IGNORED

One Voice Singing in the Darkness

Abraham Romanovich

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Certainly has, hasn't he.

It's like watching a game of chess and, as a spectator sport, almost as uninteresting.

Started pre Pep but his style surely accelerated it.

That said, I'm unsure that style of football is so bad. Possession sides can be high scoring, his Barcelona side were brilliant for a time.

The way they could totally dominate even strong sides, where's the boring element. 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That said, I'm unsure that style of football is so bad. Possession sides can be high scoring, his Barcelona side were brilliant for a time.

The way they could totally dominate even strong sides, where's the boring element. 

Dont compare Barca players with Bristol City players.??

9 minutes ago, marmite said:

Dont compare Barca players with Bristol City players.??

Oh of course, that team was fantastic. Had a hell of a lot more cash, plus a Golden generation from La Masia.

Wouldn't look to compare us for one minute but the principle of quick passing yet possession dominance, interchanging especially in front 3 and pressing high, this has to be good!

Elements of tiki taka with Bielsa and Leeds, Brentford of last season especially. Championship version? Stylistically, not quality obviously!

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Although my previous comment was very much tongue in cheek (of course it’s not Peps ‘fault’!), I do believe that the fashion for a lot of teams to now mimic that possession style of football has made for less interesting football a lot of the time. Whilst appreciating very much the incredible skill levels involved in that Barça side I genuinely found it uninspiring a lot of the time and that’s the very very best players in the world playing it.  When teams with nowhere near that skill level try and play that way the spectacle generally is a lot worse.  

10 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

He strutted around the club like a ***** 

Thought he was something he wasn’t , Was a bullier of younger players , and had too much to say

Was the worst after dinner speaker ever.  If he said “did I tell you I was captain of Leeds....” once he must’ve said it half a dozen times.  The yawns around the room were funnier than him.

7 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I seriously don’t see why we can’t have the best of both worlds? Let’s keep the nutritionists and the conditioning coaches, I like to see elite athletes playing the game.

But let us go back to more direct football played with pace and physicality (without hearing the ref’s whistle every time someone attempts a hint of a tackle) and wingers crossing from the by-line. Jumpers for goalposts, etc...

Trouble now is that the players are all coached to go down at the slightest touch. Opponents don't even argue now and seem to accept it as part of the game. Diving to win a free kick or penalty also seems to be part of the game these days. Maybe I'm an old fart now but the game really isn't the same as the one I fell in love with. And don't even get me started on Downsey shouting his mouth off, pre-match crap music drowning out any danger of fans creating an atmosphere by engaging verbal exchanges with opposition fans, players walking out side by side, meaningless handshake nonsense, lights left on during the game. Oh how did it get to this?

9 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I dont mind the increase in stats, however when it's become robotic to the point of ennui, then there's a problem. Goalkick, nope, tap to someone in the area so can keep possession. In many cases it's suicidal for the team taking the kick. Pass back to the CB and spend 6 weeks side to side or playing dreadful passes dont help either. I get why, but it's dull, lacks invention and with the intensity on such stats as 'Xg' then the fun gets sucked out of it

Make Goal Kicks have to be goal kicks and not passes again and that's a start

It's not for me, Man City vs Man United recently is actually the worst game of 'football' I have ever seen as a result of the modern way. I have never been so bored

What about Man Utd vs Leeds yesterday? A brilliant game of football. Yes man utd man city was terrible but that happens, not every game of football can be amazing. People are going on like there was no poor games in the 70s and 80s. When looking back you only remember the good games/memories I'm sure there was plenty of shite served up to. In 30 years time people will be saying the same rubbish about football today.

Archived