IGNORED

If The Season Ended Now.

bpexile

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I know you are not one for point scoring, and I know my opinion wasn't popular.

For what it's worth I don't think a decision really needs to be made now. I suspect that realistically the end of the month is the deadline. Closed doors is an option but I think it would be a bad precedent to set and would not be nearly as successful in the long run as it may seem.

I wouldn't agree that "complete it we must".

Football WILL start up again. That’s a given. It’s just “when” that we don’t yet know. 

So why not finish the current season at whatever time it does resume..? 

When it starts up again, what difference does it make if it’s called the 2019/20 season, or the next one..?

The only problem I can see arising, is that of player contracts - but surely they get effectively “frozen” and extended accordingly, now that dates aren’t relevant. All deals are agreed until the end of a season, that’s the only reason it’s June, for instance. 

I haven’t seen 1 single viable reason to scrap the season. It isn’t and can’t be an option, imo. It just needs delaying. 

No doubt, the most likely outcome will be behind closed doors fixtures, broadcast on tv. Which would be horrible, BUT at least get the season concluded. 

Personally I’d rather we just waited it out and resumed when safe, whenever that may be - but if that takes too long, I’d expect and understand the behind closed doors solution. 

From a selfish point of view, with us in 7th and games to play v PNE,Swansea and Cardiff. We are capable of reaching the play offs.So season must be completed on a Saturday, even it is all behind closed doors. Then Wednesday play off match 1, Saturday play off match 2. The following Saturday play off final.Two weeks latter start of the new season. Transfer deadline finishes the following Sunday. To give all clubs in play offs the chance to adjust squads.

If you have a shortened 20/21 season clubs will not survive.

Half the games will mean half TV money and clubs will still have to pay players for the whole year regardless of how many games are played.

Null and void this season, tell the TV companies how many games are short in the contract for each company and add them to 20/21 season. Most probably be extra 1 or 2 televised games per week.

No clubs lose money this way and then you can have a full season. Half season doesn’t seem right for 20/21, clubs quite often go up and down the table later in seasons and you would lose that. 

I am sure if this was done and clubs stood to lose nothing this would pass straight away.

25 minutes ago, hodge said:

Assuming you can start in August (with a pre-season in July) which there's really no guarantee of

You can start whenever as long as there’s a full season. Start October end mid June just before Euros. 
Reason I think clubs will not null the season is money. This way all clubs keep all the money due to them.

Lower leagues null and void money involved minimal, PL EFL won’t budge due to money owed and spent already.

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

If you have a shortened 20/21 season clubs will not survive.

Half the games will mean half TV money and clubs will still have to pay players for the whole year regardless of how many games are played.

Null and void this season, tell the TV companies how many games are short in the contract for each company and add them to 20/21 season. Most probably be extra 1 or 2 televised games per week.

No clubs lose money this way and then you can have a full season. Half season doesn’t seem right for 20/21, clubs quite often go up and down the table later in seasons and you would lose that. 

I am sure if this was done and clubs stood to lose nothing this would pass straight away.

TV companies will have seen suspension and cancellation of subscriptions for football on a major scale. 

Broadcasters albeit foreign ones have already started looking into withholding of cash or clawbacks. Broadcasters for Ligue 1 mainly but also DAZN in PL.

You think they can withstand or absorb this with no payoff from the PL and other Leagues?

I'm unconvinced and therefore in the event of an early finish, finishing it off would yield a 30% rebate. About 70% of the season has gone. If they can absorb under 30% they should consider this.

A null and void could surely mean a full rebate? Depends on whether you mean rerun the season.

Further, I'd say players bonuses if accrued during a null and void season, season tickets, claw backs...significant scope for lawyers to have fun!

Granted the PL has the big TV money, a few million at this level isn't it...?

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

TV companies will have seen suspension and cancellation of subscriptions for football on a major scale. 

Broadcasters albeit foreign ones have already started looking into withholding of cash or clawbacks. Broadcasters for Ligue 1 mainly but also DAZN in PL.

You think they can withstand or absorb this with no payoff from the PL and other Leagues?

