IGNORED

Well......

BCFC1512

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Cosy club. Giving the managers job to a coach who the players are matey with rarely ends well.

Interesting point - I thought I saw a bit of this in some of the training videos, but wasn’t sure. 

I remember the quotes before/when he got the job about him being popular with the players and I raised my eyebrows slightly at the time. 

7 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Mark Ashton, Jon Lansdown . Their choice 

And who hired Ashton?

Bucks stops with SL.

Once again this has his possessive 'do what I say new manager' fingerprints all over it - hence the guy who sucked up to LJ for 4 years and then claimed he was totally opposed to what LJ was doing, whilst knifing JMac at the same time.

And claiming he was delighted to have his assistants who, when messing up in an interview admitted he had never hear dof them up until 3 days before he was confirmed in post.

SL once again, insists on his rules or he takes his bat and ball home.

As ever it will be until he sells up (not long now as AV is getting approved) and buggers off.

19 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

And who hired Ashton?

Bucks stops with SL.

Once again this has his possessive 'do what I say new manager' fingerprints all over it - hence the guy who sucked up to LJ for 4 years and then claimed he was totally opposed to what LJ was doing, whilst knifing JMac at the same time.

And claiming he was delighted to have his assistants who, when messing up in an interview admitted he had never hear dof them up until 3 days before he was confirmed in post.

SL once again, insists on his rules or he takes his bat and ball home.

As ever it will be until he sells up (not long now as AV is getting approved) and buggers off.

The fact that Simpson was his manager at Shewsbury might poo-poo your claim.  Holden has admitted he spoke to Simpson about coming on board if he got the job.  The Downing appointment is a bit more hazy.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Cosy club. Giving the managers job to a coach who the players are matey with rarely ends well.

We learned today that the players like the fact that training is less intense. The appropriate comparison is therefore with Millen; the players wanted him to get the job too as he gave them an easier time than GJ. 

If you are a player with no ambition and want a nice lifestyle (or if you are an older player looking to top up your pension) with no real pressure City is the club for you.

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

51 appearances in four years 

in his last two years he made 12 and 14 appearances including quite a few off the bench 

I’m not so sure he would have been pushing at the top of anyone’s targets , bearing in mind he will be on decent money here 

I think if we’d had any reasonable offer we would have moved him on 

It was 51 in 3 seasons but your general point is spot on.

Thing is though, what you sometimes have to do is make some use of a player even if you don’t particularly rate him.

No way does every manager get the time to sign all their squad these days & Nagy is someone who has shown by being a first pick for Hungary that there is something there.

Even giving him 25 minutes every now & then would allow Holden to rest those he really rates.

Everyone is losing out by him doing this at present, the likes of Paterson are being flogged to death playing every game & we have someone who must think he is only in the 18 because there is no one else.

33 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thing is though, what you sometimes have to do is make some use of a player even if you don’t particularly rate him.

No way does every manager get the time to sign all their squad these days & Nagy is someone who has shown by being a first pick for Hungary that there is something there.

Even giving him 25 minutes every now & then would allow Holden to rest those he really rates.

Everyone is losing out by him doing this at present, the likes of Paterson are being flogged to death playing every game & we have someone who must think he is only in the 18 because there is no one else.

Agree Graham 

Im not sold on the vibe from Nagy to date , and unconvinced he’s suited to , or fancies , the rigours of the Championship

However he clearly has some attributes and technical ability and your point is very valid.

it’s a strange one

Holden doesn’t strike me as somebody who would dismiss any Nagy attributes , and shoot himself in the foot , but there’s clearly something he doesn’t rate / fancy

What I hear from Holden I would surmise that his main turn off would be players who arn’t at it or don’t have the desire he’s looking for

maybe it’s along those lines-  just a gut feeling  

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The fact that Simpson was his manager at Shewsbury might poo-poo your claim.  Holden has admitted he spoke to Simpson about coming on board if he got the job.  The Downing appointment is a bit more hazy.

So Simpson is a mate of Dean's and Downing is a mate of Simpson's. It's how football works, jobs for the boys.

No rigorous 5 week recruitment process to fill such important roles then.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

So Simpson is a mate of Dean's and Downing is a mate of Simpson's. It's how football works, jobs for the boys.

No rigorous 5 week recruitment process to fill such important roles then.

Of course....but they have pedigree as coaches don’t they?

Would rather the head-coach appointed coaches he feels he can work with than MA or JL appoint them.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Of course....but they have pedigree as coaches don’t they?

Would rather the head-coach appointed coaches he feels he can work with than MA or JL appoint them.

Sure, I don't question their credentials, though time will tell how good they, and Dean, are. But how do we know there weren't better, if less well known, candidates if there isn't any recruitment process?

But I was really making a more general point about football, that employing your mates is the usual practice but not necessarily the best practice.

