IGNORED

England v Iceland

Super

6 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

If only we had a CB and DMF - we’d be best in world I think. And replace Pickford obviously. 

The jury is still out for me. Granted we have some good players coming through and we are definitely in the top say 10 or 12 teams in the world but do we have that nerve and guile that is needed at the business end of a tournament? Only time will tell if we have learnt from losing to Croatia.. I suppose the big challenge is to just make sure we get back to a semi final next summer!

28 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

The quartet didn't together play against Belgium so it would have been difficult.

I don’t know who played against Belgium and don’t really care. Time and again, whenever we play anyone half tidy we get turned over. Never mind perhaps Southgate will turn us into decent side?

10 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

In what way? - he runs about and shouts and points a lot, occasionally intercepts and passes sideways or backwards.  If he didn't play for Liverpool he'd be seen as a very average player and nowhere near the England team.

He certainly brings more than Declan Rice. Maybe I'm missing something where Rice is concerned but I just don't get why he's an international. Educate me please someone?

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He certainly brings more than Declan Rice. Maybe I'm missing something where Rice is concerned but I just don't get why he's an international. Educate me please someone?

I agree about Rice as well - I don't get the fan club for him but he played OK yesterday.  

2 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

I agree about Rice as well - I don't get the fan club for him but he played OK yesterday.  

Agreed and his stats are excellent but I don't see him in that side, yet. He looked like a liability against the Belgians IMHO. No point being good against the lesser sides (with all respect to Iceland) if you can't do it against the big boys.

I'm sure he's an excellent player and is still very young but England standard? I'm not so sure.

25 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

In what way? - he runs about and shouts and points a lot, occasionally intercepts and passes sideways or backwards.  If he didn't play for Liverpool he'd be seen as a very average player and nowhere near the England team.

You should let Klopp know how bad he is because it’s obviously going over his head!!

1 hour ago, Nongazeuse said:

Haha we’re all entitled to our opinion, however absurd they are!   You know better than Klopp I guess.  

Even if you cannot see how good he is it’s hard to ignore people like Klopp and Southgates view on him along with how he was in last seasons Prem team of the season and been recognised in UEFA awards along with captaining his team to major honours.

1 hour ago, swanker said:

I don’t know who played against Belgium and don’t really care. Time and again, whenever we play anyone half tidy we get turned over. Never mind perhaps Southgate will turn us into decent side?

Well it's very easy to sit there and say something critical without having the facts at hand, and not even having watched by the sounds of it!

Also 'whenever we play anyone half tidy we get turned over' simply isn't true.

Under Southgate alone, we've beaten Belgium (In October - so a very short memory it seems), Croatia, Spain, Netherlands, and also drawn with Germany, Brazil and Italy.

England are half decent - but people seem to revel in criticising the team for some reason - often people who haven't even bothered to watch or have forgotten recent success!

36 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Haha we’re all entitled to our opinion, however absurd they are!   You know better than Klopp I guess.  

Even if you cannot see how good he is it’s hard to ignore people like Klopp and Southgates view on him along with how he was in last seasons Prem team of the season and been recognised in UEFA awards along with captaining his team to major honours.

He's fine at Liverpool given that the rest of the team is full of creativity and flair and he's a decent captain. To me he's just an upgraded Cole Skuse.  Does an OK job in midfield but that's it.  The honours are just because of the love-in from armchair scousers.  

2 hours ago, swanker said:

We beat Belgium recently (the no.1 ranked side) and were a bit unlucky to lose 2-0 in the return game. I can definitely see progress. and it isn't fair to say we lose to anyone half tidy. We beat Spain and Croatia last year. 

As I said before add a WC CB and DMF and this time will win things. Whether they will come through is another thing.

1 minute ago, Nongazeuse said:

He's fine at Liverpool given that the rest of the team is full of creativity and flair and he's a decent captain. To me he's just an upgraded Cole Skuse.  Does an OK job in midfield but that's it.  The honours are just because of the love-in from armchair scousers.  

How do those creative and flair players actually get on the ball in the first place?  Someone has to win it or make the opposition lose the ball.

