IGNORED

What is facing our new manager?

cidered abroad

Just now, Spike said:

Bit of an ask for any team, I mean even Leeds could benefit from other teams in multiple positions and they've won the league. 

I'd say Eliasson, Wells and Dasilva are all good enough to walk into other Championship teams but it's not about other teams, it's purely about having an a team that compliments each other. You could put those three players in a team and they'd work together well, the issue is trying to force the rest of the squad in. Personally I think our biggest weakness is in the middle of the pitch, I can't remember the last team to get promoted that didn't have a solid midfielder. Massengo had potential but is no where near the value we paid, Nagy isn't consistent enough, Smith is injured too much to gain consistency and our best central midfielder left us to go to the Prem after most of our fans said he was over rated. 

We need that top tier central midfielder, someone who can do the work that none of our midfielders seem able to do. 

I really meant for the amount of players lj signed we really lack quality we’re a real mishmash of a squad, 100% agree about our midfield we’ve been crying out for a top midfielder for years.

8 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Whatever way you look at it, the City job is a fabulous job to have.

....if your surname is Johnson. :whistle:
  •  

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A complete and utter mess to be precise.

Midfield is a shambles, League 1 standard. Complete rebuild required.

Fammy, Eliasson likely off so that leaves Wells as one forward who, seemingly, would far prefer to be at QPR.

Defence needs at least one full back.

Keepers iffy.

Aside from that LJ left a bloated squad of very similarly lightweight average players who ain’t going to get promotion anytime soon.

If we don’t appoint a manager who has experience, has seen it, done it and got promotion then we could be in big trouble.

I can't agree with that IF we have the right manager in place.

Say we have CH, that will turn the heads of the players supposedly wanting to leave.

Hughton likes a 4-4-2 at Champ level but will change to 4-4-1-1 or 4-1-4-1 depending on how the game is going.

Just take a look at our players who fit into that formation and what players he worked with at Brighton and you can see the comparisons in the squad and quality

Good grief there’s some negative cr@p on this thread.

Get a grip lads & lasses.

I do agree with a couple one points.

we have a bloated squad with too many for the “future”

the strategy we have had over the last couple of years is buy them cheap, develop, sell. It won’t always work. 

The quality is in the squad for top 6...

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Good grief there’s some negative cr@p on this thread.

Get a grip lads & lasses.

I do agree with a couple one points.

we have a bloated squad with too many for the “future”

the strategy we have had over the last couple of years is buy them cheap, develop, sell. It won’t always work. 

The quality is in the squad for top 6...

Dead right Dave. Reading many posts makes it sound like  LJ was doing a fine job and overachieving , given the poor quality of players in his squad, and is unlucky to have been fired ! 

To my mind one of LJ's biggest failures was his inability to pick an unchanged ( or relatively unchanged) team from one week to the next. Not only that but rather than having a stable nucleus of a team, he seemed to make wholesale changes across defence or midfield from one week to the next along with different formations.

Im hoping the new manager, whoever that is, can determine the formation/style he wants to utilise and then determine his ideal starting 11 to fit with that, and sticks with that, subject to the odd tweak for injury suspension and loss of form.

For all the fans moans about our guilty team, it s our defensive record that has really cost us. This is the one area of the pitch, more than the others , where players benefit from playing alongside the same players week to week, 

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Bit of an ask for any team, I mean even Leeds could benefit from other teams in multiple positions and they've won the league. 

I'd say Eliasson, Wells and Dasilva are all good enough to walk into other Championship teams but it's not about other teams, it's purely about having an a team that compliments each other. You could put those three players in a team and they'd work together well, the issue is trying to force the rest of the squad in. Personally I think our biggest weakness is in the middle of the pitch, I can't remember the last team to get promoted that didn't have a solid midfielder. Massengo had potential but is no where near the value we paid, Nagy isn't consistent enough, Smith is injured too much to gain consistency and our best central midfielder left us to go to the Prem after most of our fans said he was over rated. 

We need that top tier central midfielder, someone who can do the work that none of our midfielders seem able to do. 

Nail sweetly on head! Today's midfield was almost non existent. So bad that Wells spent most of the game dropping into midfield trying to find the ball. 

Sad to see Korey as a shadow of his former self before the injuries.

Weimann, headless chicken syndrome and Paterson reincarnating his headless chicken routine.

A lot of work for the new manager. He needs to initiate significant improvement very quickly.

Archived