IGNORED

Frank de Boer?

EnderMB

He's out of the door at Atlanta United, and after such a torrid time at Palace he might feel that he has something to prove in English football.

On paper, it doesn't sound like he'd want to come to a second division team, but outside of the Netherlands I can't see him getting a top job. He did well with Ajax and he won a cup with Atlanta United, but poor spells at Inter Milan and Crystal Palace would turn a lot of owners off of him.

With that being said, he performed great things when given time and when trying to build a possession-based game. His philosophy seems to match nicely with what Lansdown wants to do, so maybe this would be the big name that Lansdown would want to get behind? Also, again, if we can offer an opportunity back into the Premier League I think he'd take that opportunity with both hands.

I follow Atlanta and the MLS and his time there has been SO weird and I’m still shocked they sacked him.

They won 2/2 in the normal MLS season but lost all 3 (without scoring) at the “MLS is back” tournament, this was in no small part due to the fact their literal goal machine, Josef Martinez, is out injured (and they couldn’t sign a replacement). His Euro style also did not mesh with the South Americans at the club (he had a couple of falling outs too apparently, leading to their best defender going to Mexico and now at Miami) BUT they still did  pretty well. 

His style could work for us and our league is definitely better overall than The MLS but I imagine his monetary demands would be big (Atlanta are mega rich) and he didn’t get on with players by and large there or at Palace (though at Atlanta it was very Brian Clough at Leeds situation. Beloved successful manager leaves to manage national team and surprising appointment comes in). 

Very left field suggestion but not an entirely bad one though.  

18 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

He's out of the door at Atlanta United, and after such a torrid time at Palace he might feel that he has something to prove in English football.

On paper, it doesn't sound like he'd want to come to a second division team, but outside of the Netherlands I can't see him getting a top job. He did well with Ajax and he won a cup with Atlanta United, but poor spells at Inter Milan and Crystal Palace would turn a lot of owners off of him.

With that being said, he performed great things when given time and when trying to build a possession-based game. His philosophy seems to match nicely with what Lansdown wants to do, so maybe this would be the big name that Lansdown would want to get behind? Also, again, if we can offer an opportunity back into the Premier League I think he'd take that opportunity with both hands.

No disrespect mate, as obviously all suggestions deserve debating at a time like this, but when he was Palace boss they made the worst start to a season in the English top flight that any club had recorded for nearly 100 years ... the new manager ‘bounce’ that so many believe in, didn’t kick in when he was at Selhurst Park ...

He was heavily involved and in the Ajax youth set up and coaching. He is a good coach, but would need to be given time to implement his style if he came here, something clubs are not often prone to do.

Think he would be a manager / coach.. with his ties, and experience he could also be a good a DoF if we do go for cat 1 at some time in the future.

7 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

I follow Atlanta and the MLS and his time there has been SO weird and I’m still shocked they sacked him.

They won 2/2 in the normal MLS season but lost all 3 (without scoring) at the “MLS is back” tournament, this was in no small part due to the fact their literal goal machine, Josef Martinez, is out injured (and they couldn’t sign a replacement). His Euro style also did not mesh with the South Americans at the club (he had a couple of falling outs too apparently, leading to their best defender going to Mexico and now at Miami) BUT they still did  pretty well. 

His style could work for us and our league is definitely better overall than The MLS but I imagine his monetary demands would be big (Atlanta are mega rich) and he didn’t get on with players by and large there or at Palace (though at Atlanta it was very Brian Clough at Leeds situation. Beloved successful manager leaves to manage national team and surprising appointment comes in). 

I’m a season ticket holder and am so glad he’s gone. Under Tata the football was fast and attacking. De Boer seemed clueless and they were toothless and boring to watch. He let so many good players go and didn’t replace them. He’s undone so much good work and there was a growing shout here in Atlanta for him to go. 

17 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No disrespect mate, as obviously all suggestions deserve debating at a time like this, but when he was Palace boss they made the worst start to a season in the English top flight that any club had recorded for nearly 100 years ... the new manager ‘bounce’ that so many believe in, didn’t kick in when he was at Selhurst Park ...

To be fair, Crystal Palace had just gone from Big Sam to a man that wanted to implement a possession-based game. He wasn't backed, and he was sacked after four games, which is absolutely mental.

