IGNORED

Mariappa

GrahamC

Not seen anyone start a thread on him but I thought he had a steady debut last night considering it was his first game since July when he came on as a sub at Arsenal (!).

His first touch was decent, he has some leap on him & whilst he stayed narrow & was conservative with his passing, he looked a useful addition to me, especially as he covers both RB & CB.

One little bit of confusion late on when he & Vyner went for the same ball & let Bonne in, but with so many games coming up he looks an asset who will improve with more match time.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not seen anyone start a thread on him but I thought he had a steady debut last night considering it was his first game since July when he came on as a sub at Arsenal (!).

His first touch was decent, he has some leap on him & whilst he stayed narrow & was conservative with his passing, he looked a useful addition to me, especially as he covers both RB & CB.

One little bit of confusion late on when he & Vyner went for the same ball & let Bonne in, but with so many games coming up he looks an asset who will improve with more match time.

Looked decent to me. Having a more defensive right back allowed Vyner to step out more often, contributing to the first goal.

1 hour ago, RobArnold10 said:

Looked a bit out of place going forward I felt, some poor passes first half, but for a guy who’s not played in ages that was to be expected. Everything else was generally solid. 

He’s not Premier League quality on the ball , so something to consider - not his ‘strength’

I thought he’d come in at CB with Zak moving over , but it says a lot about Zaks performances this season that DH elected to keep him alongside TK , and who can argue 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He’s not Premier League quality on the ball , so something to consider - not his ‘strength’

Surely you are not basing that on just last nights game?

It'll take him a number of games to get back up to speed, then we will see his strengths

Certainly did nothing wrong against QPR

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surely you are not basing that on just last nights game?

It'll take him a number of games to get back up to speed, then we will see his strengths

Certainly did nothing wrong against QPR

No Phants

On his time at Watford - All I’m pointing out that is that on the ball is not his strongest suit , so don’t expect Trent Alexander Arnold there (He did fine last night)

He’s a  physical athlete and a good defender , and competitor , with a very good attitude - that’s his strong suits 

I wasn’t trying to be critical of him at all , and think he’s a sensible pick up

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I thought he’d come in at CB with Zak moving over , but it says a lot about Zaks performances this season that DH elected to keep him alongside TK , and who can argue 

No, he’s what I’d call a solid old-skool RB (of course he can play CB too), where defending is his strong suit.  But he’s fine on the ball, just not what you’d call a “baller”.

When Robinstv had him lined up alongside Kalas I was surprised.  To me that seemed like two changes, Vyner and Kalas to build a new partnership and then Vyner adapting to going back to RB.

So I was really pleased when I saw Mariappa at RB.  1) easier to settle in at RB, 2) allows Vyner and Kalas to continue building their partnership.  They seem to be getting better as a pair (ignoring Kalas switching off from Dickie’s goal).

A steady debut where we saw the benefits of a defender that likes defending.  Takes pressure off of Hunt playing every game.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, he’s what I’d call a solid old-skool RB (of course he can play CB too), where defending is his strong suit.  But he’s fine on the ball, just not what you’d call a “baller”.

When Robinstv had him lined up alongside Kalas I was surprised.  To me that seemed like two changes, Vyner and Kalas to build a new partnership and then Vyner adapting to going back to RB.

So I was really pleased when I saw Mariappa at RB.  1) easier to settle in at RB, 2) allows Vyner and Kalas to continue building their partnership.  They seem to be getting better as a pair (ignoring Kalas switching off from Dickie’s goal).

A steady debut where we saw the benefits of a defender that likes defending.  Takes pressure off of Hunt playing every game.

Agree with all that Dave (Very sensible not to disrupt CBS as they’ve started to gel) and Ive just posted on COD thread about DH and the coaches having and showing faith in players

The confidence for Zak last night to maintain his role , over a Ex Prem CB and International , is great ,

and deserved 

46 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

There was only one scare where Mariappa and Vyner jumped for same ball and missed it, allowing their forward on goal who luckily missed a sitter.

Did okay though considering it’s his first game.

To be fair it was awful defending and was very fortunate not to cost us.....fine lines and all that.

9 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

He was/is a decent no nonsense defender. Just what we need. 

I was, as was Dean Holden, much more concerned about Jay DeSilva.

JD is an excellent player but last night their winger had him on toast until the very good Tommy Rowe came in. 

I thought their winger (Eze was it?) worked out very quickly that he could physically 'boss' Jay. Tommy Rowe is physically bigger. Not a great deal JD can do about that in all honesty.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I thought their winger (Eze was it?) worked out very quickly that he could physically 'boss' Jay. Tommy Rowe is physically bigger. Not a great deal JD can do about that in all honesty.

I have never seen JD dominated like that! To be frank it wasn't all about weight. He was out paced and out played. Players adapt and JD is good enough to adapt, as, "not a great deal I could do, boss" is not an excuse the player would make himself now or moving forward.

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I have never seen JD dominated like that! To be frank it wasn't all about weight. He was out paced and out played. Players adapt and JD is good enough to adapt, as, "not a great deal I could do, boss" is not an excuse the player would make himself now or moving forward.

osayi samuel best right winger in the championship in my book......dasilva aint no mug but last night he was up against it

12 hours ago, steveybadger said:

Must admit I thought he was more a centre back and Vyner would be a RB. 

This.

Can only asume as Vyner has been in such good form and confortable, Deano took the risk playing Adrian wide.

Did well i thought considering. Basically played a Bailey-esque role circa the cup run.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

This.

Can only asume as Vyner has been in such good form and confortable, Deano took the risk playing Adrian wide.

Did well i thought considering. Basically paid a Bailey-esque role circa the cup run.

Transfermarkt website has position data for his last 197 games....of which 58 were right back....personally I think it was less of a risk playing him RB than CB, even more so because it meant Vyner and Kalas could continue their partnership.  Always think it’s hard for a CB to come straight in.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

This.

Did well i thought considering. Basically played a Bailey-esque role circa the cup run.

It's not his first natural position but Mariappa played RB under Javi Gracia at Watford more than a few times (and possibly afterwards too) and was generally as you'd expect, solid defensively without offering much going forward.

On 02/12/2020 at 11:14, Lew-T said:

There was only one scare where Mariappa and Vyner jumped for same ball and missed it, allowing their forward on goal who luckily missed a sitter.

Did okay though considering it’s his first game.

I think Mariappa saw Vyner and was a bit confused which one he was. They do look a bit similar.

Easy to forget that was his first game. 

Archived