IGNORED

The US Format

TBW

I know people are fed up with all the new topics based on the new manager but I hope this one makes a little more sense as to why it is a new start.

I don't know how many of you know about Jon Lansdown's hobbies but he's a fan of US sports, in particular Baseball, and looking over our structure and trying to come to terms with it leads me to thinking that maybe he is trying to do something different with our structure and trying to emulate what is done in the majority of US sports. Over there, the job of the coach is done on the field/pitch/court and not on the phones to other clubs to find transfers (or trades as they have in the US) to/from other clubs.

For those that aren't aware of the US system, in most sports every team has a Head Coach who implements his style of play, runs training, coaches to his heart's desire but in the background, the build up of that team is made by the General Manager (GM) and whoever he has by his side, usually a number of consultants, analysts etc.

The problem that can come in this situation is when there is a Head Coach and a GM who disagree on a player. For example, the GM signs players or trades players away to try and force a Head Coach's hand (sell the wingers and you're not playing with wingers anymore!). If you've ever seen Moneyball (2011) you'll have a basic understanding of what I'm trying to say.

Ultimately, maybe this is what we've got here and why Holden has been handed the job. Mark Ashton is potentially now in effect, our GM, and has full control of the ins/outs with Lansdown trusting him more than he does someone new coming in. How much Ashton is willing to listen to Holden on any moves is something only they know but they could just be wanting a "yes man" in the job to allow the testing of this US format in football.

Another problem we have though is that in the US they don't have youth teams, they have the NCAA and drafts. You have a bad year you get a good draft pick and a chance to reload on talent. There is no relegation. The worst that's going to happen is ticket sales drop and people switch-off from the club until they get good again. With us, we don't have that, a relegation would be a huge setback. We can't just pull in a star with a #1 draft pick, we have to just hope our kids come through the system and work out.

I, for one did not want Dean Holden. Hell, I still don't. But I don't think Holden is the problem here. I think it might be a format they head office are trying to put in place to see if it works here. Unfortunately for Holden he's now the scapegoat and if things go badly, it's on his shoulders.

Archived