IGNORED

Morrell Interview (post-Swindon)

Davefevs

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t quite as straightforward as that.  Giggs decided he needed someone match fit, who he knew could get through two 90 minutes, so that his two key players lacking match fitness (Ramsey and Bale) could be used as efficiently as possible without needing to waste subs elsewhere.  It is why he predominantly got picked over Ampadu, who Giggs felt couldn’t last 2 games in a short period.

Regardless of that context, Fevs - and I pay no attention to Welsh football unless they are playing England - the decision not to recall Morrell in January was wrong at the time just as those who say it is now in hindsight. I’ve watched him for a while now and he was ready for this level two years ago, IMO. 

SL mentioned the academy in his recent interview but didn’t name a single City youngster and signed off the signings of several midfielders who blocked Joe’s path to the first XI. I hope he gets his chance this year, with us not Wales, as I’m sure he’ll take it. 

59 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Physically Fragile - We get bullied. Regularly. We get injuries. Regularly.

Mentally Fragile - Players at best consistently inconsistent. Just carp at worst.

If the imports are that good, then taking on the Championship should’ve been a breeze. It wasn’t.

Walsh et al. Potential. League 1 though is where Bristol Rovers play. 

As an ex-midfielder, the ex-Manager should have at least been able to organise the talent there into a decent unit. He couldn’t.

Worrying. 

With that attitude we'd have binned off Bobby Reid and Spurs would have binned off Harry Kane.

These are players with massive potential and in some cases absolutely proven. Last year's problems were not down to their individual ability.

13 minutes ago, tin said:

Regardless of that context, Fevs - and I pay no attention to Welsh football unless they are playing England - the decision not to recall Morrell in January was wrong at the time just as those who say it is now in hindsight. I’ve watched him for a while now and he was ready for this level two years ago, IMO. 

SL mentioned the academy in his recent interview but didn’t name a single City youngster and signed off the signings of several midfielders who blocked Joe’s path to the first XI. I hope he gets his chance this year, with us not Wales, as I’m sure he’ll take it. 

I totally agree. Huge fan of him. He burst (back) on the scene in 18/19 and was stopped from going out on loan with Korey’s injury...and then LJ never included him in an 18 again. Bizarre. 

9 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

With that attitude we'd have binned off Bobby Reid and Spurs would have binned off Harry Kane.

These are players with massive potential and in some cases absolutely proven. Last year's problems were not down to their individual ability.

Already commented in previous postings that Bobby (and Joe) in their ‘breakthrough’ year did a lot of ‘core’ training at that AtoB gym in the close season. In my view, that made all the difference to their stamina and strength. 

Mind you for every Bobby we produced there have been about 20 discards to the likes of Torquay et al. 

Certainly, if you look at the likes of Spurs there is quite a bit of physicality in the team to complement finesse. I think most German sides - and they are the new kid on the block - have power, pace, stamina and for me, that is the new model  (much like Rugby has developed - and Bristol were late to the game on that too).

You may be right, with our ‘starlet’ loanees back, we may strike a formula that works. It’s more hope than faith for me which, about 10 years into the 5 pillars strategy, 4 years of stable management and coaching (yes, including Dean) and £10’s millions spent is way beyond disappointing. 

Archived