IGNORED

Niketiah, Gerrard and now Hughton?

Roadrunner

22 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think you may have made two fundamental errors in your comment.

Just because Steve is a Billionaire does absolutely not get him any Manager (or Player for that matter) that he wants and you may well have mistaken 'dithering' for due process.

If CH throws a wobbly because SL doesn't immediately offer him  the best and arguably the safest job currently available in the EFL then he isn't the right Manager anyway.

As for fans frustration- everyone knows that any footie fan can run a club, choose a Manager, choose a player , choose a playing system much better than the idiots who are.

If Lansdown manages to get Hughton or if a similar calibrate I'll say your right and it's been due process but if you end up with Cowley then questions need to be asked unless of course you think he's the right man to take your forward. I agree it's all about opinions and every supporter is an expert but if the chairman wants to get to the promised land he will need somebody more than average at the helm 

4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Get them back, then. What tf are we doing getting rid of successful managers? Honestly, Lansdown, you are utterly clueless .....

Did I say get them back have I hinted that I want them back,

No

But look where we were before they were appointed,

Would you be happy to go back to fighting againt relegation,

Do you want ashton gate to go back to something on par with the county ground? Perhaps you were prefer the character and ownership of rovers?

2 hours ago, tin said:

Gumbo - off the top of my head Pulis, Millen, Coppell, McInnes, O’Driscoll have all been poor decisions made by SL. The decision to appoint LJ certainly wasn’t based on his CV, either. Dawe choose Cotts.

The only good appointment SL has been involved in during the last 20 years was Wilson, IMO. That’s why I think SL has a history of making mostly poor managerial decisions. 

I will no doubt get disagreed with, but I think your comment is off the mark. I'd say that Coppell, McInnes, and arguably O'Driscoll were all good, or at least reasonable decisions.

I think you need three categories - "good appointment", "good appointment but didn't work", "bad appointment". I'd put people like Millen and Tinnion in the "bad appointment" bucket. Gary and Cotts in the "good appointment" bucket. Coppell, McInness, and (maybe) O'Driscoll in the "good appointment but didn't work" bucket.

Coppell is, or was, a quality manager. The bloke clearly has some issues (which I really dislike being made light of on here but that's another story) but it's hard to argue against his pedigree. McInnes I maintain is a good manager, his stock was rising, and he's gone on to do pretty well since he left.

It's very easy with hindsight to say managers were poor decisions but at the time they were made some of them came with good pedigree, were exciting up and come-ers, or simply fit the current profile of the club.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

If Lansdown manages to get Hughton or if a similar calibrate I'll say your right and it's been due process but if you end up with Cowley then questions need to be asked unless of course you think he's the right man to take your forward. I agree it's all about opinions and every supporter is an expert but if the chairman wants to get to the promised land he will need somebody more than average at the helm 

plus a stack of cash and a massive slice of lucky cake!

We might find that Lee was a lot better manager than given credit for. A number of clubs have removed managers in similar circumstances to achieve a higher goal, and discovered that they were actually doing well - Curbishley at Charlton being an obvious example. Last season Lee was left with a side devoid of midfield once JB left, and any manager would have struggled in those circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

We might find that Lee was a lot better manager than given credit for. A number of clubs have removed managers in similar circumstances to achieve a higher goal, and discovered that they were actually doing well - Curbishley at Charlton being an obvious example. Last season Lee was left with a side devoid of midfield once JB left, and any manager would have struggled in those circumstances.

Good point about Curbishley as he worked miracles at Charlton for many years. Would you want Jo Bryan  Bobby Reid back or have they had their better years etc. Also was Johnson told to sell certain players to balance the books 

4 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Last season (2019-20)  City signed Massengo and Nagy, sold Pack and let Patterson, Walsh and Morrell go out on loan. LJ said on numerous occasions that he had the final say on transfers & loans so he’s got to take some responsibility for the midfield. 

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Last season (2019-20)  City signed Massengo and Nagy, sold Pack and let Patterson, Walsh and Morrell go out on loan. LJ said on numerous occasions that he had the final say on transfers & loans so he’s got to take some responsibility for the midfield. 

