IGNORED

On target for 81 points and promotion ?

Major Isewater

A third of the way through the season and if we keep our points rate up we will end up with 81 points thus safely avoiding relegation.

We all know that football doesn’t work exactly like that but there is something special happening at the club. If disliked managers ‘ lose the dressing room’ then our coaching team have a 5 metre high flashing neon sign that reads ‘ dressing room ‘above it.

All the bollocks from the previous incumbent about ‘ love’ and ‘cuddling players ‘ was overdone but that spirit is there for all to see. Everyone is pulling in the same direction and skill alone is not enough to win promotion.

We have spirit and daring do in buckets ( incontinentia) and the signs are very encouraging.

The coaching staff and behind the scenes teams appear to have a grip on what is required and our in game management is intelligent and mostly effective.

The future looks bright. 

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You see... I can’t help but see the warning signs. 

Results - good

Performances - horrendous 

We’ll be back down to earth with a bump if things don’t pick up. 

Last night the second half was far from horrendous.  We weren’t horrendous against Watford or Cardiff either in recent games.  

19 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Results - good

You make a good point, it’s not been great to watch most games but consistently there are patches of quality & evidence of the grit/determination that has been missing in recent seasons to give us some measured optimism.

With a fully fit squad it could be an interesting season.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Results - good

I agree for the most part. Just feels, to me anyway, that there is more to come. So many good players due back from injury in the next month. Maybe some movement in January to strengthen. We feel much more stable defensively than I can remember. 433 seems to have promise. I wouldn’t bet on us at this moment to be a playoff team but hard to see us getting worse as the season goes on if the injured players come back and contribute like they can. 

Considering injuries, COVID lockdowns and everything, we are doing bloody well. The football lately has been practical and pragmatic, Holden has obviously decided that after the Kalas injury we needed to make sure we stay in games. The last few games have seen us not be too expansive first half, and it's pretty much worked, though not a pretty watch. Last night the return of Kalas and Bakinson was important, give us a few more options , Mariappa having a steady game too. If we ever see Williams and Walsh, Mawson and Baker that would give us a massive boost, but until then we need to stay in touch and then see where we can go.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Results - good

Performances aren't horrendous, at all..! 

They aren't 1970's Brazil, granted, but they full of effort, desire, reasonable ruthless and, so far, very productive..! 

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Results - good

Spot on, although there is a rare togetherness within this squad. That will only take us so far, though, especially if Bentley loses form or gets injured. 

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Results - good

Have to agree. We got lucky last night.

I think they key point for me is that last night was the first night we looked defensively frail apart from the first half v Norwich. The only way we've looked like we concede in other games is from our own mistakes (poor clearances, bad passes/control around our own area). As long as we can keep up being defensively sound, we'll be there or thereabouts.

For the last 25 years, I don't really remember us having a team that could grind out results like this. Those late 1-0 wins under GJ are probably the closest.

I’ve been critical of the football being served up but last night was definitely better - second half anyway.  We were very lucky that Wells was on our side and not theirs as the chances they missed were incredible,  but you play what’s in front of you and any away win is a great result. To me we don’t look anywhere near good enough for promotion at the moment but we’ve played a decent number of games now so it’s a good sample size and we deserve to be where we are - dull football or not. I don’t prescribe to this notion that the football will improve immeasurably once Walsh and Williams return either as they are not the creative sparks that some claim them to be imho,  but it certainly should help the results continue.  

Just now, JollyestOli said:

We were discussing performance. It will catch up with us, as it always does.

Maybe. Performances could be more dominating, but that's difficult when many of your best ball retainers our out of the team. 

The way we have adapted and the application shown by those involved has been very impressive. 

I get as much pleasure out of us grinding out a win by showing such commitment, whilst players take one in the face, bollocks and anywhere else whilst putting their bodies on the line, for the cause, as I do from watching champagne football like we saw against Northampton. 

I think people forget how competitive this division is. We aren't going to sweep teams aside. Not many have things all their own way. 

I don't think we are as good as the best 3/4 teams in this division, but we are (currently) very capable of achieving the top 6, if not out battling some of those "better" sides to sneak above them. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Maybe. Performances could be more dominating, but that's difficult when many of your best ball retainers our out of the team. 

The way we have adapted and the application shown by those involved has been very impressive. 

I get as much pleasure out of us grinding out a win by showing such commitment, whilst players take one in the face, bollocks and anywhere else whilst putting their bodies on the line, for the cause, as I do from watching champagne football like we saw against Northampton. 

I think people forget how competitive this division is. We aren't going to sweep teams aside. Not many have things all their own way. 

I don't think we are as good as the best 3/4 teams in this division, but we are (currently) very capable of achieving the top 6, if not out battling some of those "better" sides to sneak above them. 

That Northampton performance seems miles off at the moment. At least we're capable though I suppose.

1 minute ago, JollyestOli said:

That Northampton performance seems miles off at the moment. At least we're capable though I suppose.

You do realise that most of our games are against competitive championship teams, not League 1 struggles, yeah..? 

That is why very few teams at this level steam roller others with champagne football. 

There are 11 players on the opposing side that are trying to stop them..! 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

You do realise that most of our games are against competitive championship teams, not League 1 struggles, yeah..? 

That is why very few teams at this level steam roller others with champagne football. 

There are 11 players on the opposing side that are trying to stop them..! 

Good spot mate, you should become an analyst. 

1 minute ago, JollyestOli said:

You were the one that brought it up :laugh:

To demonstrate why its possible against them but not so much against teams at our level. 

You are the one who's unhappy about our winning and being 3rd in the league. 

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

To demonstrate why its possible against them but not so much against teams at our level. 

You are the one who's unhappy about our winning and being 3rd in the league. 

Not unhappy about position, but I'm not daft enough to think it'll last playing as we are. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Results - good

But isn't that football?

We all know it is all about results and not how you play

Archived