IGNORED

Sheffield Wednesday- more fiscal issues?

Mr Popodopolous

Looks like they may not be paying their players correctly!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9066639/Crisis-club-Sheffield-Wednesday-vow-pay-players-time-December.html

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-players-not-paid-full-issue-be-dealt-promptly-3071213

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-players-fuming-not-23178777

Odd for a club who 'received' £60m a couple of years ago! :laugh:

Hopefully the Football League will act in the appropriate manner. Not the first time this is rumoured to have happened either.

Soft embargo for January would surely hole them below the water line- points deduction? Macclesfield got one, albeit theirs may have been more of a recurring issue!

Would be great if the Football League could find a way to re award their 6 pts they got reprieved for this.

Clubs run such as them and Derby, deserve League One.

I will caveat my post a bit.

Feel sorry for the genuine and decent fans- being run into the ground by an out of depth owner is never a good thing. Not their fault.

However, some seem to find it funny on OwlsTalk or social media- putting aside my condemnation of their financial management, it's a big red flag- when wages are late, or partially paid or paid in instalments, it's a big red flag surely- for a business, or in this instance a football club! Don't see there is much that's funny about it, certainly not for fans of said club.

Sold for £60m- if we can believe such a figure given that the last significant work on it was mid 1990's, ahead of Euro 96? Getting a little off topic but having looked at all of their valuations from 1990 to 2014, that'd be valued from 1990 which was the first year of development for shift to all-seater to the 2014 valuation, £60m is interestingly high!

Times have moved on yeah- they seem to have some problems!

Whenever we think of SL and some of his flaws, should remember that there are much, much worse/inept owners out there.

1 minute ago, markcarter said:

In disarray and Pulis as manager.  You’ve really got to feel sorry for the supporters - no-one deserves Pulis.

They must be cursing the day Chansiri took over. From what I watch and read the club have no soul anymore and most fans are resigned to visiting the likes of the Horfield tented village next season. 

If there was, to use an overused phrase, a car crash of a club, it`s them at this moment in time.

19 minutes ago, markcarter said:

In disarray and Pulis as manager.  You’ve really got to feel sorry for the supporters - no-one deserves Pulis.

I feel sorry for a proportion of their supporters on one level.

OTOH though, they're FFP cheats- owners fault and maybe that of his 'advisers' granted- so yeah hope they go down!

I might also add, thinking about it- quite a lot on Owlstalk and possibly other social media too, when news of Stadium sale came through, they were gloating, were boastful from what I read back in 2019- so not too much sympathy from me in retrospect!

Think some of them, maybe most have the right idea about it but the mental gymnastics or downright idiocy of some.

A conundrum isn't it especially with FFP ,I've heard nothing from the EFL saying they are suspending the rules and allowing owners to subsidise the business.

when businesses start to write checks to pay invoices with no money in the bank they are trading illegally and is akin to fraud if if it is done knowingly

I don't know, some people don't know where to look clearly- Covid losses for this and last season will be excluded from the calculations! Or maybe 'doesn't know' where to look, so they can have a good moan, or to justify.

I'm not sure this second part washes- surely many clubs are in the same boat, maybe even a variety of businesses- that said maybe the poster is right but it doesn't seem to be an issue in general! Clutching a bit?

Some Sheffield Wednesday fans are an interesting breed let's say...

Contractual obligations- let's have a look!

You're not being paid what you should CONTRACTUALLY should be, seemingly and you're meant to keep quiet for the sake of avoiding an embargo that might see you replaced?

Is it a common theme/thread with clubs who wear blue and white shirts I wonder? :)

I've never got the love-in for them on here.

On 19/12/2020 at 17:56, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some Sheffield Wednesday fans are an interesting breed let's say...

Contractual obligations- let's have a look!

You're not being paid what you should CONTRACTUALLY should be, seemingly and you're meant to keep quiet for the sake of avoiding an embargo that might see you replaced?

Is it a common theme/thread with clubs who wear blue and white shirts I wonder? :)

I've never got the love-in for them on here.

I think it extends as far as they're not Sheffield United. 

Archived