IGNORED

Tommy Rowe - interview

Davefevs

He came to us with little fanfare, an out of the blue signing from Donny and yet he's held his own in a number of positions on the pitch and always put in a shift. A good, hard working squad player. I think his contract is up at the end of this season but I'd certainly not object to giving him another year.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

Reminds me a bit of Waggy - he`ll come in and do whatever job is asked of him to the best of his ability and won`t ever complain. Model pro.

Loved Waggy.

Met him on a couple of occasions and he's very grounded - still has an apartment in Hotwells last I heard.

I find it very fascinating that no teams have set up to get at him and Hunt. That's a glaring weakness waiting to be exploited. And even we realise that by having two young, faster fullbacks on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised to either see a disaster of a performance, or swapping both fullbacks to avoid this at some point in the season the first time we play a team who play with genuine wingers.

I don't know enough about Ryan Sessegnon to really say about him vs Hunt, but shouldn't Jay Dasilva just be better in all situations than Rowe? It's another good sign to me that Holden just picks the guy he likes rather than the bigger signing, and I like Tommy Rowe as a squad player as I've said before. Giving him a new deal is interesting, if we're in the championship, definitely! But he's one of the first to go if we ever get promoted just because it's a gross physical mismatch at a higher level as we saw vs Villa reserves (although obv playing LCB, not LWB/LB).

I've said it before but he's the squad player O'Dowda should be. Don't need both of them, well, we don't need one of them specifically... 

25 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I find it very fascinating that no teams have set up to get at him and Hunt. That's a glaring weakness waiting to be exploited. And even we realise that by having two young, faster fullbacks on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised to either see a disaster of a performance, or swapping both fullbacks to avoid this at some point in the season the first time we play a team who play with genuine wingers.

I don't know enough about Ryan Sessegnon to really say about him vs Hunt, but shouldn't Jay Dasilva just be better in all situations than Rowe? It's another good sign to me that Holden just picks the guy he likes rather than the bigger signing, and I like Tommy Rowe as a squad player as I've said before. Giving him a new deal is interesting, if we're in the championship, definitely! But he's one of the first to go if we ever get promoted just because it's a gross physical mismatch at a higher level as we saw vs Villa reserves (although obv playing LCB, not LWB/LB).

I've said it before but he's the squad player O'Dowda should be. Don't need both of them, well, we don't need one of them specifically... 

Rowe has played over 50 games for us, if he was a glaring weakness then I would have thought he would have been found out by now.

Hunt has played hundreds of games and I really would think if he was a glaring weakness he would have been found out by now.

5 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I've been wondering about why Jay isn't getting picked. Hoping that he's just being wrapped in cotton wool after injury. But it's starting to look as though he's not favoured. It's difficult to argue with given how well the team's doing, but I can't help being disappointed, I just love watching him play.

Probably because up to Saturday we had won every game?

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

I find it very fascinating that no teams have set up to get at him and Hunt. That's a glaring weakness waiting to be exploited.

it’s as glaring a weakness as a midfield 3 with Paterson and Weimann in it in many ways.  So far we’ve only played on team who play with a back 4 (Forest 4231) and wingers.  Hunt has been especially good at playing high up, negating how much time he has to spend defending (in our half).  In some respects we are slightly lopsided, Vyner plays further right than Mawson does left, and Rowe plays deeper.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that Weimann plays predominantly left (on Rowe’s side) giving us extra “legs” on that side.  Plus if Rowe’s opposite number pushes onto him, it gives Weimann space to exploit.  Look at how Weimann picked up Wells layoff from a deep Rowe to set up our equalising goal.

And even we realise that by having two young, faster fullbacks on the roster. I wouldn't be surprised to either see a disaster of a performance, or swapping both fullbacks to avoid this at some point in the season the first time we play a team who play with genuine wingers.

quite possibly.  I’m sure Dasilva will become 1st choice again over the coming games.  I think Hunt is 1st choice on the right.  We’ve seen that even when you have great wingers, if you can’t get them on the ball, or they can’t contribute to play, then they are easily non-existent (Eliasson). On the flip, they can be the gateway to causing nightmares.  This Championship is made up of very different teams, and there will some we excel against and some we don’t.  It might not be those with wingers, although it could be.  One to watch.

I don't know enough about Ryan Sessegnon to really say about him vs Hunt, but shouldn't Jay Dasilva just be better in all situations than Rowe?

Sessegnon, quick, but like Hunt, bit at his best defensively.

see above re Dasilva.

