IGNORED

Missed Weimann

Berkshire Red

Dare I say it but I think we missed Weimann today. I'm by no means his biggest fan, nor am i his biggest critic, but we looked stationary, weak and uninterested today. 

Think we missed weimanns energy and grit to chase lost causes. While not the most exciting player to watch, certainly adds energy to the team and appreciate he always gives 100%. Cant say I saw that from anyone else today. 

Just now, City18 said:

Dare I say it but I think we missed Weimann today. I'm by no means his biggest fan, nor am i his biggest critic, but we looked stationary, weak and uninterested today. 

Think we missed weimanns energy and grit to chase lost causes. While not the most exciting player to watch, certainly adds energy to the team and appreciate he always gives 100%. Cant say I saw that from anyone else today. 

If Weimann is the saviour then we really are f*cked. Decent lower end champ player but if we want promotion then we need to get rid. 

7 hours ago, City18 said:

I seen massengo, paterson, odowda, eliasson pressing and chasing and closing down which is pretty much all weimann really does. I admit weimann probably does it a little better, but that doesn’t stop our relentless passing around the back. Not convinced the result changes with him on the pitch

To be honest, today we missed ODowda, Eliasson, Paterson, Dave, Rowe etc cant wait to have all them back fit and healthy. Should never of started with Palmer in front of wells and Afobe, what an utter disaster that was. Oh wait, hang on, sorry I was dreaming for a minute 

not having AW was an opportunity today to have a go and as usual it was ROYALY bottled and the only plan B was to bring them on when the game was beyond us, shocking game management yet again, managers like Mowbray are not the best, but more experienced than LJ and time after time out do him and his predictable tactics and selections.

Rant over, happy Father’s Day all, oh and even he said how poor it was post match as well?

26 minutes ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

If weimann was playing yesterday this thread would still exist but only be about how he ran about for 90 mins without achieving anything. I feel like the problem is deeper than weimann not able to play yesterday.

It's not like he just runs around though, he's got 10 goals in the league this season, that's 1 more than Fam

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

It's not like he just runs around though, he's got 10 goals in the league this season, that's 1 more than Fam

Oh i agree, hes a decent player with qualities and i like his work rate. But i honestly dont feel that with him in the squad yesterday would be a lot of difference and i feel the problem lays deeper that a couple individuals not making the selection. 

Hopefully those issues can be sorted for the remainder of the season.

To a degree I would agree we did, if we don't try and play our way out one of our favoured exit routes from the defence is to hit channels and try and recover the ball high if it doesn't get received by a player, Weimann does excellently at chasing down these balls and at least pressuring the opposition player, yesterday Diedhiou up top alone is never going to chase balls as quickly/regularly as Weimann, Paterson behind him isn't coming to support to make it a front 2 out of possession so easily to play around and Eliasson/O'Dowda ineffective as wide men pushing forward to pressure either. It was a bit better once we went to 2 upfront, but still think Weimann at least gives us a spark.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Not strictly true, Fam has 10 league, Andi 9.  But Fam’s includes 1 pen.  But seeing as Andi rarely plays as the main striker, I feel his goal return is undervalued.  He is so much more than just runs around.

Imagine if O’Dowda, Eliasson, Paterson and Fam “just ran around”.....instead of standing still half the time.  But harsh on Fam, but Andi does a lot of his pressing for him.

Weimann is one of our few players with Premier league experience. He Is one of those unspectacular players whose contribution is often undervalued until he is absent. It’s not just his work rate but his ability to read the game better than many of the other players and create space for others. He also IMO makes our midfield less vulnerable when he plays than the likes of Pato or Callum.

To state the obvious, the more the ball is up their end, the more likely we are to score and they cannot score.  Andi is much better than O'Dowda at keeping the ball and getting into dangerous positions. Although he rarely has much product, he's a tireless runner and will run with the ball to bring it forward.

We definitely will have missed him.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Not strictly true, Fam has 10 league, Andi 9.  But Fam’s includes 1 pen.  But seeing as Andi rarely plays as the main striker, I feel his goal return is undervalued.  He is so much more than just runs around.

