IGNORED

Bloke on the radio just now ('66 World Cup)

Bristol Oil Services

Written a book. We only won the WC because it was a stitch up, Stanley Rous arranging "suitable" referees, and:

"we played every game at Wembley  ... we never had that 'away team' experience"

Yeah, that's a ****ing World Cup that you host in your own country, you ****ing moron. You tend to play games in front of your own crowd. Ffs. I know we should’ve played our semi at Goodison, and Rous arranged it so that we stayed at Wembley but we'd have rinsed Portugal at a club ground, on a night game, in front of 60,000 Evertonians. We'd have been backed by an atmosphere Wembley never had.

Would Argentina have won in '78 anywhere else in the world than Argentina. Likely not. Have Italy and Italian clubs always won things fair and square? Very doubtful. Was '66 the only WC where the hosts had more than a helping hand and things "go" their way? No.

We really could stop beating ourselves up about every-bloody-thing. 

I am slightly too young (as I was only 3 then) by my Dad has always said that Nobby Stiles was basically allowed to kick Eusebio out of the semi final by the ref.

Loads of World Cups have been dodgy, post 1970 I haven’t seen too many where those FIFA darlings Brazil haven’t had some outrageous decisions go their way & we all know about 1978 in Argentina, but whilst it is great that we won it, I doubt this one was so very different.

Don’t think I would waste my time writing a book about it, though.

Archived