It's another good sign to me that Holden just picks the guy he likes rather than the bigger signing, and I like Tommy Rowe as a squad player as I've said before. Giving him a new deal is interesting, if we're in the championship, definitely! But he's one of the first to go if we ever get promoted just because it's a gross physical mismatch at a higher level as we saw vs Villa reserves (although obv playing LCB, not LWB/LB).

fair.

it’s mentioned that Callum can play WB or no8.  I’d at least like to see him in the no8...but I think it would show us just how much Paterson and Weimann bring in their own unique ways.  Saturday was as a LM in a 541 (Weimann RM, Vyner and Bakinson DM, Callum LM), and he showed up well, but against tired legs on a energy sapping pitch.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Rowe has played over 50 games for us, if he was a glaring weakness then I would have thought he would have been found out by now.

Hunt has played over 450 games in the championship and I really would think if he was a glaring weakness he would have been found out by now.

He's not a glaring weakness, he HAS a glaring weakness, and that is his ability to deal with quick wingers/wide players. You can have qualities that give teams a reason to play you while still having exploitable weaknesses. Jack Hunt is generally excellent with his deliveries, he's a good player, he lacks pace vs wingers, and last season he often targeted and exploited. You can see the way he defended, which was to minimise his weakness to pace, with him playing 10 yards off, and allowing free crosses into the box, so that he wouldn't get roasted for pace.

If he's so good, why did Wednesday get rid of him? Why has no Prem team bought him from us? Because he has flaws, flaws that are obvious, that haven't been exploited this season, that have been in the past hence my surprise at the lack of targeting of him this year. They HAVE been found out, just there are still good qualities he has which make him a valuable player at this level.

14 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

I've been wondering about why Jay isn't getting picked. Hoping that he's just being wrapped in cotton wool after injury. But it's starting to look as though he's not favoured. It's difficult to argue with given how well the team's doing, but I can't help being disappointed, I just love watching him play.

I'm guessing our new manager is making a point by being as consistent in his selection as possible. Unlike the last bloke. Winning games makes this easy, but he'd be justified in doing so even if we hadn't done so well, so long as the performances were there and the players were doing what he was asking of them.

6 minutes ago, Prinny said:

He's not a glaring weakness, he HAS a glaring weakness, and that is his ability to deal with quick wingers/wide players. You can have qualities that give teams a reason to play you while still having exploitable weaknesses. Jack Hunt is generally excellent with his deliveries, he's a good player, he lacks pace vs wingers, and last season he often targeted and exploited. You can see the way he defended, which was to minimise his weakness to pace, with him playing 10 yards off, and allowing free crosses into the box, so that he wouldn't get roasted for pace.

If he's so good, why did Wednesday get rid of him? Why has no Prem team bought him from us? Because he has flaws, flaws that are obvious, that haven't been exploited this season, that have been in the past hence my surprise at the lack of targeting of him this year. They HAVE been found out, just there are still good qualities he has which make him a valuable player at this level.

Jack Hunt was often exposed by who played in front of him as much as he was exploited by our opposition.  Just like Joe Bryan was in the latter stages of 17/18.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

it’s as glaring a weakness as a midfield 3 with Paterson and Weimann in it in many ways.  So far we’ve only played on team who play with a back 4 (Forest 4231) and wingers.  Hunt has been especially good at playing high up, negating how much time he has to spend defending (in our half).  In some respects we are slightly lopsided, Vyner plays further right than Mawson does left, and Rowe plays deeper.

I don’t think it is a coincidence that Weimann plays predominantly left (on Rowe’s side) giving us extra “legs” on that side.  Plus if Rowe’s opposite number pushes onto him, it gives Weimann space to exploit.  Look at how Weimann picked up Wells layoff from a deep Rowe to set up our equalising goal.

Yeah I think Holden has done a good job mitigating our weaknesses, but we've also come up against a bunch of teams who play with wing backs or don't have wingers. That helps too. 

quite possibly.  I’m sure Dasilva will become 1st choice again over the coming games.  I think Hunt is 1st choice on the right.  We’ve seen that even when you have great wingers, if you can’t get them on the ball, or they can’t contribute to play, then they are easily non-existent (Eliasson). On the flip, they can be the gateway to causing nightmares.  This Championship is made up of very different teams, and there will some we excel against and some we don’t.  It might not be those with wingers, although it could be.  One to watch.

It's a varied league, but we've faced none of the top ones so far. And the ones we have, are starting to get to us. Yeah it's something to watch for. But we have Jack's Hunt's previous struggles as a predictor. I want to see us vs a 4-5-1 who try to counter on us. We massively struggled last season vs that. Barnsley kept pressing at 1-0, teams often just sat back on a lead last year and we were rarely to never able to break them down. While obv I don't want to see us be behind, that's an indicator on if we've actually improved or not this year to me. How we deal with a situation that last year we couldn't.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Unfashionable to say, perhaps, but I think he's been an excellent signing. Not least because you know what you're going to get week in, week out - a steady 6 or 7 out of 10 type performance. Quite a few of ours can be 4 or 5 out of 10 one week and then 8 the next. Solid defender, keeps it simple on the ball, takes a decent corner, chips in with the odd, important goal, seems a sound character, good team man. What's not to like?  

