IGNORED

The Lansdown stand

Shaun Taylor

12 hours ago, bris red said:

It’s certainly not too big. We are a club striving for promotion and when pushing at this level we don’t have any problems getting 24-26 k through the turnstiles. IF we ever reach the Premier League we would have a real issue with the capacity at Ashton Gate being too small to be honest. With most teams in the Prem bringing 2.5 k away fans your only left with 24 ish k saleable home tickets - not enough for the demand there will be.

The Atyeo is still crying out to be rebuilt IMO. 

3k the away allocation I've read.

3k or 10%, whichever is lower- so about 2.7k, if you split the difference.

12 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Bristol Sport particularly the ex WMP Herbert don't t want the sort of atmosphere you get at many other stadiums. Shutting Atyeo to home fans the final straw. 

Generally a library as chanted by most away fans. 

Lansdown is expensive too. 

Talking of that, never did understand/could understand why someone from a force with a chequered history- and not even all just history but as recently as 2015 FFS- but yeah history and relatively recent issues with our fanbase, was hired as, er, Head of Security with us! He has his uses I'm sure but it seems a strange appointment...

10 hours ago, City37 said:

Yep - people have short memories.  

Prior to redevelopment it was common to read on here that it was a crap stand for atmosphere because of poor acoustics.

Simply not true and away followings have proved this over the years making some good noise.

I don't think the acoustics in the Atyeo were massively favourable.  Certainly not set against the East End.

It's odd though, but the more modern a stand, the worse the acoustics/atmosphere generating potential can be! Not always but often...

9 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Have people forgotten what the Williams stand used to be like? Everyone forgotten the old chant “Can you hear the Williams sing? NOOO! NOOO! Can you hear the Williams sing? I can’t hear an f’ing thing. Woah! Woah! AHHHH! :preacher:

There was that of course BUT in latter years there was also a noisy section in the Williams IIRC, talking late 2000's?

Nicely placed near the away end, that helped.

Went in there a few times- quite liked it!

7 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Fair play. 

Seems to deter most though judging by the terrible atmosphere at AG 

Reckon it does- whether it's among strangers or among quiet fans in general, it definitely has an effect.

On the flipside, me and a mate went in EastEnd once in late 2000's- wish I'd got a season ticket there tbh, was overspill tickets but certainly joined in and were fairly vocal. Mix of among strangers and among quiet fans IMO. Certainly don't want to be that one signing, belting out- especially ion say the Lansdown with the mix of high prices, family area and corporate/directors in the upper tier- has a real dampening effect on atmosphere, a noisy Lansdown- ain't happening.

10 hours ago, maxjak said:

Yes...... lets also have cheerleaders, marching bands and have quarters instead of two halves.

Didn’t we have cheerleaders back in the day? 70s? Or is my memory playing tricks?

I also seem to remember a modestly talented marching band at halftime still doing their stuff when the players we’re coming back on and having to be jeered off.

And don’t we effectively have quarters now with the drinks breaks?

You serious. I went back last year and took my son with me for the match against Blackburn. My son said why is some rugby team here as well. 

The back of the Lansdown stand is full of rugby stuff. I do like rugby but please lets not have this at Ashton Gate. 

Ashton Gate is home to BCFC. 

7 minutes ago, City oz said:

You serious. I went back last year and took my son with me for the match against Blackburn. My son said why is some rugby team here as well. 

The back of the Lansdown stand is full of rugby stuff. I do like rugby but please lets not have this at Ashton Gate. 

Send it back to the Mem and evict the travellers?

20 minutes ago, City oz said:

So on that basis the MCG and the Adelaide Oval should throw out the Aussie Rules football then?

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

So on that basis the MCG and the Adelaide Oval should throw out the Aussie Rules football then?

Good point but definitely not. It’s a different culture in OZ. Ashton Gate is the home of BCFC. It is like a second home to us that have been there for thousands of home games over the years. It was once a fortress with great atmosphere.

Australians do have passion in regards to their home grounds with various sporting codes. The culture though is different, the history is different. 

The MCG, Optus stadium, adelaide Oval, the Gabba etc are stadiums that look good but have they are not home to football as we know it.

When I kick the bucket I have requested my ashes be spread on to the pitch at Ashton gate. The home of Bristol City. Not a bloody rugby club.

6 hours ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Didn’t we have cheerleaders back in the day? 70s? Or is my memory playing tricks?

I also seem to remember a modestly talented marching band at halftime still doing their stuff when the players we’re coming back on and having to be jeered off.

And don’t we effectively have quarters now with the drinks breaks?

Theyr'e is more than a note of sarcasm in my statement, in response to someone who was suggesting the dumb idea of piped crowd effects  being used to bolster the atmosphere during a game when fans are back in the stadium.  I hate the Americanisation of sport in this country, and the thought of marching bands, cheer leaders and quarters makes me want to puke!   But you are correct in that we briefly had cheerleaders, which was thankfully dropped.  I also hope the drinks breaks will also be dropped once the current situation is resolved.  The introduction of VAR is bad enough, without any more changes to our national sport, it is not so much the idea of VAR, but the incompetence being shown in how it is used. 

On 18/07/2020 at 11:24, Bar BS3 said:

I think it would have been pretty loud on a Sunday lunchtime, or any other time we might have been beating Man Utd. 

What was the county ground like when you last beat Man Utd...?! 

It was pretty loud when we beat Arsenal in the quarter finals of the league cup in 79, Spurs in the Premiership in 93 and some league one game in 2014 ?

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It was pretty loud when we beat Arsenal in the quarter finals of the league cup in 79, Spurs in the Premiership in 93 and some league one game in 2014 ?

Cup quarter finals, Premiership wins and promotion seasons will all help that kind of atmosphere I suppose. 

Oh, hang on a minute....! ?

30 minutes ago, City oz said:

Good point but definitely not. It’s a different culture in OZ. Ashton Gate is the home of BCFC. It is like a second home to us that have been there for thousands of home games over the years. It was once a fortress with great atmosphere.

Yes, mate. I was there that day. Forget who we played now, but I was in the enclosure. 

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

Theyr'e is more than a note of sarcasm in my statement, in response to someone who was suggesting the dumb idea of piped crowd effects  being used to bolster the atmosphere during a game when fans are back in the stadium.  I hate the Americanisation of sport in this country, and the thought of marching bands, cheer leaders and quarters makes me want to puke!   But you are correct in that we briefly had cheerleaders, which was thankfully dropped.  I also hope the drinks breaks will also be dropped once the current situation is resolved.  The introduction of VAR is bad enough, without any more changes to our national sport, it is not so much the idea of VAR, but the incompetence being shown in how it is used. 

Agree with you entirely. 

Archived