Interestingly, the Forum bandwagon buzzword was ‘Upgrade’, whilst a few of us were cautious based on number of games played and new to English football. Both were gambles, especially in a team with plenty of wingers/ creators, but too few workhorses. Then to add Palmer as well, very strange signing.
Now it’s just a case of seeing who comes in and getting behind them. When you look at the cash problems Championship clubs will face, just tidy up the midfield and we will have a pretty strong squad for next season, with plenty of young talent coming through.

9 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Interestingly, the Forum bandwagon buzzword was ‘Upgrade’, whilst a few of us were cautious based on number of games played and new to English football. Both were gambles, especially in a team with plenty of wingers/ creators, but too few workhorses. Then to add Palmer as well, very strange signing.
Now it’s just a case of seeing who comes in and getting behind them. When you look at the cash problems Championship clubs will face, just tidy up the midfield and we will have a pretty strong squad for next season, with plenty of young talent coming through.

You may have plenty of young talent coming through but will they be given the opportunity to play and im not just talking about BCFC ive seen it at Swindon where young players get the odd game then are loaned out or sold and I've never been a fan of having under 23 leagues as at that age you should be a first team player and if you're not good enough move onto a level where you play every week 

14 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You may have plenty of young talent coming through but will they be given the opportunity to play and im not just talking about BCFC ive seen it at Swindon where young players get the odd game then are loaned out or sold and I've never been a fan of having under 23 leagues as at that age you should be a first team player and if you're not good enough move onto a level where you play every week 

You'd hope so, tbh.

I think some of our young talent both brought from elsewhere (Moore and Walsh) and from our academy (Morrell) is good enough.

Not saying they play every single game but I think given the right a) Opportunity and b) Shape, (latter goes for all our players actually, a big bugbear of mine under LJ in season just gone) they can prove themselves, at this level. 

Those 3 feel the closest to me,in terms of making the step up.

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You'd hope so, tbh.

I think some of our young talent both brought from elsewhere (Moore and Walsh) and from our academy (Morrell) is good enough.

Not saying they play every single game but I think given the right a) Opportunity and b) Shape, (latter goes for all our players actually, a big bugbear of mine under LJ in season just gone) they can prove themselves, at this level. 

Those 3 feel the closest to me,in terms of making the step up.

It will be good if their given the chance as too many clubs bring in average foreign players who aren't any better and command big wages which forces the homegrown talent to move on

16 hours ago, tin said:

Gumbo - off the top of my head Pulis, Millen, Coppell, McInnes, O'Driscoll have all been poor decisions made by SL. The decision to appoint LJ certainly wasn’t based on his CV, either. Dawe choose Cotts.

The only good appointment SL has been involved in during the last 20 years was Wilson, IMO. That’s why I think SL has a history of making mostly poor managerial decisions. 

Pulis was a manager on the rise and had just taken Gillingham to within a late goal of the highest level in their history. No fan of his but he's had a pretty good career! 

Millen. Yeah not ideal- he was useful to steady the ship for a bit after the upheaval of Coppell but to actually appoint- very poor! 

Coppell. Didn't he have a similar record to the much vaunted (and rightly so) Hughton! Took Reading into PL in 2006 and top half in first season.

He also had a number of successful spells at Crystal Palace, including a promotion to PL in 1997. Actually promoted to the top flight in 1989 too- age 55, in and around peak years too!!

O'Driscoll and his record was perfectly respectable prior to joining us.

Solid work at Bournemouth, think some development of youth. A relegation and promotion. 

Doncaster he did some truly excellent work at. Took them to their highest level in a very long time and solid Championship side for several years with some excellent football.

Harshly sacked but perhaps had run his race. They had a terrible start to that last period in charge.

Helped keep Nottingham Forest up, as coach under Cotterill. 

A season of struggle for Nottingham Forest was replaced by being in and around playoffs. 

Rose to 7th on Boxing Day,  or around there- point or so off playoffs. Beat Leeds 4-2...sacked? Harsh again.

Literally he was sacked same day as beating Leeds 4-2.

In particular Coppell and O'Driscoll might the issue be more than 'poor appointments'. :)

Something intangible. Nothing wrong with their records on appointment frankly, nothing at all.

Archived