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Jack Hunt was often exposed by who played in front of him as much as he was exploited by our opposition.  Just like Joe Bryan was in the latter stages of 17/18.

Or he's not that good, just like Joe Bryan. We all know that a player is in the championship for a reason. Hunt's is obvious, it's the injuries he sustained while at Palace, and that yard of pace which makes the difference. He still has strengths, and we're doing a good job of allowing him to use them while hiding his problems, BUT ALSO his problems haven't been directly got at the same as previously. He was often the target of cross field balls, or of overlaps and we haven't seen it this year. Perhaps it's us stopping that, perhaps we just haven't come across the right teams yet.

Not you of course, but this sparks from people being very sensitive to a player. This is what I see in Jack Hunt, here are his flaws, here is the evidence of watching his games and forming an opinion, a number of appearances doesn't counter that, in fact it reinforces it. Stats without eye test.

11 minutes ago, Prinny said:

You could say exactly the same of any full back or wing back that has ever played for us, including Dasilva who is technically above any other in that position in this club, but he is a weak point in several areas.

You could say that Flint was a big strength for the team in the opposition box, but defending he was a liability and needed the full back close to him which left the right sided full back exposed. Not the fault of the full back who had extra work to do.

All players have weaknesses and strengths at any level and the manager/team will compensate.

I think Hunt is as good as we could expect and Rowe is a player who can step up according to opposition imo - tactically aware and reads the game well, and good for a goal or two.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

You could say exactly the same of any full back or wing back that has ever played for us, including Dasilva who is technically above any other in that position in this club, but he is a weak point in several areas.

You could say that Flint was a big strength for the team in the opposition box, but defending he was a liability and needed the full back close to him which left the right sided full back exposed. Not the fault of the full back who had extra work to do.

All players have weaknesses and strengths at any level and the manager/team will compensate.

I think Hunt is as good as we could expect and Rowe is a player who can step up according to opposition imo - tactically aware and reads the game well, and good for a goal or two.

Yes you can.

And you can also say it's surprising that the opposition haven't compensated to target and exploit those weaknesses.

8 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Or he's not that good, just like Joe Bryan. We all know that a player is in the championship for a reason. Hunt's is obvious, it's the injuries he sustained while at Palace, and that yard of pace which makes the difference. He still has strengths, and we're doing a good job of allowing him to use them while hiding his problems, BUT ALSO his problems haven't been directly got at the same as previously. He was often the target of cross field balls, or of overlaps and we haven't seen it this year. Perhaps it's us stopping that, perhaps we just haven't come across the right teams yet.

Not you of course, but this sparks from people being very sensitive to a player. This is what I see in Jack Hunt, here are his flaws, here is the evidence of watching his games and forming an opinion, a number of appearances doesn't counter that, in fact it reinforces it. Stats without eye test.

If Joe Bryan ‘isn’t that good’ then who would you say has been a much better city left back than him in the last 30 years? 

Just now, And Its Smith said:

If Joe Bryan ‘isn’t that good’ then who would you say has been a much better city left back than him in the last 30 years? 

That's not the same thing is it? My favourite type of mint chocolate is aero mint! I also don't like mint chocolate! Both statements are true.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Of all our players.

Not that they haven't of course.

I don't think they really have with those two. That's my opinion, because we haven't seen the play patterns and systems that would demonstrate they are. 

Compare that to Bakinson. For weeks I've been saying him being pressed will cause us issues! His worst performance was when Izzy Brown pressed him! UNTIL the weekend, where he really struggled, then we made some changes and came through it. So he wasn't targeted that much, then absolutely was, and came through it, evidence that he can.

So where's the evidence for Hunt and Rowe dealing with the play patterns that I think will cause them issues? Hasn't happened yet, because we haven't seen it, or teams try to do that. Maybe it'll be fine, we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

That's not the same thing is it? My favourite type of mint chocolate is aero mint! I also don't like mint chocolate! Both statements are true.

I don't think they really have with those two. That's my opinion, because we haven't seen the play patterns and systems that would demonstrate they are. 

Compare that to Bakinson. For weeks I've been saying him being pressed will cause us issues! His worst performance was when Izzy Brown pressed him! UNTIL the weekend, where he really struggled, then we made some changes and came through it. So he wasn't targeted that much, then absolutely was, and came through it, evidence that he can.

So where's the evidence for Hunt and Rowe dealing with the play patterns that I think will cause them issues? Hasn't happened yet, because we haven't seen it, or teams try to do that. Maybe it'll be fine, we'll see.

Slagging off Hunt, Bryan AND mint chocolate! Gone too far mate 

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think Joe also began to lose interest in latter part of 17/18. I believe that following his performance against Man utd he would be fighting off demands from other teams in the January window. For the rest of the season he gave the impression that he wasn't that bothered.

Archived