IGNORED

Who would you recall?

Berkshire Red

53 minutes ago, Gifford said:

We shouldn’t have loaned anyone out, just for this season due to the increased potential for postponed games, even if it seemed that we did have about 30 midfielders and plenty of cover in defence . 

This is true (with the benefit of hindsight).

We're in such a pickle, Marley Watkins would improve us right now - and I never thought I'd say that in a million years.

Unfortunately... he's injured!

Or at least he was in November. He may well have returned to us for his rehab, in which case we'll know how near  he is to being fit again. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

I know I’ve changed my tune a bit and I’ve spent the last 4 season or so being eternally positive, perhaps this time round I’m a bit more pessimistic given the trends over those last 4 seasons.

Absolutely agree that it’s not impossible for us to get back in the hunt for the playoffs and just 2 wins could do that and lift the whole mood. Momentum does funny things in football!

I think my general feeling is, given what I’ve seen so far this season, add in the injuries and FFP, I think we’re unlikely to find the improvements needed to seriously, consistently challenge the top 6 this year.

(I’m pretty willing to accept a ‘re-building’ or transitional season TBH, so long as it’s used for us to come back stronger next time)

As always though mate, I’m more than happy to be proved wrong!!

Hey, I’m similar too....I usually side on the side of optimism....but like all things you have to watch the signs.

When we beat Huddersfield and Cardiff after a little winless run, I was willing to accept Holden say that he was stung by Norwich and needed to stay in games longer.  That was fine to rebuild confidence and start imposing ourselves again.  But that hasn’t happened.

I put a lot of effort into evaluating the caretaker spell and early season games against the previous season, both from watching games and looking at data.  Those 10-12 games were very different from what we’ve seen dished up of late.  I’d argue with anyone who said those opening games were more of the same (as LJ).  But what we’ve seen lately is exactly that.  That’s the worry.

Yes, we look further away from top 6 at the mo, and you’d be a brave man to back a positive change today.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’d see whether Swansea had any interest in buying Palmer first, assuming not, I’d recall him.

I’d bring back Pring, as Dasilva looks like he will be out for a while, so Rowe needs LB competition/cover.

I’d recall James Morton from Grimsby, Holloway has 7 loan players & can only use 5, meaning he hasn’t featured there in a month. He can’t go on loan elsewhere (3 club rule) but may as well be in contention for a place on our bench as opposed to sat in the stand at Grimsby.

Depending on what happened with Palmer I’d consider recalling one of Adelakun or Jonny Smith.

We have been fielding a bench with between 4 & 6 players who have never started a league game at any level of late, we cannot rely on waiting until some of the LT injured return so need to bring back a minimum of 3, possibly 4.

Pring, Morton and Jonny Smith, all left footed. Pring and Jonny Smith could play wing back if that formation is used.

Morton, IMO and from what I've seen of him, similar midfielder to Nagy.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Pring, Morton and Jonny Smith, all left footed. Pring and Jonny Smith could play wing back if that formation is used.

Morton, IMO and from what I've seen of him, similar midfielder to Nagy.

Looked more like a young Tinman from the little I've seen -  very accomplished passer of the ball and quick to see, and try, the long diagonal pass to the winger/wing back storming down the wing.

Hope he's recalled - being a City fan he won't lack motivation should he get his chance.

Palmer, Watkins. Adelakun, he was very good in Posh think he is doing alright in Hull. Something must happen, as it look now the midfield is not creative and our forwards have seldom passes to score. Palmer may have done not so good in City but I would give him a chance. COD have played 136 games, 6 goals, 9 assists. Compare Palmer-COD.

Archived