IGNORED

The Coronavirus and its impact on sport/Fans Return (Merged)

Loderingo

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Perhaps these researchers didn’t spout their views on public forums claiming that the majority of those who won’t vaccinate are stupid (without directly linking to the fact that most of those people you called stupid would be black). 
Actually I take it back. You’re not a bigot. You’re a surreptitious bigot. 

Making stuff up again. Off you pop onto ignore. ******* clown. 

Edited by James54De
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Perhaps the medics know perfectly well that the virus is highly highly highly unlikely to effect these young fit footballers and so they know they don’t really need it? 

Stick to football Harry, you're a good read when you do that.

Or link us to another questionable piece of research demonstrating this possibility.

Or as a medic I'd ask you not to make such ignorant,, offensive assumptions on our behalf

• Like 1

No scaremongering but having not known anybody test positive since the schools went back my wife and I know of over 40 people who tested positive TODAY.

Thankfully they're fully vaccinated so no serious symptoms as yet but when they say this new variant is a super-spreader they ain't kidding.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No scaremongering but having not known anybody test positive since the schools went back my wife and I know of over 40 people who tested positive TODAY.

Thankfully they're fully vaccinated so no serious symptoms as yet but when they say this new variant is a super-spreader they ain't kidding.

Wow, were they all linked / most linked?

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Will have to see if this variant translates into hospital cases or not, if it doesn't then the imminent case-demic might end up being quite entertaining and more ridiculous than anything what we have had so far.

Edited by Baba Yaga

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wow, were they all linked / most linked?

Yes a couple of pre Xmas meetings/Parties and some non-related cares. Its the sheer volume that's amazing 

Just goes to show the point about gathering together and not being able to avoid it seems to hold true. Also, some of the shows my wife (and I ) were due to attend have been decimated by having to replace stand-ins. You can see why the Premier games had to be canned despite precautions taken.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Will have to see if this variant translates into hospital cases or not, if it doesn't then the imminent case-demic might end up being quite entertaining and more ridiculous than anything what we have had so far.

From what I've been told by those who know a thing or two, those who've been vaccinated have few symptoms to what appears to be a less harmful version virus, the problem being London ITUs are crammed with non-vaccinated cases and are pretty much full. It's the simple math that if only 3% get ill and with 5m adults yet to receive any vaccine if masses become infected at the same time there's a problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

I work in an industry whose peak volumes are over Xmas, today we've started 24 hour production for Xmas. Double the number of shifts, around 1000 people a day in and out of the factory

I wonder what will happen here if someone comes in with Omicron.

Sadly doesn't seem to be much concern from our company. They've re-introduced masks but most people wear them round their chin. THere's a one way system around the building but because we cancelled it for the last 3 months, most people are ignoring it. You can only work from home if you have sign off from a Director, so basically no one is working at home so that's another 120 + in the office.

Quite a few anti-vaxxers about the place too, couple very loud and proud in the office and a lot of the factory workers aren't vacinated

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Norwich are the latest team affected. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59661971

QPR now also cancelled two. 

West End shows have apparently been decimated as well. 

Cant see football continuing in its current form for to much longer, sadly. 

Yup, all the fuss about our FA cup pricing, but right now I cannot see it happening if this continues as it is.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Is there a chance we can get pinged after attending? Would rather give it a miss if so to be honest. 

Only if you have the app and are nearby to someone for 15 mins or more isn't it? I can't keep up with the rules, but isn't it now if you test negative you don't have to isolate? 

22 hours ago, James54De said:

Football players are not renowned for being particularly intelligent. 

What do you base that on?

The ability of players to learn new languages and having the confidence to give press interviews in what might be a second or third tongue.

The ability of footballers to have the nouse to employ people to help them maximise their career earning - don't imagine many club owners got to where they are by being thick, so for an average player to extract tens of thousands a week out of them much show some intelligence.

Or maybe the ability to retire from the game and then embark on an entirely new career.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

The ability of players to learn new languages and having the confidence to give press interviews in what might be a second or third tongue.

The ability of footballers to have the nouse to employ people to help them maximise their career earning - don't imagine many club owners got to where they are by being thick, so for an average player to extract tens of thousands a week out of them much show some intelligence.

Or maybe the ability to retire from the game and then embark on an entirely new career.

Maybe he bases on his own bigotry, something what he was accusing others of not so long ago....

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

We aren't going on Saturday now, regardless.

This is going to be a very difficult time over the next 3 months.

STs not withstanding we're joining you in sitting it out.

