IGNORED

The Formula One Thread

Tipps69

I wonder if we would ever get to see the throttle and brake telemetry for Max during the collision? That would be an eye opener.

Great entertainment today regardless.

EDIT, Max gets a pointless additional 10 second penalty and 2 penalty points. Nothing changes at all.

Edited by Ska Junkie

36 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I wonder if we would ever get to see the throttle and brake telemetry for Max during the collision? That would be an eye opener.

Great entertainment today regardless.

EDIT, Max gets a pointless additional 10 second penalty and 2 penalty points. Nothing changes at all.

That's good though, I don't want this close season defined by a stewards decision that makes the last race a damp squib. We know now next weekend is just an almighty show down between these two and I think today was Max letting the pressure get to him a little.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What rules are there in place to actually stop this happening? 

12 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

None, see Schumacher vs Hill and later Villeneuve

You'd hope the stewards/officials will  be watching very closely anytime they are close.

Any contact that causes one or the other to lose points/places could become irrelevant if the other is docked points for causing the issue.

Max is a dick though so nothing would surprise me...

1 hour ago, Super said:

Anyone know what time the race is next sunday?

1pm 

30 minutes ago, TomF said:

Exactly why should have given him a pen that lost a place. I reckon Mercedes will be appealing that it should be greater.  Give him 20 secs he falls to 3rd and loses 3 points.  As such he can win it but not if he wipes Lewis out - he could only play fair 

They have to be seen to be consistent and so he got the standard penalty for causing a collision.

Besides F1 now has the race it wants on Sunday with both drivers being on the same points. I never bought that they wanted Max to win as the scenario they’ve got is more valuable for increasing global exposure and the worldwide tv audience 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, grifty said:

That's good though, I don't want this close season defined by a stewards decision that makes the last race a damp squib. We know now next weekend is just an almighty show down between these two and I think today was Max letting the pressure get to him a little.

You just know Mercedes will play on that as well. 

I was a little disappointed with Christian Horner to be fair, for the same reasons.

Let's be honest here, Max tried to take Lewis out and I would be at all shocked if he didn't try the same next week.

Fascinating viewing, all that said.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Let's be honest here, Max tried to take Lewis out and I would be at all shocked if he didn't try the same next week.

Of course he will try and take him out as its his best chance of winning. If he does win by making Hamilton crash it will be very interesting what punishment he is given as the precedent is 1997. If you look at what Schumacher did to get disqualified it is quite timid compared to what Verstappen has been doing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taz said:

You'd hope the stewards/officials will  be watching very closely anytime they are close.

Any contact that causes one or the other to lose points/places could become irrelevant if the other is docked points for causing the issue.

Max is a dick though so nothing would surprise me...

The rules don’t allow for world championship points to be docked. The only penalties available for racing incidents are time penalties or DQ. If Max gets close to Lewis next weekend, expect some sort of collision  

13 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Max was asked to give the place back ‘strategically’ . Telemetry shows a 69 bar brake pressure pulling 2.4G …Stewards judged as erratic…and resulted in the 10 second time penalty and 2 points on his license.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Max was asked to give the place back ‘strategically’ . Telemetry shows a 69 bar brake pressure pulling 2.4G …Stewards judged as erratic…and resulted in the 10 second time penalty and 2 points on his license.

So he brake checked Hamilton then? Naughty Max.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TomF said:

Had to go back and look at that as not watched in ages.  My god in comparison to what we've seen this year its mild!   Also Jacques Villeneuve managed to carry on without issue!  At the time I remember thinking it was probably a belated punishment for what he did with Hill - which was far worse IMO

When you see that then they had the occasional.wide kerb and the rest was gravel "most" of the drivers managed to stay on the track!

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

Had to go back and look at that as not watched in ages.  My god in comparison to what we've seen this year its mild!   Also Jacques Villeneuve managed to carry on without issue!  At the time I remember thinking it was probably a belated punishment for what he did with Hill - which was far worse IMO

Yeah i had to look it up. Incredibly mild bump.

As it stands Verstappen can just take Hamilton out. Points deduction, time penalties even disqualification from the race wont mean shit - he will pick up the title so FIA needs to send strong messages this week that any deliberate crashes will result in disqualification from the drivers race.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Not sure that was Verstappens fault, Hamilton didn’t know, a communication mess.

It was a communication mess. Hamilton should been informed Max is giving back the place just before Max was told to, both drivers would have been ready and the transaction smooth, or as smooth as it could be with DRS in play.  Instead they told Max and Hamilton didn’t know as you said which caused the mess. 

I don’t think Max is blameless, he was just clever. This is what pissed Toto off and led him to smashing his headphones. They were outsmarted. 

19 hours ago, RedM said:

It was a communication mess. Hamilton should been informed Max is giving back the place just before Max was told to, both drivers would have been ready and the transaction smooth, or as smooth as it could be with DRS in play.  Instead they told Max and Hamilton didn’t know as you said which caused the mess. 

I don’t think Max is blameless, he was just clever. This is what pissed Toto off and led him to smashing his headphones. They were outsmarted. 

It seems it was more about getting to the drs zone second. Maybe they need to consider a rule for such a eventuality 

22 hours ago, RedM said:

It didn’t help that Max was slowing on the racing line. They need a rule that if you are  instructed to hand track position  back you need to do it by leaving the racing line so you don’t retain an advantage. 

• Like 1