IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

FT 1-2. A better performance 2nd half with Morgan on, but a really poor goal to give away after getting level, our no.3 looked like she was running in treacle!

Really this game and last week's against Brighton were two we had to not lose, and we have lost both so relegation is now highly likely. It was clear we needed to add 2 or 3 quality players in Jan and we have only bought in 1, and she didn't start today (don't count Evans who looks a  poor signing).

On 26/01/2024 at 17:07, old_eastender said:

Have to say, I find it an underwhelming transfer, she is 31 and her best years are behind her. Was hoping for another signing of the calibre of Stratigakis. Still maybe Evans will hit the winner against her old club and leave egg on my face!

Sadly, on the evidence of today's game does indeed look like a very poor signing. On from the 38th minute and did nothing for us at all.

3 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

So the 4th best supported team in the league are going down with a whimper. Shame. 

Which comes back to the short-sightedness of not investing in this transfer window to maintain their WSL status. Really poor from those higher up not to emphasise recruitment of some top talent, even just in the short term to ensure survival. Principles of recruiting young local players are all well and good, as there is a huge area for the club to tap into for both support (hence the 4th largest crowds in the league) and talent, but experience and top international level players are still needed to survive at this level. That’s what other promoted clubs have had to do but of course we are Bristol City so we do things differently - and then seem baffled as to why it hasn’t worked!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Which comes back to the short-sightedness of not investing in this transfer window to maintain their WSL status. Really poor from those higher up not to emphasise recruitment of some top talent, even just in the short term to ensure survival. Principles of recruiting young local players are all well and good, as there is a huge area for the club to tap into for both support (hence the 4th largest crowds in the league) and talent, but experience and top international level players are still needed to survive at this level. That’s what other promoted clubs have had to do but of course we are Bristol City so we do things differently - and then seem baffled as to why it hasn’t worked!

Couldn’t agree with you more. The exact same thing happened last time the girls went down. A golden opportunity thrown away yet again! As with the rest of Bristol Sport we know where the blame lies. 

• Like 4

On 21/01/2024 at 16:06, phantom said:

Seriously lacking enough real quality across the team 

Sadly effort won't win you games at that level 

Do you still disagree? 

I think you're right, you know. 

Had to give them the benefit of the doubt before these last two games but they've come out with nothing. Can't speak for last weekend v Brighton as I didn't see the game but today, the girls seemed very leggy at times. Puzzling because West Ham played midweek in the League Cup at Birmingham while City had a free week.

Morgan's introduction was as spectacular as it was welcome, assisting inside two minutes, she is a class act. One thing I noticed today more than I have prweviously was that the passing at times was really poor. And the crossing from the byline was the same, twice shanked into the stand when a decent delivery would have asked questions of the Hammers backline.

Find it sad watching Abi Harrison at the moment as she doesn't look fit at all and left the scene early in the game again today. We've missed Rachel Furniss though IMO, when is she back? 

All in all, a gloomy day but the fat lady hasn't started singing yet. 

34 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

I think you're right, you know. 

Had to give them the benefit of the doubt before these last two games but they've come out with nothing. Can't speak for last weekend v Brighton as I didn't see the game but today, the girls seemed very leggy at times. Puzzling because West Ham played midweek in the League Cup at Birmingham while City had a free week.

Morgan's introduction was as spectacular as it was welcome, assisting inside two minutes, she is a class act. One thing I noticed today more than I have prweviously was that the passing at times was really poor. And the crossing from the byline was the same, twice shanked into the stand when a decent delivery would have asked questions of the Hammers backline.

Find it sad watching Abi Harrison at the moment as she doesn't look fit at all and left the scene early in the game again today. We've missed Rachel Furniss though IMO, when is she back? 

All in all, a gloomy day but the fat lady hasn't started singing yet. 

After that display the fat lady has sang her last song for our girls. Dreadful day for Lauren Smith, got everything wrong today.

They just are not good enough and will struggle next season to be top spot. 

You have to blame our owners for a missed opportunity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Full nelson said:

That was absolutely sh#te, sorry girls but that was crap!! Relegation  is a cert now. 

First half yes, they played like they'd only just met each other, 2nd half much better. I live in hope it'll all gel at some point. Missed Layzell today, injured presumably.

I just don't get it. It was clear the last time we went down that the Womens game was getting bigger and bigger and yet our ownership did next to nothing to prevent us dropping out of the top flight and now, with great support and the WSL very much a place where decent investment brings bigger rewards, we're slipping out of it again.

The Womens Championship gets stronger each season which makes it more difficult to get back up again.

Why do the Landsdowns bother if they're not going to take it seriously? They binned the first City Womens team in 2007 and then, when it soon became apparent that was a mistake as the ladies game rapidly grew, they bought some one elses team. Then, after going to all that effort to bring it back into the City fold they preside over a season by season decline in the WSL and then relegation. When we get back into the WSL, they standby and watch the team struggle all over again. Bizarre.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I just don't get it. It was clear the last time we went down that the Womens game was getting bigger and bigger and yet our ownership did next to nothing to prevent us dropping out of the top flight and now, with great support and the WSL very much a place where decent investment brings bigger rewards, we're slipping out of it again.

