IGNORED

On to the serious stuff - Swansea v Brentford

Lanterne Rouge

11 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

You're saying that is weird I remember when you insisted on here you knew the poster James by face and he had no idea  who you we're.

Takes one to know one guess..

I know a lot of people in this city.

11 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Why do some Welsh clubs play in the English leagues and some not? Seems generally accepted but what’s the back story?

As I understand it;

Goes back to when there was no Welsh league (over 100 years ago) so those around at that time played in the English leagues. Those clubs have been allowed to continue to play in the English leagues and until fairly recently also in the Welsh cup allowing them into Europe. 

The Welsh FA set up their "premier" league in the early 90's and tried to force all Welsh clubs to join but Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Wrexham, and Colwyn Bay told them to do one. Other clubs tried to do the same but failed, for example Caernarfon played their home matches two hours away in England for a season or two as the Welsh FA prohibited them from playing in the English league in Wales. They had to tow the line due to costs and lost court cases in common with others.

Farce in other words.

16 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As I understand it;

Goes back to when there was no Welsh league (over 100 years ago) so those around at that time played in the English leagues. Those clubs have been allowed to continue to play in the English leagues and until fairly recently also in the Welsh cup allowing them into Europe. 

The Welsh FA set up their "premier" league in the early 90's and tried to force all Welsh clubs to join but Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Wrexham, and Colwyn Bay told them to do one. Other clubs tried to do the same but failed, for example Caernarfon played their home matches two hours away in England for a season or two as the Welsh FA prohibited them from playing in the English league in Wales. They had to tow the line due to costs and lost court cases in common with others.

Farce in other words.

Merthyr Town are another Welsh club who play in the English league system (and were once in what is now the EFL).

21 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As I understand it;

Farce in other words.

That's right. When Wrexham were in financial difficulty a few years ago, they were warned that if they went bust and reformed as a phoenix club, they'd have to go into the Welsh system

Colwyn Bay have actually gone back to the Welsh system within the last couple of years, I think to reduce travel costs and aim to get into Europe and make a bit of money.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The decision isn't a joke. It sounds like it's the rule you have issue with...

As soon as Henry lunges in like with his studs up and foot off the ground, he's at risk of committing serious foul play and no doubt he knows this.  Silly tackle to make on the halfway line. Them the rules, I'm afraid. 

Very much a problem with the rule as soon as you say 'intent' or 'risk' then you take away the ability to do it and in so its more of the actions itself than the actual execution of the action. Fwiw I think the tackle is executed well and not a red card because his raised leg doesn't connect with the leg of the player, he's not lunged into the tackle he's slid and there's no follow through either its controlled.

3 hours ago, Lez said:

This is football not tiddlywinks.

But it’s what football currently is. 
Yes, 10 years (hell even 5 years) ago, that tackle would’ve been ok. But nowadays, the  rules state that it was a red card. 
No football fans like the decision, but it’s the correct decision according to current rules. 

When I watched it live, you could see Henry was so desperate to get there and he was sprinting full pelt into the tackle. But he was coming from too far away and was always second best. 
I could see, the split second before the tackle, that he was travelling too fast and was going to be ‘out of control’ if he slid in. 

It was a poor decision by the player. 

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

But it’s what football currently is. 
Yes, 10 years (hell even 5 years) ago, that tackle would’ve been ok. But nowadays, the  rules state that it was a red card. 
No football fans like the decision, but it’s the correct decision according to current rules. 

When I watched it live, you could see Henry was so desperate to get there and he was sprinting full pelt into the tackle. But he was coming from too far away and was always second best. 
I could see, the split second before the tackle, that he was travelling too fast and was going to be ‘out of control’ if he slid in. 

It was a poor decision by the player. 

Straightened leg, foot over the top half of the ball....asking for trouble imho.

1. In my years of playing, I still couldn’t work out how unnatural it felt to straight leg an opponent with either one leg or both.  I never did it.

2. I can however understand how you can block tackle someone and go over the top half of the ball, catching the player but playing the ball.

Henry’s was no1 above, but both are reckless and endanger an opponent.

8 hours ago, Lez said:

I have no idea what your point is.

Simon says help I have no idea 

Simon says put your hand up

Simon says sit 

do you get it now 

Sorry  I forgot to say something Simon says

Remember its only a game ?

10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

As I understand it;

Farce in other words.

Same as Newport. When they lost their league status they was told they would have to join the Welsh FA. So the became the Exiles playing their games in England to allow them to carry on in the English FA set up. 
If Cardiff and Swansea was forced to play in the Welsh FA all they would be creating would be another SPL with those two teams becoming Rangers and Celtic and Newport Aberdeen. 

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Straightened leg, foot over the top half of the ball....asking for trouble imho.

1. In my years of playing, I still couldn’t work out how unnatural it felt to straight leg an opponent with either one leg or both.  I never did it.

2. I can however understand how you can block tackle someone and go over the top half of the ball, catching the player but playing the ball.

Henry’s was no1 above, but both are reckless and endanger an opponent.

Tackling and natural? It is a learned process. Its developed by self coaching our own experiences and coaching. The foot patterns of tackling at speed with a straight leg are not particularly unnatural. Its is arguably less complex than the foot patterns of decelerating and positioning the ankle, knees and hips to transition to tackle from speed. 

Reckless is an opinion. Endangering is an opinion. My opinion would be it was neither. Kids stuff but I would want players to not go to ground outside of the box because it is frequently not necessary, and they leave themselves open to an opinion, an interpretation of a poor law like handball that doesn't observe the physiology of movement.

Looks a red in normal speed. Watch in slow-mo and you see Henry reach the loose ball first, clear it and Roberts fall over his legs after the ball has departed.  He makes contact with the ball, Roberts makes contact with him. His feet do not come into contact with Roberts. He doesn't "take his legs away". The player tripped over Henry then fell over with the obligatory howl of mock pain.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Looks a red in normal speed. Watch in slow-mo and you see Henry reach the loose ball first, clear it and Roberts fall over his legs after the ball has departed.  He makes contact with the ball, Roberts makes contact with him. His feet do not come into contact with Roberts. He doesn't "take his legs away". The player tripped over Henry then fell over with the obligatory howl of mock pain.

Must admit when watching it live, I immediately said it was going to be a red card. On replay, I may bring it down to a yellow, but the ref only gets one look.

Silly tackle from Henry, in a nowhere position on the pitch.

Archived