IGNORED

Swansea City and Steve Cooper

LondonBristolian

As funny as Forest’s capitulation is, it’s hard not to admire the job Cooper has done at Swansea.

Their financial situation is not great, they sold their best player to Man Utd in the summer and appointed a manager only those familiar with England’s back room set up were familiar with and to make the play-offs is an overachievement on expectations.

I hate to say it but there has to be a bit of a lesson for us in there - especially about the importance of going for the manager with the potential to do the job required, regardless of whether they are the biggest name or have the best track record.

Hope Brentford beat them in the play-offs, mind.

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

As funny as Forest’s capitulation is, it’s hard not to admire the job Cooper has done at Swansea.

Their financial situation is not great, they sold their best player to Man Utd in the summer and appointed a manager only those familiar with England’s back room set up were familiar with and to make the play-offs is an overachievement on expectations.

I hate to say it but there has to be a bit of a lesson for us in there - especially about the importance of going for the manager with the potential to do the job required, regardless of whether they are the biggest name or have the best track record.

The meltdown if we'd have appointed him would have been embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The meltdown if we'd have appointed him would have been embarrassing. 

The difference is Swansea's excellent track record of managerial appointments. Ours is pretty woeful by comparison...hence trust is low.

11 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

The difference is Swansea's excellent track record of managerial appointments. Ours is pretty woeful by comparison...hence trust is low.

They're a great example, also often have 5/6 academy players in their match day squad

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

He has done fine job (see also England (u20?) World Cup win), but I can only imagine the wages of some of their players Like Ayew, Van de Hoorn(?). Just saying it’s not quite a plucky rags to play off story.

oh and parachute payments out!

Didn’t he use his experience of knowing where to get some of loans from, from his time as England’s U20 squad? 

5 hours ago, steveybadger said:

He has done fine job (see also England (u20?) World Cup win), but I can only imagine the wages of some of their players Like Ayew, Van de Hoorn(?). Just saying it’s not quite a plucky rags to play off story.

oh and parachute payments out!

Ayew is on £60k a week!

They tried their best to offload him last season when he went on loan to Fenerbahce but the Turkish team didn’t make the deal permanent.

Borja Baston, who they finally got off the wage bill in January (basket case Villa of course obliged) was on £80k a week..

Cooper has done really well but on that sort of wages Ayew should be good, (he is, if a lot of a diver) shouldn’t he?

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Ayew is on £60k a week!

They tried their best to offload him last season when he went on loan to Fenerbahce but the Turkish team didn’t make the deal permanent.

Borja Baston, who they finally got off the wage bill in January (basket case Villa of course obliged) was on £80k a week..

Cooper has done really well but on that sort of wages Ayew should be good, (he is, if a lot of a diver) shouldn’t he?

They had been waiting for ages for Bony's contract to expire as well, £130,000 ish a week and apparently wasn't a big relegation reduction clause

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Ayew is on £60k a week!

60k doesn’t surprise me given his pedigree before he joined. He strikes me as a championship Pogba - you can see he is much better than he’s playing like, probably coz he doesn’t want to be there but can’t get the same loot elsewhere. Might be doing him a disservice but came across that way on Saturday....

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Nice one .... and your thread title has made my mind buzz into action for a new triv question to add to my collection - something along the lines of managers with the same initials as their clubs! 

Archived