IMO, this is exactly why I think he'd consider a move here. Lansdown backed LJ far beyond what any reasonable manager would, we've got a decent youth setup here, and most importantly he'd get the opportunity to show that he can hack it in England. We're also not poor, so he'd probably be backed enough in the transfer market to build something credible here.

With that being said, my only gripe with his approach is whether it'd be possible to build a possession-based side in the second tier. Many say that the quality down here isn't sufficient, but since FdB managed it on a shoestring at Ajax I wonder if he could work the same magic here. I'd argue that a smaller budget here might suit him.

18 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Too risky and lost the dressing room pretty quick with his boring tactics which is surprising considering his pedigree but I wouldn't think Lansdown would gamble on him  ?

10 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

I’m a season ticket holder and am so glad he’s gone. Under Tata the football was fast and attacking. De Boer seemed clueless and they were toothless and boring to watch. He let so many good players go and didn’t replace them. He’s undone so much good work and there was a growing shout here in Atlanta for him to go. 

His style of play, and management, is the polar opposite of Tata’s so I’m amazed he was even appointed. The sales of Gressel and Nagbe were insane, not to mention LGP. De Boer probably would’ve worked better at, say, Toronto, NYCFC or one of the new expansions. 

You guys were spoiled with Tata and I hope you get someone like him in again. 

20 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

His style of play, and management, is the polar opposite of Tata’s so I’m amazed he was even appointed. The sales of Gressel and Nagbe were insane, not to mention LGP. De Boer probably would’ve worked better at, say, Toronto, NYCFC or one of the new expansions. 

You guys were spoiled with Tata and I hope you get someone like him in again. 

So do I.  Nagbe apparently wanted a move, but de Boer just refused to pay Gressel a reasonable wage.  He fell out with LGP and offloaded the fan favourite Tito Villalba.  Add to that Meram, Ambrose, Vazquez, Pogba, and the retirement of Parkhurst.  None of these were really replaced.

We were spoiled with Tata, because de Boer in fact told us so in a press conference.  That's no excuse for the dross he brought to the club.  

3 hours ago, Atlanta_Red said:

So do I.  Nagbe apparently wanted a move, but de Boer just refused to pay Gressel a reasonable wage.  He fell out with LGP and offloaded the fan favourite Tito Villalba.  Add to that Meram, Ambrose, Vazquez, Pogba, and the retirement of Parkhurst.  None of these were really replaced.

We were spoiled with Tata, because de Boer in fact told us so in a press conference.  That's no excuse for the dross he brought to the club.  

Out of interest, who do the Atlanta United fans want to replace him? I watched some MLS stuff the other day, and a few of them mentioned that the fans wanted the River Plate manager due to the South America connection, but said he'd be a hard ask.

22 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

**** Frank de Boer. I want the goal machine! 

Tata Martino...think he'd be a good choice!

Nice little CV- Argentina, Paraguay managed at international level- the latter he did really rather a solid job with, the former didn't quite work. I say didn't work, all relative- Wiki says he had a 65% win ratio and came 2nd in Copa America- scored over 2 goals a game too- but he quit so yeah!

Also managed a little known club called Barcelona in 2013/14- and is IIRC Mexico manager atm.

I like the line in his Wiki- think he maybe just a little out of range though!

Appears to have a bit of an unfortunate habit of coming second!

Stylistically though- feels less than realistic but would either go fantastic or bellyup really quick- probably would be exciting to find out though!

Gerardo Martino prefers to play a very high pressing and an attacking style of football. At Barcelona, Martino continued the club's preferred style of play tiki-taka along with his own tactics. All of Martino's teams have the same distinguishable traits: they play attack-minded football, they are creative and the style is based on quick passing. In addition, Martino's teams also pressure high up the pitch, play out from the back and depend on their youth systems.[27]

Emphasis on youth seems rather ideal too!

7 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Out of interest, who do the Atlanta United fans want to replace him? I watched some MLS stuff the other day, and a few of them mentioned that the fans wanted the River Plate manager due to the South America connection, but said he'd be a hard ask.

A few folks over here i know are wanting Pochettino.  Not really realistic.

Archived