the club and the city. Well done everyone!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

24 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Congratulations to the girls! A season to be proud of and worthy champions. It's been a few years since the men won the League 1 title and the South Stand was only half built then. Good time for another party.

I thought the side put out by Lauren Smith had a few surprises but they all played well. If there was a touch of nerves or distractions with a crowd of over 7,000 (let's say that again - 7,000) the girls didn't show it. No jitters or fluffs, there was a composed and determined edge today. Charlton are no mugs but they hardly had a look-in, thanks to some solid centre-back play and a driving midfield. Any opportunities in and around the City box was normally dealt with by blocks; Fran Bentley really only had to deal with one decent effort on target which she stopped magnificently.

Getting the ball forwards, we had far the better movement. Ella Powell was bombing on in the first half to good effect and making it difficult for Charlton to press. Rachel Furness was having a big influence in the middle of the park, seizing on opponents' runs and turning into attack. She may not have been here long but it's clear she has added to the club greatly.

Grace Clinton pounced on a defensive slip and after that there really wasn't a threat of a response. Scoring almost immediately after the restart left Charlton without a valid way back and it was largely one-way traffic.

I have to say that Abi Harrison was outstanding today - not that she isn't in other games. She showed what she is all about with her positional nous, her skills with or without the ball and her leadership. When the first goal went in she insisted on getting the team into a huddle before the ball was back on the centre spot and giving them the benefit of some well-earned international experience. It must be impossible to define her value to the club: she is an on-field coach, a top goal-scorer, a passionate leader and (I dare say) something of a club icon. It's often said you need characters at a good club, and Abi is certainly in that class.

Ffi Morgan's entry in the second half was topped with a great strike, However, she suffered a nasty-looking injury near the finish and there was concern. Fortunately, she was up and walking about in the after-match party so it doesn't seem that worrying.

It must be said that there were two winning teams out there today - one in red, the other in black. Lauren Smith and her staff have reaped their just rewards after a season of improvement and encouragement. I'm not sure who they all are but you have to commend them all. Perhaps Mr Lansdown will be rightly pleased that the system works well and will be looking to carry on at all levels. Surely, there can be no doubt about the coach of the season award.

So the season has proved successful, in front of a record breaking crowd at the Gate. I recall how Liverpool's fans celebrated their title last year on our manor and today will be particularly pleasing for all Robins. But the season has not finished yet! Put the Prosecco down and make sure we end it in the way we want to at Brum - in a way we mean to carry on.

Naturally, with the end of the season approaching there will be a time set aside to take stock and begin planning for the next. Who will be moving on (or back to their parent club)? Who will be looking at contracts? And who are the new players coming up from the academy? Are there any players being scouted with the hope of adding to the squad? Interesting times ahead.

But for now it's partytime - a well deserved moment to enjoy and celebrate. Mindful of just how things can change in the blink of an eye (ask Leah Williamson) you must take these moments and get the most out of them. After all, with the WSL a reality, the hard work starts now!

Two years out of the top flight have been corrected. But take a second to soak it in: Bristol City Women - Barclays Womens Champions 2022-23! A credit to the club and the city. Well done everyone!

I can't add very much to this, Erithacus, because I agree with every single word you've written. Have enjyed watching the Womens matches these past 2-3 years and looking forward to covering them again next season.

As others have said quite correctly, City need to compete next season with the teams that aren't in the big four. If they beat those around them then pinch a few points off the rest, they'll be fine next season. 

As for Lauren, hopefully she'll win "Coach Of The Year" because she has brought in the right players at the right time and married the right formations with the right tactis pretty much flawlessly. And it was noticeable today that even those not in the matchday squad were included in the celebrations, that's always good to see. I'd add a word of praise for Anita Asante who must have been a huge help to Lauren this season with her experience and winning mentality.

Wow, Bristol City Women's FC - FA Women's Champions for 2022/23. Sounds great, doesn't it?

Just now, Hamdon Mart said:

I can't add very much to this, Erithacus, because I agree with every single word you've written. Have enjyed watching the Womens matches these past 2-3 years and looking forward to covering them again next season.

As others have said quite correctly, City need to compete next season with the teams that aren't in the big four. If they beat those around them then pinch a few points off the rest, they'll be fine next season. 

As for Lauren, hopefully she'll win "Coach Of The Year" because she has brought in the right players at the right time and married the right formations with the right tactis pretty much flawlessly. And it was noticeable today that even those not in the matchday squad were included in the celebrations, that's always good to see. I'd add a word of praise for Anita Asante who must have been a huge help to Lauren this season with her experience and winning mentality.

Wow, Bristol City Women's FC - FA Women's Championship winners for 2022/23. Sounds great, doesn't it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, An Outstanding Human said:

Why have you had to have a dig at the men’s game to make a point? 

• Like 5