IGNORED

Best or Biggest Game You've Had To Miss

CyderInACan

As a result of a 22 year career in the Royal Navy, I lost count of the number of big City and other matches I've missed.

In the first post the OP talks about the Scotland v England Euro 96 game. I missed that one because it was HMS Collingwood's open day. I remember it being a gloriously hot day and I'd been allocated one of the display areas to look after with someone else from my course. We kept hearing the score from various passers by.

I missed the Liverpool games because I was away each time. I did get to see the 5th round defeat to Charlton.

Before the days of the internet when we were overseas all we had to rely on for scores was a telex link to the UK via the Satellite communication system. It was supposed to be used for engineering the system but we as radio operators would call up the guy on the other end and he would type the scores across to us. If we were really lucky and we were on the NATO Comms Satellite it was actually possible to access the Ceefax system. You could type //P followed by the page number and it would print the Ceefax page on the telex.

Bizarre but true 

Archived