The Womens Championship gets stronger each season which makes it more difficult to get back up again.

Why do the Landsdowns bother if they're not going to take it seriously? They binned the first City Womens team in 2007 and then, when it soon became apparent that was a mistake as the ladies game rapidly grew, they bought some one elses team. Then, after going to all that effort to bring it back into the City fold they preside over a season by season decline in the WSL and then relegation. When we get back into the WSL, they standby and watch the team struggle all over again. Bizarre.

I don’t follow it as closely as others, but it was always gonna be about being better than just one club, first season back up, retain status and kick-on.

It feels like they’ve not given it a big enough shot to me.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Shelton’s Love Gravy said:

I heard a rumour that she’s off to Villa ☹️

Thanks 😬  She was injured today, according to Lauren's pre-match interview just seen. Not sure if Murray was injured when she came off or tactical. She looked a tad rusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

I’ve said for a while now the Bristol Sport clubs are all in a managed decline. How SL would love the rugby and women’s football to go amateur again!! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

When is Smith going to be sacked or do the right thing and resign..she is tactically inept, looks like she is out on a girls nite out on matchdays and does nothing to inspire the players ...Get rid now 

Edited by coxyboy

Quite depressing today.  Really poor at the basics.  Gave the ball away repeatedly, couldn’t string passes together and then lacked quality when we did make chances. The most frustrating thing was the lack of fight and urgency given how important the game was.  The way West Ham celebrated at the end showed they understood the significance.  

As others have said though, if / when we drop out of the WSL the blame lies firmly at the feet of the board.  It’s essentially a dereliction of duty.  A very bright future was there for the taking but they don’t seem bothered 

• Like 2

I only watch a game now and again, only been to the Man U game and I was quite hopeful. Against the better teams , they had managed to stay in games for the most part, only really battered once. Today was really disappointing , they never managed to boss the game, always seemed to be chasing it. There seemed to be a few players looking unfit, that may be completely wrong, but more than once it looked like a player couldn't physically chase the ball down.
Two ways to go now, they beef up the squad , make changes and really try and stay up, or coast to the inevitable relegation. 

That may prove to be a heavy nail in this season's coffin, sadly. For all the girls' efforts and application there was a distinct difference between the two teams. It was most noticable when driving forwards: we tended to improvise more and were slower to realise the better ball, whereas West Ham's midfield dropped back as a unit and when they gained possession, surged forwards quicker and with more certainty than us. They expected a pass and move, we needed to look about first and then play. That might apply to the mens' team too, incidentally.

So it proved that West Ham were able to create a scoring opportunity and take it when it came to them, having absorbed the pressure and broke - somewhat against the flow of play. Their acccuracy defined the game, and we were chasing for the rest of it.

I wonder what the exact state of the players' fitness was pre-game. It seemed that a few were carrying knocks and didn't perform at the maximum. Satara Murray came into the starting line-up after a long time out and didn't last the half. Several probable starters were not on the team-sheet and that may have made all the difference. But given that, it looked a bit of a bold move to have Mari Ward on instead of Ffion Morgan - the latter's introduction for the second half sparked the equaliser. Ward is a young talent and will be the future but didn't get much traction today. Indeed, with Abi Harrison starting at left wing-back, Thestrup was once again isolated; with the Hammers holding a solid 4-4-1-1 all game it was their closing down in packs that stifled most of City's probing attacks. We simply didn't make enough progress going forwards, for all our possession. Their 'keeper had a quiet afternoon in all honesty.

Having found the net early in the second half, we should have stepped it up but floundered and left Viviane Asseyi unchallenged for too long; Struck drifted to the middle to double-mark Ueki and left the space. We didn't really deserve it but at this level it is often the moments of uncertainty that count.

With time running out, Smith shuffled the top end but left it until the last 10-15 minutes. Shania Hayles immediately looked lively and hungry; Stratigakis didn't really get much change out of the Hammers' defence. All in all it was another frustrating performance in front of a decent crowd of over 6,000.

I accept that the team has a number of injuries and the likelihood of new talent arriving before the deadline looks poor, but that makes the rest of the season a long and difficult battle. Yes, we are only just over the halfway stage (with lots of points on offer still) but it's difficult to see where the wins are going to come from now. We will need anoter team to fall apart for our benefit. Ashton Gate has not proved a fortress, indeed it is a happy hunting ground for visitors. We have a home league record of Pld: 6, L: 6; goals: 4-15. It simply won't cut it.

46 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Quite depressing today.  Really poor at the basics.  Gave the ball away repeatedly, couldn’t string passes together and then lacked quality when we did make chances. The most frustrating thing was the lack of fight and urgency given how important the game was.  The way West Ham celebrated at the end showed they understood the significance.  

As others have said though, if / when we drop out of the WSL the blame lies firmly at the feet of the board.  It’s essentially a dereliction of duty.  A very bright future was there for the taking but they don’t seem bothered 

I wouldn't mind IF they just focused all their energy/money on the men's first team, but they don't even do that !

• Like 1