IGNORED

Mawson back in Bristol??

Chessels Chick

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Does he even get in the side right now? Vyner superb. Kalas best defender we have for me. Not a bad problem to have.

It gives us an option to rest & rotate! He could go into centre-half while Vyner can go into right back. Hunt then gets a rest, Hunt comes in & it allows for Vyner to get a rest & then Vyner can come in to allow Hunt, Mawson or Kalas to have a rest. And that’s assuming we have no more injuries.

It allows us to have options.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah but do we want to go 3 at the back. 2nd half we looked so well balanced in a 4231/442 or whatever system we want to call it

I wouldn't personally but then I think we cocked up in the summer by letting Eliasson go and not signing any wingers if we had any plans to play 4-3-3, so it's a gamble.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah but do we want to go 3 at the back. 2nd half we looked so well balanced in a 4231/442 or whatever system we want to call it

I wonder if we might be changing it up as well. I think initially they wanted to play 3-5-2 to get the 4 and two 8's or two 4's and an 8 in central midfield, but Semenyo has given us the option of playing 4-3-3 with a forward who is happy playing wide. I think we looked really effective (eventually) in that structure.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, Chessels Chick said:

Pretty sure I spotted him earlier walking along Ashton Road with a takeaway coffee! Could mean he'll be back sooner than hoped...

Pretty sure it was reported he would be back with us from December, but would still be weeks away from playing

Am sure the New Year was even mentioned?

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Pretty sure it was reported he would be back with us from December, but would still be weeks away from playing

Am sure the New Year was even mentioned?

Going by our recent history surrounding timescales, we should see Mawson back in April sometime then

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think the system changed a bit 2nd half. Much prefer the look of 2 in front of the defence.

Thing is with centre backs I don't think they usually need rotating. They don't run like most other positions do.

Mawson back from another very bad injury. He's not our player either. Had a dodgy season last season according to Fulham fans. 

He was good for us, but imo not any better than Vyner the other side. By that point if Kalas and Vyner are still the partnership and they have had all that experience alongside each other and are looking good. I really don't see a reason to change it. 

A lot of ifs there of course. But as things are if Mawson returned now then he's back up for me if we go 4 at the back.

Seriously? So by that logic strikers don’t need rotating either because they just stand up front & kick the ball in the bet)

So you’d rather just keep playing Kalas, Vyner & Moore between them with no real cover for injuries or suspensions? How many injuries has Kalas had so far this season? Two is it? And with the prospect of someone catching the virus again? So by this logic we could get rid of Baker, Mawson, Diedhiou & one of Wells, Martin or Semenyo or maybe two of them depending on what formation we decide on & then just reinvest the money available on midfielders & full-backs because they are the only positions that run?!?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I wonder if we might be changing it up as well. I think initially they wanted to play 3-5-2 to get the 4 and two 8's or two 4's and an 8 in central midfield, but Semenyo has given us the option of playing 4-3-3 with a forward who is happy playing wide. I think we looked really effective (eventually) in that structure.

Only going by what Holden has said over time, but I think the 3 at the back is his favoured set up. We went to 4 when we were struggling with numbers. The 4-3-3 or variation of, is plan 'B'.

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

No you completely misunderstood what I meant.

I hope Vyner and Kalas stay fit and keep playing like this. And if we keep with the 4 at the back then no need to rotate them if they do stay fit.

Of course we need back up options in case they are unavailable, which will be Mariappa, Mawson, Moore and Baker.

Ideally I'd like a pair to be playing regularly who have built up an understanding and compliment each other well, like Vyner and Kalas are showing.

I think it’s completely unrealistic to expect any centre half to not need a rest, regardless of whether they are injured or not, they still have to run from the half-way line back to goal at speed (depending on oppositions type of break) & sprint to get out to try & catch the opposition off-side. 
And regardless of fitness, there is form as well, another reason to rotate defenders, the same as anyone else on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think centre backs sprint anywhere near as much as most other positions, so don't usually need to be rested. I can't imagine whoever wins this league will be a team that rests a centre back or 2 every now and then.

If they start looking bad as a partnership or are injured or suspended then of course that is different. But randomly resting one or two when they are playing well to give one or two others a go, not for me.

You’ve clearly never played centre-half at any level, have you?

