IGNORED

Diedhiou staying

OneTeamInBristol

41 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Plus have we ever played to his strengths?

When we had targeted him, I remember some  on here giving a decent insight into what we were getting. It wasn't a target man , which is how we have forced him into playing. Plus , as you say , top scorer for the past 2 years . 38 in 93 starts ain't bad.

Yep, I watched a fair bit of him for Angers - he ain’t a target man.

His goals record is pretty decent....but his contribution to team system wasn’t great.  He probably played better (himself) when he played on his own.

I don’t think he brought the best out of any strike partner, or helped other players get their goal tally up.  That’s the frustrating bit of his performance for me.

We can see how Chris Martin is bringing the best out of Wells, as well as helping the midfield get into goalscoring positions off of his excellent hold up play and clever passing.

That's the difference for me.

Its a shame.  The Fam we saw pre-injury in the cup, was a freer Fam, much more like the Fam in France.

Whether he had that coached out of him, or whether he struggles to cope with the intensity of the Champ to play his natural game I don’t know.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

His goals record is pretty decent....but his contribution to team system wasn’t great.  He probably played better (himself) when he played on his own.

I don’t think he brought the best out of any strike partner, or helped other players get their goal tally up.  That’s the frustrating bit of his performance for me.

We can see how Chris Martin is bringing the best out of Wells, as well as helping the midfield get into goalscoring positions off of his excellent hold up play and clever passing.

That's the difference for me.

Its a shame.  The Fam we saw pre-injury in the cup, was a freer Fam, much more like the Fam in France.

Whether he had that coached out of him, or whether he struggles to cope with the intensity of the Champ to play his natural game I don’t know.

Over the last few years we haven't played the ball in behind defences for runners, something that would have possibly brought more from Fam, and a few others . Now we are getting more support from MF and we have someone who can hold the ball consistently that may change, and it may bring the best out of Wells too. 

I like Fam , but can only see him running his contract out and going for nothing in the summer. I don't see how we can tempt him into signing a new one ,this close to him signing a pre contract elsewhere. Not like he's guaranteed to play often here now with Martin doing so well.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Respect your view but don’t agree with this.

I was watching Bobby Reid’s 20 odd goals in his last season with us the other day & was surprised at how many had a crucial involvement (sometimes a direct assist) from Fam in the build up.

Accept that hasn’t been the case when paired with Weimann and Wells (though the latter is a pretty small case sample) & don’t know how much is down to him & how much to his partner but he has been effective in one partnership.

Not sure what his future is, although he is 4 or 5 years younger than Martin so may get a few starts in the flurry of games coming up, his time with us suggests he is most effective when he gets a decent run, which seems highly unlikely at present, plus of course his contract issue needs resolving.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Respect your view but don’t agree with this.

I was watching Bobby Reid’s 20 odd goals in his last season with us the other day & was surprised at how many had a crucial involvement (sometimes a direct assist) from Fam in the build up.

Accept that hasn’t been the case when paired with Weimann and Wells (though the latter is a pretty small case sample) & don’t know how much is down to him & how much to his partner but he has been effective in one partnership.

Not sure what his future is, although he is 4 or 5 years younger than Martin so may get a few starts in the flurry of games coming up, his time with us suggests he is most effective when he gets a decent run, which seems highly unlikely at present, plus of course his contract issue needs resolving.

Respect yours too.  In 17/18 those early months they formed a partnership.  I often think that was Fam at his best for us.  But the Fam that came back was different, and Reid wasn’t the same either as a result.  Bar a hat trick v Wednesday, Reid only scored in 4 of the last 19 games.  I don’t lay it all on Fam, LJ changed so many components of the “4420” press around the same time.

Just for info.

Fam start of season:

2F7D9299-4B41-4350-8FEE-0BB4D0BD20EB.thumb.jpeg.f21b5113c7776750e40d05b5195d2aa1.jpeg

Bobby start of season:

02D37C2B-81C6-46DA-96A6-0F34D9F8A3DF.jpeg.cfa42b75f9873e9947994849ba9010b1.jpeg

Bobby middle portion when Fam injured:

80153B78-8503-4CC9-B03B-E9685A027040.jpeg.b80b243e2f0abf26182be7933bdcca09.jpeg

Fam post injury:

84AF2974-9CB4-4217-9CA9-F96D731B42F1.thumb.jpeg.91a6be2902bec5dbc4919a6fd9a5a8c0.jpeg

Bobby post Fam’s injury

9C7BAD3A-E15B-45A5-88DA-9A67F4A69664.thumb.jpeg.cb842214ce8f31df149927d68d645c41.jpeg

Archived