IGNORED

Spot the similarities

Dr Balls

I know the response to the current Arsenal situation is a bit overblown and this article in the Grauniad is written in prose that would not be out of place in Private Eye’s “Pseuds Corner”, but there are some clear similarities between Arsenal at the moment and some of our own current issues and set-up.

Choose for yourself which ones you think match!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/25/arsenals-problems-lie-with-kroenkes-ownership-rather-than-arteta

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Poor little Arsenal and their fans.

A national disaster ten times worse than Covid!

Let's all feel sorry for them. Perhaps a first ever relegation would make the privileged sods feel a bit closer to reality than their dream world.

They wouldn't cope with relegation. And now that they won't be "promoted" via a football league vote, would they ever get back.

The headline “Arsenal's problems lie with Kroenke's ownership rather than Arteta” is a good read across to City. SL is a wonderful owner in terms of long term financial stability but he has some big flaws when it comes to appointing managers / coaches and what happens on the pitch 

7 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

I'd love to see arsenal relegated....

My old man would never live it down after slagging off Championship football...could say I would enjoy playing him in the championship....(if Holden can stop hemorrhaging games that is)

Was only saying to Joe the other day how good it would be to go to the Emirates for a league match.  Was the first football ground I took him too.

Cant see Arsenal going down though.

13 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Why would they not be able to cope?

Simply because they are not set up to fail & they don't strike me as a club that has a disaster plan. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't have relegation clauses in their players contracts or would know what to do when they lose half their fanbase. They essentially bought their way into the first division at the expense of Spurs, so I guess there will be no sympathy lost there if the unthinkable did happen.

Judging by last nights result against Chelsea, talk of Arsenal's demise is premature.

22 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Poor little Arsenal and their fans.

A national disaster ten times worse than Covid!

Let's all feel sorry for them. Perhaps a first ever relegation would make the privileged sods feel a bit closer to reality than their dream world.

They were relegated in 1913.

I agree though, a relegation might help improve the attitude of their spoilt fans.

Not sure about similarities but I can think of one important difference. If you offered to swap current ownership with the Arsenal ownership to most supporters over the top two divisions I doubt you would get too many takers. In comparison most supporters even in the PL would take SL as their owner in an instant. 

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

They were relegated in 1913.

I agree though, a relegation might help improve the attitude of their spoilt fans.

They were....and bought their way into not being relegated when the league re-started after the war.

David Conn’s book the Beautiful Game has a chapter dedicated to this.  If you then read later the part David Dein played in the way finances are now less regulated, many would have any sympathy for Arsenal.

Archived