If DH is so unwilling to play HNM or Nagy why on earth did we let Korey Smith leave, particularly as JW was injured pretty much when he arrived and Liam Walsh the same. KS is playing pretty much all the time in a good Swansea team so clearly still has ability. 

Letting him go / not offering a new contract seems like bad business now

15 hours ago, GrahamC said:

To be fair, odowda gets plenty of time for ireland too, if you are a hungarian footballer playing in q decent Western European league, you will probably be called up

Hopefully Norwich was a one off?

No backbone in defence, no aggression in midfield, they couldn’t fight there way out of a paper bag. Piss poor v Norwich. This div is there for the taking this season IMO but we are/always will be a selling club - run by Ashton & J Lansdown - nuff said.

On 31/10/2020 at 15:12, Mr Popodopolous said:

I appreciate injuries are a significant issue and I don't think we played so badly today BUT can someone even with the injuries explain eg the midfield?

Maybe- right to left.

Bakinson Nagy Brunt

Or

Bakinson Nagy Paterson 

As a 3, O'Dowda-Bakinson-Brunt seems questionable. Hell even Massengo with his age and energy could disrupt a bit.

I'd love to know why Nagy is so inept or considered as such given strong performances away to decent 2nd tier International sides in Russia, Serbia, Turkey! Seems a bit unusual.

Selection is becoming a bit of a puzzle under DH, just like it was under LJ for several seasons.

I had hoped things would be more straightforward and transparent under the new manager, but it seems not and the perennial intrigue over the exclusion of certain players, and the seeming undropablity of others, persists.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Selection is becoming a bit of a puzzle under DH, just like it was under LJ for several seasons.

I think selection has been pretty clear....keep the same players over the early games and now they’re coming thick and fast start to rotate and rest game to game.

I had hoped things would be more straightforward and transparent under the new manager, but it seems not and the perennial intrigue over the exclusion of certain players, and the seeming undropablity of others, persists.

like most managers, their choice of players differs from ours.  But I think his selection policy has been fairly consistent.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

I was following the line of the post I quoted that Nagy's lack of opportunities has now become puzzling.

I would add Massengo, who I also think should have featured at some stage yesterday.

I accept, of course, your point that DH's choices would differ from ours, but in the circumstances I still find these 2 being banished to the periphery very odd.

10 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was following the line of the post I quoted that Nagy's lack of opportunities has now become puzzling.

I would add Massengo, who I also think should have featured at some stage yesterday.

I accept, of course, your point that DH's choices would differ from ours, but in the circumstances I still find these 2 being banished to the periphery very odd.

I agree totally.  I think it’s criminal neither Nagy or Massengo have not made it onto the pitch in the last two games.

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I also find it extremely odd. As Graham said, there’s the opportunity to rest the legs of players he does rate by using Nagy and Massengo off the bench. That was patently obvious after an hour at Bournemouth and yet he thinks it’s bad luck we didn’t get anything from that game. 

What concerns me and his assistants didn’t learn from that Bournemouth game. We failed to press or even compete in the middle of the park yesterday. I’m not saying Nagy or Massengo would’ve been the difference but at least it would’ve afforded others a breather. 

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It always has been a cost club. Was kind of hoping we may have moved away from this 

Doesn't bode well for me either when a manager chats about players like there his mates to.

'Pato'

'Bakes'

On 31/10/2020 at 18:49, Sheltons Army said:

Not so sure

Think you over egg his ‘pedigree’ to date

At Serie A level perhaps, but his strong performances vs decent international sides this season suggests he's quite reasonable in the right setup.

Good performances in Turkey, Serbia, Russia. His defensive numbers were reasonable and needed to be as Hungary seemed to quite often be on the back foot yet his ball retention was also decent, strong in fact certainly in two of them.

Before you say "Blah blah, crap Leagues etc" these are sides with players assorted across top 5-6 Leagues and Russia, Turkey are decent 2nd tier Leagues.

Thing about Nagy though is that if not in a true central 3, he can certainly lose some effectiveness.

21 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Hopefully Norwich was a one off?

No backbone in defence, no aggression in midfield, they couldn’t fight there way out of a paper bag. Piss poor v Norwich. This div is there for the taking this season IMO but we are/always will be a selling club - run by Ashton & J Lansdown - nuff said.

Seems a bit harsh, I'll be honest and say I missed the first 20 mins but didn't seem so bad thereafter IMO. From what I saw anyway.

My big bugbear as well as the ridiculous penalty by Wells, was conceding the third right on halftime, that was a blow from which we didn't recover. Conceding early in the half and right on halftime, hopefully a one off!

Our goal was quite well worked too, at least two of theirs were very easy. Too easy. Simple long pass to Pukki for 1st and 2nd, well taken of course.

I think Norwich have a better side than us, especially given all the injuries we have but the fact that at least two of their goals were very avoidable leaves a sour taste. We missed some big chances though...

Archived