Henderson is one of the key players in Liverpool (and England’s) team who helps them gain possession.

His ability on the ball in underrated....most people wanted him to be Steven Gerrard mk2.  Despite starting at Sunderland as an attack minded midfielder he was of a very different ilk to Gerrard.  He enables that cycle of passing that allows the full-backs to bomb, to move the ball from one side of the pitch to create space or to create overloads.

I’m perfectly confident that if Henderson was asked to be more expansive he could be...he’s playing to a team discipline.  He isn’t Gerrard but he’s a technically proficient midfielder and one of the best at what he does in the PL.  it is not him being dragged up by Liverpool, it’s him helping Liverpool be better.  Without him they aren’t quite the same.

Why is it only flair players are allowed to be classed as good? ??‍♂️

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

How do those creative and flair players actually get on the ball in the first place?  Someone has to win it or make the opposition lose the ball.

Henderson is one of the key players in Liverpool (and England’s) team who helps them gain possession.

His ability on the ball in underrated....most people wanted him to be Steven Gerrard mk2.  Despite starting at Sunderland as an attack minded midfielder he was of a very different ilk to Gerrard.  He enables that cycle of passing that allows the full-backs to bomb, to move the ball from one side of the pitch to create space or to create overloads.

I’m perfectly confident that if Henderson was asked to be more expansive he could be...he’s playing to a team discipline.  He isn’t Gerrard but he’s a technically proficient midfielder and one of the best at what he does in the PL.  it is not him being dragged up by Liverpool, it’s him helping Liverpool be better.  Without him they aren’t quite the same.

I would suggest that any of the top clubs in Europe would take Jordan Henderson, if offered at a reasonable (ie not stupid) price, without even having to think about it.

Liverpool would simply replace Henderson if he was doing an “ok” job because they can afford a lot better than that. Either that or perhaps a bloke who has won the Champions League and Premiership as a Manager knows less about football than some punter on here.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Presumably the players who played against him and voted him in thought he was better than “ok” against them then? What do they know?

1 hour ago, Nongazeuse said:

I think this says more about your ability to identify top players than it does about Jordan Henderson’s ability as a footballer. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think there are fans that can spot a top striker or winger a lot easier than a midfielder.  

If a top manager picks certain players in every single massive game they have then that indicates a lot. 

2 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Well it's very easy to sit there and say something critical without having the facts at hand, and not even having watched by the sounds of it!

Also 'whenever we play anyone half tidy we get turned over' simply isn't true.

Under Southgate alone, we've beaten Belgium (In October - so a very short memory it seems), Croatia, Spain, Netherlands, and also drawn with Germany, Brazil and Italy.

England are half decent - but people seem to revel in criticising the team for some reason - often people who haven't even bothered to watch or have forgotten recent success!

We’ll see when it comes to the games that matter. Obviously, in Southgate you trust!

4 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

This is what I love about football fans.

Klopp loves him, he’s won the Premier League and the Champions League, made the team of the year and rated by his peers.

But no, he’s shit obviously ? 

59 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Klopp loves him, he’s won the Premier League and the Champions League, made the team of the year and rated by his peers.

Yep, just because he doesn't score many goals he's clearly not good enough. "Nongazeuse" from OTIB said so. Some of the football opinions you read on here amaze me.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yep, just because he doesn't score many goals he's clearly not good enough. "Nongazeuse" from OTIB said so. Some of the football opinions you read on here amaze me.

Nowadays i think there is a lot of watching games whilst doing other things. People glance up and see one misplaced pass and then say that player had a bad game!

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

That is why they are fans and not managers!!

No fan would pay money to watch the likes of Henderson, Matic, Kante or Makelele

but every manager and ten other team mates want and need this type of player

8 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

That is why they are fans and not managers!!

No fan would pay money to watch the likes of Henderson, Matic, Kante or Makelele

but every manager and ten other team mates want and need this type of player

Without the likes of Kante, Makelele, Henderson then they players worth paying money for couldn't shine.

You wouldn't have a team of 11 Lee Trundle's because it just wouldn't work.

Archived