God forbid anybody who does go and something unfortunate happens starts pointing fingers at City for encouraging crowds to the concourses early doors.  Folks know the risks, not worth it from our perspective, but if you do gamble and 'lose' save us the usual blame everybody other than oneself rhetoric that pervades these days.

As for Hearn & the PDC at Ally Pally tonight - reckless not to be more proactive in protecting folks.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I did not say they weren’t intelligent, I said they are not renowned for being intelligent, which they are not. Portrayals of footballers are not often intelligent. 

56 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

STs not withstanding we're joining you in sitting it out.

God forbid anybody who does go and something unfortunate happens starts pointing fingers at City for encouraging crowds to the concourses early doors.  Folks know the risks, not worth it from our perspective, but if you do gamble and 'lose' save us the usual blame everybody other than oneself rhetoric that pervades these days.

As for Hearn & the PDC at Ally Pally tonight - reckless not to be more proactive in protecting folks.

Seems that Saturday will potentially be a more dangerous environment for covid than it has been all season. 
Good start to the covid-pass rules. 
It would be funny if it weren’t so tragic. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've often thought this, not just the language but an entirely new culture, climate, relocating family, everything. I have the utmost respect for these people. It must be hard (and don't pretend the money makes it "easy") 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seems that Saturday will potentially be a more dangerous environment for covid than it has been all season. 
Good start to the covid-pass rules. 
It would be funny if it weren’t so tragic. 

Quite why Saturday would be a more dangerous environment for the highly transmissible Omicron version of the virus is beyond me, plus of course it hasn't been around all season. Rather I'd have thought having crowds of folks crammed in close proximity within concourses would be an ideal transmission environment?

Personally I find the prospect of mass infection in public health terms neither funny nor tragic though, as previous, you clearly have other ideas.

Edited by BTRFTG

23 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I've often thought this, not just the language but an entirely new culture, climate, relocating family, everything. I have the utmost respect for these people. It must be hard (and don't pretend the money makes it "easy") 

Add to that, the ability to be dedicated enough to make the most of their ability by restricting diet, fun, social opportunities and important family time (such as Christmas) because the calendar doesn't allow for things such as kids birthdays or because you have an away game on Boxing day, being forced to miss watching your kids open their gifts as you are in a hotel somewhere and having to train.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Add to that, the ability to be dedicated enough to make the most of their ability by restricting diet, fun, social opportunities and important family time (such as Christmas) because the calendar doesn't allow for things such as kids birthdays or because you have an away game on Boxing day, being forced to miss watching your kids open their gifts as you are in a hotel somewhere and having to train.

Lest not forget Ian Rush when asked why he struggled during his time at Juventus replied: "...it was like living in a foreign country ..."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Well in fairness, lots of non-native English people are good at learning new languages. We don't get as many English players going the other way do we? Though it's increased in recent years. Often that's not down to intelligence as such, just opportunity. My mates boy can already speak 3 languages at a very young age because he always speaks to him in Polish, his mum speaks to him in her language (Lithuanian I think) and he learns English at school.

Again dont think thats necessarily a sign of intelligence, infact intelligence may suggest the opposite. manage it themselves and they arent paying a middle man. Most have an agent because they cant manage it themselves. Again, its the agent who extracts the money from the owner.

How many actually embark on an entirely new career? Most just retire on their money these days dont they?

I think historically footballers were the lower educated, working class lads but nowadays the acadamies are hot on making sure the players are doing their studies too so I think the modern footballer is generally better educated than maybe 20-30 years ago

Edited by MarcusX

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

I've lived and worked abroad in a   country where I didn't know the language. Believe me money and having people help you out helps immensely, bloody he'll footballers moving here have everything done for them so it should be a piece of piss!

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Quite why Saturday would be a more dangerous environment for the highly transmissible Omicron version of the virus is beyond me, plus of course it hasn't been around all season. Rather I'd have thought having crowds of folks crammed in close proximity within concourses would be an ideal transmission environment?

Personally I find the prospect of mass infection in public health terms neither funny nor tragic though, as previous, you clearly have other ideas.

You seem to be agreeing and disagreeing? 
Piles of people waiting to have their pass checked, all in a very close proximity to each other (if it’s anything like the queues I witnessed the last 2 games with the security checks). 
Encouraged to arrive early and stand in a packed indoor concourse. 
Both of those scenarios are bringing many more people much closer together than has been seen at every game to date. 
So, yes, it seems like the environment might be a more dangerous one this Saturday. 
I don’t find it funny at all. I find it dumbfoundingly idiotic.