I'm unconvinced and therefore in the event of an early finish, finishing it off would yield a 30% rebate. About 70% of the season has gone. If they can absorb under 30% they should consider this.

A null and void could surely mean a full rebate? Depends on whether you mean rerun the season.

Further, I'd say players bonuses if accrued during a null and void season, season tickets, claw backs...significant scope for lawyers to have fun!

Granted the PL has the big TV money, a few million at this level isn't it...?

I said if this season is null and void the TV companies get more games next season. The clubs have spent the TV money already for 19/20 season. Any games that were due to be shown roll over to 20/21 season and TV companies still get there games.

If you have a shortened 20/21 season clubs would go bust for half a season would be half TV money, players still being payed all year.

Season tickets I think you can’t get money back for be in small print or act of god.

Bonuses can still be paid for clubs have kept all TV money so carry on as usual. Just go off league positions when season ends.

Clubs have a choice if they want to survive they need the TV money, either end season now and give money back(they will not do that) 

Wait till safe to continue and no cash flow coming in.

Agree to extra games next season on tv keep the money.

Shortened season half tv money etc. clubs go bust.

Option 3 seems best way out of this, with new tv deal due 21/22 season clubs could well be looking at less money from then as TV companies will want to save cash for they will be short as well.

Whatever is decided I can see wages going down hugely from 21/22 season. The bubble bursting for football players wages.

3 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I said if this season is null and void the TV companies get more games next season. The clubs have spent the TV money already for 19/20 season. Any games that were due to be shown roll over to 20/21 season and TV companies still get there games.

If you have a shortened 20/21 season clubs would go bust for half a season would be half TV money, players still being payed all year.

Season tickets I think you can’t get money back for be in small print or act of god.

Bonuses can still be paid for clubs have kept all TV money so carry on as usual. Just go off league positions when season ends.

Clubs have a choice if they want to survive they need the TV money, either end season now and give money back(they will not do that) 

Wait till safe to continue and no cash flow coming in.

Agree to extra games next season on tv keep the money.

Shortened season half tv money etc. clubs go bust.

Option 3 seems best way out of this, with new tv deal due 21/22 season clubs could well be looking at less money from then as TV companies will want to save cash for they will be short as well.

Whatever is decided I can see wages going down hugely from 21/22 season. The bubble bursting for football players wages.

Agree with a lot of your post but I'm just unsure about extra games being able to make up the shortfall.

I seriously don't see that idea flying as it stands. What will have happened to the cashflow of the broadcasters- can they actually afford to go that way? I wonder.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with a lot of your post but I'm just unsure about extra games being able to make up the shortfall.

I seriously don't see that idea flying as it stands. What will have happened to the cashflow of the broadcasters- can they actually afford to go that way? I wonder.

Clubs have spent the money already, extra games cost the tv companies no extra money for tv deal in place already for 20/21 season.

Tv companies claw back the money clubs go bust less attractive competition, fans will boycott them for sending there club bust. 
Less money for the TV companies, it has to work both ways. It’s only an idea but one I think which is doable.

Not the broadcasters fault if clubs have spent a stupid percentage on wages and fees. 

I appreciate not all clubs have it but if they can't complete the season, then it's in the contract potentially.

Yet even putting aside contractual obligations, do you think broadcasters have the short to medium term cash flow or reserves to absorb such losses? I don't!

A reason they would want the rebate or one reason is to mitigate against losses caused by this. 

Like I say, DAZN are the first albeit foreign broadcasters who want talks with the PL.

And hey, if it is a significant issue then over to the biggest cost of all for a club to do their bit...

Long way to go yet, and Countries that acted quickly and decisively will no doubt ease restrictions quicker than the ones that didn’t do so well (UK, Spain and Italy spring to mind). Some reports suggest that the UK will be worst hit in Europe, with good reasons, so we may be late to the party. 
Very hard to plan ahead, or forecast what may happen, but it’s going to be very painful all round, and a lot of Clubs could be like we were in 1982, just glad to have a club to support.

Archived