It’s ‘randomly resting’ them, that helps them avoid picking up injuries, especially if they have to be rushed back from an injury because you have very few options & this is where having a squad comes in. It is very rare that anyone will go through a season without their form dropping off.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I think the system changed a bit 2nd half. Much prefer the look of 2 in front of the defence.

Thing is with centre backs I don't think they usually need rotating. They don't run like most other positions do.

Mawson back from another very bad injury. He's not our player either. Had a dodgy season last season according to Fulham fans. 

He was good for us, but imo not any better than Vyner the other side. By that point if Kalas and Vyner are still the partnership and they have had all that experience alongside each other and are looking good. I really don't see a reason to change it. 

A lot of ifs there of course. But as things are if Mawson returned now then he's back up for me if we go 4 at the back.

I'm not too sure about the highlighted bit.

I still see punts up the pitch from Vyner (coupled with a few decent long passes), whereas you get fairly accurate long passes from Mawson as well as the ability to bring the ball out from defence ala Webster. Way better than Vyner at this time - not to say that Vyner doesn't have it in him to reach the same standard as Mawson.

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

You're not seeing what I'm seeing. I see long passes, quite telling passes like last night for the first goal. Sure the odd one goes astray, but generally Vyner is pretty accurate and not just aimlessly punting the ball.

I did qualify it..

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Does he even get in the side right now? Vyner superb. Kalas best defender we have for me. Not a bad problem to have.

Mawson is a class act imho

56 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I think it’s completely unrealistic to expect any centre half to not need a rest, regardless of whether they are injured or not, they still have to run from the half-way line back to goal at speed (depending on oppositions type of break) & sprint to get out to try & catch the opposition off-side. 
And regardless of fitness, there is form as well, another reason to rotate defenders, the same as anyone else on the pitch.

To be honest CB is one of the least running / running intensive / speed positions on the pitch....

....it’s why I played there! ?

Seriously though, it’s based on fact.

1ECED34D-959C-4D47-B471-5796A267F931.thumb.jpeg.b3641a2e5dd9c61e298a876abe0f3e71.jpeg

Because of things like handing off the marking of your opponent, offside lines, etc, as a centre back you do less “load” than other positions - 17.7% less than a Central Midfielder.

Its another reason why I argue that you don’t need to rotate CBs as often as other players and in a regular season you might play them every game.

So, I’m in agreement with Jon on workload....not on Mawson’s class though ?

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Agreed to second sentence. Traditionally in football as long as I can remember, managers do not like changes to the back three/four consisting of goalkeeper and central defenders. It's because the longer they stay together, the better they know what and when the others will do. Central defence in the central part of the penalty area is very fast reactions and a lot of instinct. Elsewhere on the pitch there is more room and doesn't immediately lead to conceding a goal. Playing together builds the partnerships that are so unique to that part of a team.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Mawson is a class act imho

To be honest CB is one of the least running / running intensive / speed positions on the pitch....

....it’s why I played there! ?

Seriously though, it’s based on fact.

1ECED34D-959C-4D47-B471-5796A267F931.thumb.jpeg.b3641a2e5dd9c61e298a876abe0f3e71.jpeg

Because of things like handing off the marking of your opponent, offside lines, etc, as a centre back you do less “load” than other positions - 17.7% less than a Central Midfielder.

Its another reason why I argue that you don’t need to rotate CBs as often as other players and in a regular season you might play them every game.

So, I’m in agreement with Jon on workload....not on Mawson’s class though ?

Not with the current fixture schedule though, as I have explained elsewhere, playing every 3-4 days means they play, next day off & then depending on where the next game is they could get 1 days training while the next day is traveling/playing again & repeat for 6 weeks before there is any sign of a break in that schedule. It simply isn’t possible to expect players to play, especially at that standard (which is faster & more intense than most levels of football) & let’s not forget the mental toll it takes on players as well!

25 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Not with the current fixture schedule though, as I have explained elsewhere, playing every 3-4 days means they play, next day off & then depending on where the next game is they could get 1 days training while the next day is traveling/playing again & repeat for 6 weeks before there is any sign of a break in that schedule. It simply isn’t possible to expect players to play, especially at that standard (which is faster & more intense than most levels of football) & let’s not forget the mental toll it takes on players as well!

I also said in a “regular season”. ?

Archived