Imagine if O’Dowda, Eliasson, Paterson and Fam “just ran around”.....instead of standing still half the time.  But harsh on Fam, but Andi does a lot of his pressing for him.

I got the stats from this site which I use regularly:

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship/goalscorers?page=2

7 hours ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

Oh i agree, hes a decent player with qualities and i like his work rate. But i honestly dont feel that with him in the squad yesterday would be a lot of difference and i feel the problem lays deeper that a couple individuals not making the selection. 

Hopefully those issues can be sorted for the remainder of the season.

The big problem yesterday was the defence, we could have had Harry Kane up front and still would have lost, not just the goals but other errors like that Kalas backpass thet they should have put away, yesterday was just down to individual mistakes in defence

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The big problem yesterday was the defence, we could have had Harry Kane up front and still would have lost, not just the goals but other errors like that Kalas backpass thet they should have put away, yesterday was just down to individual mistakes in defence

I think they’ve got to tell Smith and Massengo to bugger off if they’re gonna launch it.  If they’re gonna play out, then Smith or Massengo can get involved but then Kalas and Baker need to split and be prepared to drive into space.

Basically we got it all wrong yesterday and you’re right, Kane wouldn’t have got any service.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I think that is actually Weimann's biggest weakness. He does not like to keep the ball at all.

I have seen him so many times isolated in attacking areas where needs to hold it up and he will shoot from unrealistic positions outside the box instead of keeping hold of it. Even crossing to no one because of a player closing him down as he has the ball.

But him giving it early can also be a big benefit too. Would be ideal if he did both.

I am wondering if going back to what we saw away at Stoke would work.

Weimann in behind 2 strikers. But with Wells and Afobe and not Fam.

That pressing from Weimann in that area may work very well imo. I know Palmer is the obvious one to go for but I think the work rate of Weimann could add a lot in that position.

In Johnson's time here he has shown pressing to be his best way of attacking teams.

Imagine winning the ball back and having Afobe and Wells to play it through to.

Very different to building from the back when teams have everyone in their defensive positions.

Do you mean Hull (a)?

In the 5212 I posted earlier, you are right Weimann would give us a real interesting option in the “hole”.

I think Weimann could have made a difference yesterday for sure. Central on one hand, but drifting out on the other maybe- possible overload vs the out of position inexperienced LB? It's purely hypothetical of course but I wonder about a Hunt-Weimann combo on that side, could that have been interesting?

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think that is actually Weimann's biggest weakness. He does not like to keep the ball at all.

I have seen him so many times isolated in attacking areas where needs to hold it up and he will shoot from unrealistic positions outside the box instead of keeping hold of it. Even crossing to no one because of a player closing him down as he has the ball.

But him giving it early can also be a big benefit too. Would be ideal if he did both.

I am wondering if going back to what we saw away at Stoke would work.

Weimann in behind 2 strikers. But with Wells and Afobe and not Fam.

That pressing from Weimann in that area may work very well imo. I know Palmer is the obvious one to go for but I think the work rate of Weimann could add a lot in that position.

In Johnson's time here he has shown pressing to be his best way of attacking teams.

Imagine winning the ball back and having Afobe and Wells to play it through to.

Very different to building from the back when teams have everyone in their defensive positions.

He might release it too often, but he is less easily dispossessed in my view than Callum.  

But yes, centrally is where he has always make his best impact. Out wide he's wasted.

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He might release it too often, but he is less easily dispossessed in my view than Callum.  

But yes, centrally is where he has always make his best impact. Out wide he's wasted.

How about something between wide and central- thinking e.g. wide forward in a 3? On the right of course- could be Weimann-Afobe-Wells, or Weimann-Afobe-Eliasson, looking right to left.

An example of this might be his goal vs Leeds- Eliasson was inside and passed it to him having drifted- can get up the phase of play minutes wise, then out to Weimann who came inside and got the goal- albeit deflected but quite well taken.

Archived