IGNORED

Best January?

daored

17 games left this season and in the past the club has been accused by many of showing no ambition at this time of the year. Johnson has been backed this year.

We’ve brought in a striker with a proven record at championship level. I must admit to not knowing too much about the other two players.

So simple questions:

1). Will we miss Brownhill?

2). Have we done the best overall business in the championship?

3). Who is our most important signing this January?

4). Where will city finish this season?

We`ve effectively signed a spine for the team - a quality CB, a very good midfielder and a striker who knows where the goal is. As January windows go, I can`t remember a better one. We just have to hope it all clicks.

Don`t forget we kept Niclas too - my fear was a last minute sale there which would have put a downer on everything.

To answer your questions

1) No now we have MH

2) Yes apart from possibly Baggies & Fulham

3) Wells

4) Top six but not autos

1) Yes we will miss brownhill, but we have enough strength in our midfield to be fine without him. 

2) As windows go this has been a quiet one, but looking at the business done we have probably been the most successful, just as long as we can keep the newbies fit for the remainder of the season. 

3) Benkovic, if he stays fit. From what I’ve heard of him he’ll be a massive help in sorting out our leaky defence. 

4) 5th, getting past Fulham in the play off semi final before losing to Brentford 

It appears on paper to be an pretty excellent January. To get a proven, inform, championship double-figure goal scorer is superb business.

Plus two potentially shrewd additions too in Benković and Henriksen. I don’t think many teams have done better in our price bracket. Brentford with a few potential, obviously Fulham and WBA have spent well (big). Leeds and Forest more modestly, the ‘foreign gamble’.

I think we won’t realise how much we’ll miss Brownhill ‘til he’s gone’ though. My worry is that in his dynamic role we have 2/3 guys who are not immediately up to speed in the championship, either in fitness or form. We will need them, Nagy and Henriksen especially, firing on all cylinders very quickly. I wait to see if Henriksen has the attributes to match Josh.

I could see either Wells or Benković being the key signing but I’m going to say Benković.

Where will we finish? Well I’m not great at predicting, but we have the tools now to be top 6.

Looking beyond that however and thinking about next season, a fully fit and integrated team of Bentley, Dasilva, Kalas, Nagy, Massengo, Eliasson, Palmer, Wells, Afobe and more could be very strong indeed.

Very sensible signings. And maybe still in profit from Brownhill money from this window?

It shows we can sell our best players and improve. Now down to LJ to work out a formula.

I hope he knows what his plan is with what we have bought and not just bought good players without knowing how to set them up.

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

The signings show real intent but I was a little concerned that other than Nahki they were loans, do we know if they are loans with an option to buy? 

MH is out of contract in the summer so he is ours for as long as we want him (if he wants to stay of course).

2 hours ago, daored said:

17 games left this season and in the past the club has been accused by many of showing no ambition at this time of the year. Johnson has been backed this year.

We’ve brought in a striker with a proven record at championship level. I must admit to not knowing too much about the other two players.

So simple questions:

1). Will we miss Brownhill?

Yes and no.  Think he has some shortcomings, but he is dedicated pro, good habits and likeable lad.  Depends on how we set up, and how the team gel.  Think we will start to see from next Friday onwards

2). Have we done the best overall business in the championship?

it looks good.  West Brom, got Grosicki, but lost Diangana (injury).  Leeds, Augustin.  Fulham, probably the best, Hector and Kongolo, look like they have a very solid pair of CBs.

3). Who is our most important signing this January?

Paterson - gave the squad a boost to get us to 6th, and chain reaction of looking more appealing to Wells, Henriksen and Benkovic.  Had we been languishing in 11/12th, might’ve been a different story.

4). Where will city finish this season?

5/6th, playing Leeds in Semis ?

Archived